Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dedicated server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Dedicated server

Looking for a new dedicated server provider. I currently have:
2 dedicated servers from Nocix ( I started experiencing ftp disconnects and unable to connects to both of them)

I then got a server from Whole Sale Internet, which surprise has the same issue ( i didn't know they were pretty much the same provider.

I then Got one from Dacentec. The server is great, however I keep getting random drop outs on RDP and its Extremely slow.

I know from the surface it seems as though i'd have a network issue on my end. However its not the case, other users on the ftp are experiencing the same issue with Nocix and WSI. its not isolated.

The Dacentec Issue happens from home as well as from work which connects from Michigan while my home connection is from texas.

Im looking for a good provider with a good network ( nocix has been fine for years, its not until about 3 months ago things started failing ftp wise. Dacentec hardware was fine but i cant remotely admin the server from a rdp that keeps dropping or has a 10 sec delay between clicks.

Comments

• You've sent in support tickets explaining your issues right?

Also you haven't gone into detail about specs and locations you're looking for. Also a budget.

• not possible, wsi network n servers aren't that bad

• TheLinuxBugTheLinuxBug Member
    edited August 2016

Have you tried changing the port of your FTP to see if by the amount of connections you are getting on port (I am assuming here) 21 could be considered DDOS and trigger their protection or something? It just sounds weird to me that you would have drop outs otherwise on the most commonly used ports on any network. What in full are you doing on these servers? Could you also have another service on there with a high packet output/input that could also be causing some of these issues by overwhelming your network interface?

I am just interested in how you have tested this and what the actual issue is as it sounds a bit odd.

I am headed out for a few hours, but if you leave that information or would like some help troubleshooting I am sure some people here would be happy to help you out in the meantime.

Cheers!

• Sorry i was heading out of work, I rushed through my first post.

Let me tackle these questions.

Yes i have sent support tickets to nocix, around May nocix had a switch go bad they said and its been iffy since then. However the two servers I have with them are not on the same switch.

i am a security person first, I do not operate my ftp on port 21, its usually running on a higher random port like 1692, or something. Connections are made via explicit TLS ok a 128bit cipher. Yes i have tried changing the port.

I've tested the ftp issues pretty thoroughly, I've experienced the drop out issue and no connection issue from home as well as work as I have said. Its only about 8 users that login via ftp and all 8 are never logged in at the same time, however all 8 have the same issues from work and home. This encompass comcast and ATT.

The two nocix servers are both multi cpu servers with gigabit connections. Nothing is running on port 80.

Users use the ftp to store and upload cad models and project files for jobs we are working on.

Filezilla client is being utilized, to filezilla ftp server in both nocix servers. if you're wondering why I have 2 at nocix, i bought a lower priced 30.00 nocix server just to test and see if this was isolated to my current main server. Prior to may i have had no issues with nocix, datashack in over 4 years.

Aside from the ftp connect everything else is top notch, RDP is flawless and anything else i do is nearly realtime, i often forget im on the server.

The dacentec issue is a drop of connection, heavy lag as well.. Its not isolated to windows,

I loaded windows 2008 / and 2012 same issue. I then loaded esxi and while connected via vsphere it will drop out as well. its a shame as i really like everything else about dacentec. I sent them a MTR and they ran a test and said speeds are acceptable, which they are except via RDP.

My specs are as follows

Dacentec : dual xeon e5520, 16GB Ram, 4 1TB HDD in a raid 10, Server 2012.. $55.00

Nocix : Processor E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz
    Ram 32 GiB $0.00
    Disk 4 TB $0.00
    Operating System Ubuntu 15.04
    Bandwidth 33TB on 1Gbit Port .... $56.00

Operating System Ubuntu 15.04
    Processor Phenom II X6 1045T
    Ram 16 GiB
    Disk 128 GB SSD 2x 1 TB
    ..$30.00

the WSI i dont even remember or bother with once i saw it had the same issue as nocix.

The FTP issue has actually been talked about other places, they said prolems came after switching to HE for bandwidth.

Thats a quick rundown of whats going on. my budget really id like to stay under 60.00 i know the configs i have from nocix are pretty good, especially the one with ssd but i care more about reliability and throughput

• SFTP?

Or run a VPN to connect to the machine?

• sftp will be what i test next to get away from the passive ports on ftp... already ahead on that one

• guess no one has any provider recomendations...

• OVH/Kimsufi? They are cheap and work well until something goes wrong and you need help.

• myhkenmyhken Member
    edited August 2016

I have a strange issue with my dedicated servers, can't connect to FTP. CentOS 6.8 and Virtualmin. (using ProFTP)
    Happens with just dedicated servers, different location (EU/US). Same setup work without any issue on my Hyper-V servers and VPS servers from different providers.
    The solution to the dedicated servers issue was using SFTP.

• i only need help with hardware lol, Id like somewhere that has OS's you can load yourself, I find myself flipping through distros alot. Generally I like Esxi support or citrix that way i can load my test environments.

• i ran a vmware virtual machine with windows inside of a debian host and replicated the same issue.. I will be testing the Sftp today. I believe filezilla server doesn't support sftp anyone reccond a good windows sftp server?

• genocide said: I believe filezilla server doesn't support sftp anyone reccond a good windows sftp server?

It does, just go to File > Site Manager... > New Site > and select SFTP as the protocol. For an alternative, perhaps you can check out Bitvise SSH client: it supports both terminal console and SFTP.

• joerijoeri Member, Host Rep, LIR
    edited August 2016

@myhken said:
    I have a strange issue with my dedicated servers, can't connect to FTP. CentOS 6.8 and Virtualmin. (using ProFTP)
    Happens with just dedicated servers, different location (EU/US). Same setup work without any issue on my Hyper-V servers and VPS servers from different providers.
    The solution to the dedicated servers issue was using SFTP.

Try this

/etc/init.d/iptables save

/etc/init.d/iptables stop

chkconfig iptables off

Thanked by 1myhken
  • Verelox said: It does, just go to File > Site Manager... > New Site > and select SFTP as the protocol. For an alternative, perhaps you can check out Bitvise SSH client: it supports both terminal console and SFTP.

thats the client not the server ;)

• genocide said: thats the client not the server ;)

Oops! Sorry, I missed the "filezilla server" part - maybe you can install OpenSSH for Windows (link) or Bitvise SSH server (link) in that case; it has support for SFTP as far as I know