Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

IPv6 dhclient auto-configuration script (Online.net) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

IPv6 dhclient auto-configuration script (Online.net)

2»

Comments

• Long time not checking this post... please open up issues in GitHub and I'll check them more often :)

@GM2015 said:
    Can we uninstall this script without reinstalling the entire OS?

I had to reformat my kide a couple of times due to networking and again, last time I assigned my entire /48 to the kide.

There's no uninstall option but if you just want to change that you can edit either /etc/network/interfaces (Debian) or /etc/systemd/system/ipv6-dhclient.service (CentOS and the like) and assign the correct range.

@sipe said:
    I'm still having "fun" with IPv6. Dedi is kidechire, distro is Ubuntu 15.10 x64.

Sorry, I haven't tested it outside LTS and I don't plan to give much support since if you decide to go for Ubuntu in a server you should IMHO stick to LTS. Of course if you find out the problem and send a PR to the repo I'll be glad to accept it and give proper credit.

@heyzzx said:
    ipv6-dhclient-script.sh: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token newline' ipv6-dhclient-script.sh: line 4:<!DOCTYPE html>'

You have probably downloaded this (wrong) instead of this (correct).

Thanked by 2GM2015 sipe
  • GM2015GM2015 Member
    edited January 2016

Thanks! I've just found my brain-remnants after a few days and dared to looked inside the files.

This /etc/network/interfaces and /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf will need to be updated I guess with the new address and "netmask" as a /56 range, and the appropriate duid in /etc/dhcp/dhclient6.conf.

if it doesn't work, it's either rescue mode or reinstall!

For some reason, the server didn't like me restarting the networking service and had to reboot it. Not sure if it's entirely stupid to that(probably it is), but it causes no issue on my laptop.

After the reboot, I got the proper /56 assigned. Hooray. Now I just wish I knew how I could assign /64-s where I want.

outime said: There's no uninstall option but if you just want to change that you can edit either /etc/network/interfaces (Debian) or /etc/systemd/system/ipv6-dhclient.service (CentOS and the like) and assign the correct range.

• Latest commits add support for Debian 8 (also under Proxmox VE thanks to a recent PR) :)

• Has anyone got this working on Debian 8 .

I have changed options ipv6 disable=1 to options ipv6 disable=0 in /etc/modprobe.d/local.conf

And added ipv6 to /etc/modules

• elgselgs Member

@outime it seems the gateway is not assigned to the IPv6 addresses. How did you find the gateway address? Thanks.

• sinsin Member
    edited July 2016

Just incase this helps anyone out...

On Ubuntu 16.04 I had to add net.ipv6.conf.yourinterfacenamehere.accept_dad = 0

to /etc/sysctl.conf to get IPv6 working properly on my Dedibox SC 2016. https://www.agwa.name/blog/post/beware_the_ipv6_dad_race_condition

Online.net put up a new guide for their IPv6 and have a systemd service config you can use

Thanked by 1elgs
  • elgselgs Member

@sin before you added it to /etc/sysctl.conf, what was the problem? My problem now is that the gateway information is not assigned.

• sinsin Member

@elgs said:
    @sin before you added it to /etc/sysctl.conf, what was the problem? My problem now is that the gateway information is not assigned.

When my server would boot up the ipv6 address wouldn't bind to the interface because everything was coming up to fast and in Ubuntu 16.04 (and maybe Debian 8?) the interface gets locked so ipv6 can't bind to it. When I disabled DAD then ipv6 could bind to the interface and I was good to go.

I originally followed Online.net's new systemd ipv6 tutorial but dhclient.service would always show as "degraded" so I ended up doing it by making a dhclient6.conf and adding ipv6 to /etc/network/interfaces.

I used this guide: https://forum.online.net/index.php?/topic/4729-howto-ipv6-using-dhclient-for-ubuntu/

Thanked by 1elgs
  • outimeoutime Member
    edited August 2016

I've just added CentOS 6 support as some people asked for it. It works very well with the latest CentOS 6 provided by Online.net.

I'll check how it goes again with fresh Ubuntu 16.04 & Debian 8 setups to see if I can find any issues.

Update: Tested Ubuntu 16.04 and worked right away, at least with my kidéchiré. Debian 8 goes next.

Update 2: Debian 8 works as well, so the script should be working for all cases as expected.

• How do you get this to run on boot?

• sinsin Member

I'm having an issue where after a few days ipv6 stops working and I have to restart the network/or reboot for it to come back up/work again.

• Hi
    Script worked on Debian 10
    Thank you