Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Database Server Questions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Database Server Questions

Hi all, me and team planning to build web apis service.

i have no experience with this kind of website before, i usually handle website with large traffic not database server.

for starter one of table could be have 1-5 million of rows records and on future maybe have 10 million record. currently we planning use mysql, because im never used nosql / mongodb before. for concurrent process to write to mysql maybe 250-1000. and for query i need executed time average is under 500ms.

my question is what CPU model do you recomend and what backup method do you recomendation, i know its not possible with mysqldump because it will take a much time. and maybe any advice that maybe you ever have experience with this kind of web apis service.

thanks

Comments

• Its not just CPU, depending on the DB type, ram is gonna be needed. And DISK IO is the other big hurdle.
    You will want at least SSD's and heck if it is a small ish size, a ram disk may help it out.

• Hi,
    Switch mysql with mariadb or perconadb, cpu E5- E7
    use SSD as hard drives.
    backup, setup a budget server from ovh, install r1soft, and you have backup :)

• @andreblue said:
    Its not just CPU, depending on the DB type, ram is gonna be needed. And DISK IO is the other big hurdle.
    You will want at least SSD's and heck if it is a small ish size, a ram disk may help it out.

its innodb, what type ram is suitable. and for disk planning use ssd too. currenly im see SYS offer without setup fee, but prefer US location that on LA prefered.

do you have provider and server specs recomendation.

• Higher frequency of the CPU with enough RAM to fit in all your hot data.

SSD is a must..

• @racksx said:
    Hi,
    Switch mysql with mariadb or perconadb, cpu E5- E7
    use SSD as hard drives.
    backup, setup a budget server from ovh, install r1soft, and you have backup :)

mariadb is good, its any r1soft alternative to cut budget. i've vps storage and what tools usually used to make backup larger database, for small database i use mysqldump and rsync and cron it daily. do you any have provider suggestion that have location in US. thanks :)

@david_W said:
    Higher frequency of the CPU with enough RAM to fit in all your hot data.

SSD is a must..

any provider suggestion that located is US. and any backup method usually used, currently i have vps storage on diff location. thanks :)

• Mariadb create cluster, 1000 concurent connection will fu*ked up your single server

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Cache in RAM if possible, it is not so expensive these days. The biggest bottleneck will be IOPS, then you go for CPU. Although 1k connections will make a server struggle even if new-ish. There are ways to reduce the number of concurrent connections, in most cases, if you manage to cut them in half and you have lots of RAM, it will work very well even on slightly older hardware.

Thanked by 2vimalware andiklive
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider
    edited August 2016

I agree that RAM and I/O would be your first bottleneck. Get yourself a server with lots of RAM, and SSD to get rid of delays/latency caused by I/O slowness.
    With the right mysql/mariadb optimizations you can squeeze a lot performance out of a single server.

Thanked by 1andiklive
  • https://www.ovh.com/us/dedicated-servers/game/ If you look MC-128 has a shit ton of ram and a decent cpu.

• try to optimize the db layout and queries in first place. make use of indexes properly etc. pp.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited August 2016

The new E3s (v5 skylake) have increased 64gb of ram support. (if you're looking to colo)

fewer HIGH clocked cores over several avg clocked cores, used to be percona blog benchmark recommendation.

If your active-set of data is larger than 64gb, then E5 all the way. (single socket will probably be better)

edit: see MC128 gameserver link given above: 3.9Ghz E5 with 128GB ram.

All Databases like having the host hardware, all to itself.

Thanked by 1andiklive
  • i just talk to dev that will store data, he say maybe concurrent process is around 100 since it only private use, but i think it'll be 250-500 if after production will be serve more websites. cause in first month its only to store data and then next months will maintenance data and mostly run query to read data.

is OVH MC-32 will be suitable with my need or X5650 / L5640 is enough, my db data could be only 10gb. currently me and team is on budget under $75 and max is $100.

me and team planning to use some github project to test write fake data to database that using DO or Vultr that will be running couple hours or days before buying DS. its good idea? since it have different cpu model. if yes with how many core then.

and for backup i dont see solutions for now, master-master is not solutions in my case i think cause i need consistent backup. look like master-slave is my options and mysqldump it on slave. is any better ideas, i just need if server fail it have full backup on previous day and restore it. thanks

• Try higher cpu clock like e3 for busy db server

• @robohost said:
    Try higher cpu clock like e3 for busy db server

ok thanks for suggestion, is singlecore cpu with more clockspeed is better than multicore cpu with less clockspeed for performance since i see query is executed based on singlecore rather than multicore. im consider use E3 1245v2 than L5640. cause i just check SYS, is E3 1245v2 good for me for 100 concurrent process. thanks

• @andiklive said:

@robohost said:
    Try higher cpu clock like e3 for busy db server

ok thanks for suggestion, is singlecore cpu with more clockspeed is better than multicore cpu with less clockspeed for performance since i see query is executed based on singlecore rather than multicore. im consider use E3 1245v2 than L5640. cause i just check SYS, is E3 1245v2 good for me for 100 concurrent process. thanks

My experience host same website and similliar traffic at 4xL5630 vs 2x E3 123x shows E3 performs better

• @robohost said:
    My experience host same website and similliar traffic at 4xL5630 vs 2x E3 123x shows E3 performs better

thanks for your suggestion, i'll go with E3 then.