Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't fully start Ubuntu v16.04 on OpenVZ
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Can't fully start Ubuntu v16.04 on OpenVZ

smansman Member
edited August 2016 in General

I tried the official template as well as a few 3rd party templates I found here and there. They all do exactly the same thing. Only a few things start. Systemctl doesn't work but systemd daemon is running. That and bash are pretty much the only things running. Dbus is not running so I tried starting that and enabling it to start on boot but that doesn't fix it. There must be some other dependencies that are not starting to get basic systemctl running. I can run systemctl commands but it just gives an error once dbus is running. "Failed to get properties. Launch helper exited with unknown return code 1"

I can start individual services like ssh and networking using "service ssh start" etc. So I think it's probably just a matter of figuring out what basic services I need to start to get to the point where I can enable things to start automatically on boot.

Nothing wrong with my OpenVZ server. It runs everything and using a recent kernel and recent vzctl. So if I am having this problem a lot of other people must be too.

I also tried installing Ubuntu 15 and upgrading from there but it dies about half way through the upgrade.

Comments

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

What is you kernel version. Systemd support was added in a good bit newer kernel so that could very well be the problem.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Awmusic12635 said: Systemd support was added in a good bit newer kernel

Sigh...seriously? systemd is kernel-dependent? WTF does a startup script system need a particular kernel...

I know, I know. systemd is just better.

Thanked by 2cassa ronaldgrn
  • smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@Awmusic12635 said:
    What is you kernel version. Systemd support was added in a good bit newer kernel so that could very well be the problem.

Thanks for the suggestion.

I have other systemd OS's running on there so I thought my kernel was ok. I tried installing on a server with a newer kernel and it booted right up. So I guess you need an even newer OVZ kernel for Ubuntu 16.

• sinsin Member
    edited August 2016

That's odd, I haven't had any issues with Ubuntu 16.04 or systemd in OpenVZ. There's a few systemd services you can disable/mask since they won't do anything because of kernel but even then it still should work. This was all on older kernels too.

I've used Ubuntu 16.04 (by upgrading from 14.04 at the time) and systemd on Ramnode OpenVZ, liteserver.nl OpenVZ, MikroVPS OpenVZ, and HostUS OpenVZ and it works fine.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

You must need a kernel less than a year old. This particular server has a kernel that is about 1 year old (v108.8). Like I said, other systemd OS's run fine on it.

Probably one or two versions newer than that will work. Time to update it I guess.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran
    edited August 2016

@raindog308 said:

Sigh...seriously? systemd is kernel-dependent? WTF does a startup script system need a particular kernel...

You need to be on an OVZ 113.x+ kernel or someone that's ksplicing where they backported the patches to use Ubuntu 16.xx.

Welcome to OVZ :(

Francisco

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@Francisco said:

@raindog308 said:

You need to be on an OVZ 113.x+ kernel or someone that's ksplicing where they backported the patches to use Ubuntu 16.xx.

Welcome to OVZ :(

Francisco

OpenVZ is awesome. I love everything about it....except updating kernels.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@sman said:

Well, maybe ask if the host if they have another node :)

Francisco

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@Francisco said:

@sman said:

Well, maybe ask if the host if they have another node :)

Francisco

Ok,

Hi sman, sman here. Do you have another node or can you update the kernel.

sman response: yes

• Is Lxd a viable replacement yet?

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

vimalware said: Is Lxd a viable replacement yet?

nope

• vimalware said: Is Lxd a viable replacement yet?

If you own the server and it is for your use only, I think yes. For commercial deployment, certainly not...

• sinsin Member

vimalware said: Is Lxd a viable replacement yet?

Some hosts like Kinsta are using LXD in production/hosting customers and the LXD team stated it was production ready but I would be hesitant to use it on production stuff. I'm playing around with it right now on personal projects and it's been great though.

• LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

I can confirm that Ubuntu 16.04 works just fine on OpenVZ. An upgrade from an earlier Ubuntu version, or the Ubuntu 16.04 template that OpenVZ provides - all work over here :-)

Thanked by 1sin
  • vimalware said: Is Lxd a viable replacement yet?

Yes - but people prefer tested, tried and true and LXD hasn't been deployed widely yet...

• NdhaNdha Member

@sin said:
    I've used Ubuntu 16.04 (by upgrading from 14.04 at the time) and systemd ... HostUS OpenVZ and it works fine.

Do you had any Memory vSwap problem using Ubuntu 16.04 with HostUS OpenVZ??

Upgrade from 14.04 also did clean reinstall using HostUS 16.04 template it seems Memory vSwap is missing or not detect.

I just realize when i see memory tab in nixstat panel there is no vSwap on it also when using freevps benchmark.

• smansman Member
    edited August 2016

@LiteServer said:
    I can confirm that Ubuntu 16.04 works just fine on OpenVZ. An upgrade from an earlier Ubuntu version, or the Ubuntu 16.04 template that OpenVZ provides - all work over here :-)

With a newer kernel it works just fine. I have been running systemd OS's (CentOS 7 and Debian 8) for several months in production on OpenVZ for my most critical stuff. So I am confident that Ubuntu 16 would be just as reliable on OpenVZ. It just seems to require a slightly newer kernel.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I just don't like running such an old kernel in 2016.

Moved off ovz for everything, except personal Vpn.

• smansman Member

@vimalware said:
    I just don't like running such an old kernel in 2016.

Moved off ovz for everything, except personal Vpn.

They back port everything that is required. The OVZ kernel guys are on the linux kernel development team and really know their stuff.

I have not run into any issues due to the kernel version. Running a server node is not like running a desktop where you want all the latest fancy drivers and features.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @sman said:
    Running a server node is not like running a desktop where you want all the latest fancy drivers and features.

cgroups and namespaces.

Like Proxmox, I'm picking the fastest improving horse for all workloads.

I do understand ovz is considered more stable for hosting operators ATM.
    It could be a matter of months before that changes.