Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Xen, KVM or OpenVZ for private server? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Xen, KVM or OpenVZ for private server?

Comments

• @smooch1502 KVM + a dual core CPU, it's hard to say. It's up to you, but I wouldn't offer it as a commercial product. For my needs for example a dedicated server like yours would be more than enough, but I wouldn't like to share it with others (like I said, only friends, people who you know, and family).

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep
    edited October 2012

One of our internal OpenVZ nodes is running an Intel Atom 230 with 2GB of RAM with a 5400RPM laptop hard drive. Not the best performance but it's not used for public facing stuff and the most demanded process running on it is java (CrashPlan).

• @marcm Don't think i'm going to bother selling any then. As you said, it's probably best to just keep this for personal use.

• Just FYI, OpenVZ (Even with VSwap) + Java just don't mix, can only use about half of the allocated RAM.
    ^^ Not overselling

• @smooch1502 said: Just FYI, OpenVZ (Even with VSwap) + Java just don't mix, can only use about half of the allocated RAM.

^^ Not overselling

Really?

[root@tekkit ~]# free -m
                 total       used       free     shared    buffers     cached
    Mem:          1024       1023          0          0          0         29
    -/+ buffers/cache:        993         30
    Swap:         1024        374        649
    [root@tekkit ~]# uname -a
    Linux tekkit.d3vm.net 2.6.32-042stab061.2 #1 SMP Fri Aug 24 09:07:21 MSK 2012 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
    20:11:54 [INFO] Maximum memory: 1,024 MB
    20:11:54 [INFO] Allocated memory: 1,023 MB
    20:11:54 [INFO] Free memory: 189 MB
  • @smooch1502 said: can only use about half of the allocated RAM.

Why? You may want to contact your provider about having their VPSes setup incorrectly somehow, if you're experiencing this.

• I am the provider, haha..
    I've looked at just about every setting i can, i can only run about one java instance in the VM unless i assign each very low memory -Xmx, -Xms

• @smooch1502 Please show us your /proc/user_beancounters from inside the VM

• OpenVZ with vswap has been working great with Java. There's not only min/max memory settings, but garbage collector, permgen amount, codecache amount, native heap amount, threads and thread stack size, etc.

Lots of settings. It depends on your app/code.

• @smooch1502 said: Just FYI, OpenVZ (Even with VSwap) + Java just don't mix, can only use about half of the allocated RAM.

Bullshit. You/your provider must be doing something wrong.

• @lele0108 using the vzctl tool, how would i tune the container to work better with java? vmguarpages, vmprivpages all set like http://chrisschuld.com/2009/09/adjusting-ram-for-an-openvz-vps/

except i also set vswap to about 512 MB RAM and no burst, eg : vzctl set ${cid} --privvmpages 256M --save

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

First make sure you have at least 2 vCPU.
    You do need a bit of vswap, indeed, that is good for linux to have a swap.
    Java will always have an issue with OVZ, but other than networking which cant usually be fixed due to the way venet works, throwing more pages at it will help as well as giving 2 vCPUs.

• It's kinda obvious that @smooch1502 has 512MB or 256MB assigned to his container, so he can't use all the RAM or Java will cry about lack of RAM.
    Burst and vSwap will help you bypass that though.

• Alright, i might go the Xen PV route, no issues with java from what i know. KVM HVM is overkill for me right now

edited December 2012

An excellent choice, if you wish to automate it for free, look at cloudmin GPL, just dont install it on debian, there are issues as it will always try to HVM it instead of PV.
    XCP works too and offers more control but needs extra tools to install on an windows pc for best experience and it is not really compatible with Xen formats.

• Which OS is preferred for cloudmin gpl xen pv lvm?

edited December 2012

centos 5. it works on ubuntu 10.04 too, with one minor problem, cpu weighting for guests, but needs some adjustments, for best oob experience, centos 5 as host,
    At partitioning make sure you create the vg but leave the space unpartitioned.

• Proxmox.

• I love KVM personally..over XEN. My experiences with XEN end user exp haven't been all that good.

• @smooch1502 said: except i also set vswap to about 512 MB RAM and no burst, eg : vzctl set ${cid} --privvmpages 256M --save

Then you limited the container to allocating 256mb.

• I second @David_P.

Xen --- the Citrix free one is where I started with admining a virtual system. It's completely different how it works. Not a fan of Xen, but it does work.

• So i thought i'd try out OpenVZ again and see how it goes, it's not that great with java though, vswap etc.

Xen PV might be the way to go, i'm just trying to find a management system for it.
    Cloudmin GPL looks good, i attempted to try it on a local vmware vm on my mac but xen hypervisor didn't boot (i'm assuming it cant be done).

I also tried citrix xenserver (vmware vm, VT-D enabled), overall it looks good but for some reason i can't set memory less than 512 MB when creating a CentOS VM, also can't find anything to setup a PV VPS on there.

I'd like to use Citrix XenServer on my dedicated server if i could find how to use less memory + pv.. Any suggestions?

1. KVM
    2. OpenVZ & Xen

They all work for my needs.

• @ishaq i tried KVM, it was just too much of an overkill for me. i don't need HVM.

Xen PV is really my only option

In vm environment xen hypervisor might not boot, i mean the kernel with xen.
    You will need a real server, for example I have a via c7 32 bits on which cloudmin works, but there are many limitations.
    800 mhz are not great and my 16 gb cf is not making things faster :)
    Do not use debian as host, will force you to use HVM, also debian 32 bit will not work without hvm, but everything else will.
    Centos 5 is the best bet for xen-pv and cloudmin.

• @Maounique I've asked my provider to install Citrix XenServer. I'll report back with my findings

xcp 1.6 is great and has no limitations.
    But the free xenserver will work also.

• Tried Citrix XenServer, no good for me.. Now to try CentOS 5 + cloudmin gpl

• Good luck @smooch1502 learning by fire.

Try Proxmox. It's simple and works post install.

just curious, why xenserver wasnt good ?