Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Opensource: simplest automatic single pure bash shell script for LetsEncrypt
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Opensource: simplest automatic single pure bash shell script for LetsEncrypt

neilpangneilpang Member
edited December 2015 in General

Just one script, to issue, renew your certificates automatically.

Probably the smallest&easiest&smartest shell script to automatically issue&renew the free certificates from LetsEncrypt.

https://github.com/Neilpang/le.git

Pure written in bash, no dependencies to python , acme-tiny or LetsEncrypt official client

Star & fork

Comments

• Awesome. This will come in handy

Thanked by 1netomx
  • sidewindersidewinder Member
    edited July 2016

I just used this and it seemed to work for apache... I guess the cronjob is needed bc the cert isn't valid for very long?

In any event, the script worked great and was so much faster than the convoluted nonsense we all had to endure previously to renew or have a new cert issued. I used the apache directive for the script but still had to manually change the ssl.conf file to point to new files.

Seems to have worked great.

Thanks for posting!!

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited July 2016

For the record, https://github.com/lukas2511/letsencrypt.sh is better, simpler, just works and needs 3 times less code (~1000 lines vs ~3000).

Thanked by 1Shot2
    edited July 2016

Thanks rm_, will def check it out for my other sites. What an unbelievable scam these
    CA's were for all these years. Glad its over and no longer held captive to their nonsense. I think it's one of the most egregious, scammy parts of the internet... especially with the CA's giving copies of the keys to the NSA... WTF............

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Wow. I experienced actual physical pain reading that 2,916 lines of tragedy.

Alas, LET won't let me tell you about it (have I ever told you how much CloudFlare's protection sucks @jarland ?) but you can find my detailed and rather snarky explanation why here:

http://pastebin.com/6uSrhRt3

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Oh and also:

edited July 2016

raindog308 said: Oh and also

It's a thread by the script author about the script. Given it still works and is still being developed (last update 4 days ago), what makes you think the thread is no longer of relevance and the discussion should stop? Just the reflex of "herp derp old thread must not bump"?

Thanked by 1justscheduled
    edited July 2016

Raindog, that pastebin is pretty hardcore.

It works for me so I am happy, but I feel u dog and all that...

edited July 2016

that pastebin

Oh, missed that one.

why in the name of all that's holy would you write this in shell?

Cuz you might not have anything else on a 4 MB of flash OpenWRT router? (For example.) Or you have other ideas in mind for that megabyte of flash which Python would take up. Just because the OP didn't do it well enough, doesn't mean there isn't any use for a shell-script LE client, or that nobody else can make a good one.

Also I don't think it makes any sense to even bring up LSB in 2016, or to suggest Perl of all things in a discussion about clear and easy to maintain code for that matter.

• Certbot.com ... Wanted to add this to the list

• miaumiau Member

Im fine with certbot.