Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Low End Predictions - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Low End Predictions

2»

Comments

• @24khost said: So now your talking at least a 2u server. with 512 mb ram and you better have the 18 disks cause else your i/o will be junk.

I use a 2U chassis, 12 drive with ssd cache, and my IO is far from junk, at least that is what the paying customers say. I am also not racing to the bottom in the pricing game, even as hardware costs decline, support costs go up. If you are going to be attractive to a wider audience, you have to provide a higher level of support to keep less tech savvy clients paying month after month.

• Tim when trying to use 512gb systems and putting 3gb openvz vps on them? When you start putting those vps's on thier your one problem will be disk i/o with out a super large raid. That is what i was talking about.

• to make it profitable to sell 3gb vps for $7.00

• @24khost I have kept quiet for the most part about the way you seem on the forums.... but I must ask - how old are you?

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited December 2012

@24khost said: Tim when trying to use 512gb systems and putting 3gb openvz vps on them?

Well, 512gb is overkill I think, I put 128gb in dual e5 systems, and my 2gb plan does have 4gb burst. Yes IO will be an issue with 512gb, but with an array that big, the cpu will be a bottleneck now as well. I'm spending ~$6k for a node down from $1700 for an e3 node, and putting about the same client load as 4 e3's onto an e5, so I am saving on cost, and power, as well as 50% on rack space. My idea for a proper system with 512gb of ram is not economically feasible yet. We aren't too far off from that day either I bet.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@24khost said: OpenVZ support for Windows.

I don't even.....

What is your facination with i/o you keep talking about it like you have a magical formula to figure out what each customer will use before you have them?

:) <-- smiley face means I am not being nasty

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited December 2012

@Corey I am 31

@AnthonySmith No but it is alot of what we base how many clients per server. we try to keep the disk i/o at very high levels. It is just our personal preference. We could probably put a lot more containers on our hardware but that is not how we roll.

@miTgiB as the SSD's get bigger and the servers get better I agree will all be able to maximize nodes better, and cut down the rack space we need. Do I think this is such a good thing yes and no. Only for the fact If one node goes down more clients are offline.

• Lowend cheap CDN

• I just like to see more quality, features and automation in VPS hosting business :)

• @24khost said: Do I think this is such a good thing yes and no. Only for the fact If one node goes down more clients are offline.

Hence this is LEB, you have to cut where you can to provide things, as node counts grow, bigger nodes are the way to go, I do not like the fact my solus bill could fund a 3rd world country. I think 2013 I will continue to grow with the current build I hav ebeen using with e5's, then in 2014 will start to retire e3's, every two I pull will be replaced with 1 e5, so still add 50% capacity to what I retire in the same space/power, but waiting til then when my e3 nodes start reaching 3 years in service

• with the benefit, you get the huge negative.

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@miTgiB said: I do not like the fact my solus bill could fund a 3rd world country

indeed, which brings me to my next prediction, a drop in solusvm replacement that has more scalable pricing after xx nodes

• @miTgiB said: I've abandoned this approach in exchange for standardization. I don't see much difference in price overall when buying higher grade, current gear compared to pinching every penny, after adding in lost customers due to hardware failures, credits given for downtime, cost to repair old hardware .....

Exactly what people have been giving Linode shit for doing for years.

• @serverbear said: Exactly what people have been giving Linode shit for doing for years.

I know there is some sarcasm in there, just not "getting it" right off. Linode is friggen huge, if I had even 1% of their customers I could retire, so 0.001% sitting here at LET bitching is not even a blip.

• serverbearserverbear Member
    edited December 2012

@miTgiB said: I know there is some sarcasm in there, just not "getting it" right off.

No sarcasm at all, it's a completely valid & scalable business model - which they've pulled off extremely well.

The point was that people have been criticising them for using the same server builds for years, but when you look at their performance over time at each location it's incredibly consistent.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2012

I don't see why prices will go up, hardware is not increasing in cost, if anything going down day by day, power (power price differs on location) and bandwidth get cheaper every year (checkout the deals cogent and others have on near the end of the year).

Anyone currently with v4 assigned will not be short, as they're hopefully locked into a fixed price contract. (I hope you are).

And even so, v6 is available and vps with ipv6 only have been done, and on the market.

But no one can predict the inevitable.

@bamn said: Prices slightly go up

• There a few factors that we are looking at that may change a few things.
    Power to the dc'smaybe going up.
    Shortages in hardware.
    There are a multitude of things that right now we are watching to know what is going to happen to our costs.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Jacob said: Anyone currently with v4 assigned will not be short, as they're hopefully locked into a fixed price contract. (I hope you are).

This is what worries me about our plans. I'm not afraid of sinking over it, I'm just worried about big delays in projected growth. Real IPv6 adoption will easily, at the least, keep all of us on track.

• I predict (and hope) more home ISP's will do IPv6 in 2013

• @birdie25 said: I predict (and hope) more home ISP's will do IPv6 in 2013

+1

• Please UK ISP IPV6...

• Sorry again, I m not deep in the industry just like many of you guys.

What about IPs? I read here that number of available IP4's are going down. This means LEB's, even with one IP will be more expensive? Just asking. That is what I thought about future, in my mind

• pubcrawlerpubcrawler Banned
    edited December 2012

Here's my prediction list for 2013:

Chicago_VPS Takes price of 2GB OpenVZ down to $4.00. Wrong. CVPS will take it to $3.33 a month with a quarterly or more commit. That offer has already actually been made in the past week or so.

Prices for low end VPSes will continue to slide downward. That will be two parts in cause, IPV4 costs and tiny (64MB and less) offers will be nearly extinct.

On the high end, we will see 3GB VPS offers become more common at or near LEB pricing range.

Offers based on non AMD64 and non x86 will show up. Notably ARM based offers.

There will be more dedicated server offers to Lowendbox of ARM systems, older Atom and other power sipping CPUs.

High availability offerings at low or near low cost range will appear. This isn't per se cloud stuff, but things like load balancing, MySQL offloading, CDN, etc.

DDoS offers from LEB companies will increase as the hassle and cost of being a DDoS victim continues to be too high and not acceptable.

More LEB companies will push panel integrated and control nodes in multiple geographic locations from one panel as an end customer.

LEB providers will take note of ready to roll out pre built tools like personal clouds, email appliances, etc. and start offering them as special one off specialty services for non-technical customers and those looking to immediately deploy solutions that ship ready to run.

By mid year we should see more native IPV6 adoption. Expect to see incumbent telco/cable companies in major country start the forced changeover.

Also, I'd expect to see more non OpenVZ/Solus offers. Namely, KVM.

• @Jacob said: I don't see why prices will go up,

Providers notice the price versus quality of customer.

Notice how some folks offering "LEB" offers don't do anymore, but their 256mb plan is out of the LEB offer requirements?

• @bamn said: Notice how some folks offering "LEB" offers don't do anymore, but their 256mb plan is out of the LEB offer requirements?

Yep.. like the $7 a month 512mb plan...

• I predict more offloaded MySQL offers