Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Could anyone explain something about virmach's ToS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Could anyone explain something about virmach's ToS?

duckeeyuckduckeeyuck Member
edited July 2016 in Providers

I'm not trying to make any negative comments on this, instead the point is to clarify something before anything bad happens.

I'm probably reading this wrong but is this part of their ToS saying that I'm giving rights to virmach over my content? or is it just referring to their own website?

Edit: Nope, I didn't understood this correctly and virmach doesn't ask for permission over you data.

1. Rights to the Web Site and Content.

With the exception of any Third-Party Materials and Background Technology as set forth in Section 4, Customer owns the Customer Content. “Customer Content” means all content or information (including, without limitation, any text, music, sound, photographs, video, graphics, data, or software), in any medium, provided by Customer to VirMach. “Third-Party Materials” means any content, software, or other computer programming material that is owned by an entity other than VirMach, and licensed by VirMach or generally available to the public, including Customer, under published licensing terms, and that VirMach will use to display or run a Web site. VirMach owns the rights to the design of the web site. If a customer stops paying the monthly fee for the web site upon cancellation the customer is not entitled to use the web site for any purposes whatsoever.

1. Limited License to the Background Technology.

“Background Technology” means computer programming/formatting code or operating instructions developed by or for VirMach and used to host or operate the Web site or a Web server in connection with a Web site. Background Technology includes, but is not limited to, any files necessary to make forms, buttons, checkboxes, and similar functions and underlying technology or components, such as style sheets, animation templates, interface programs that link multimedia and other programs, customized graphics manipulation engines, and menu utilities, whether in database form or dynamically driven. Background Technology does not include any Customer Content. Customer may not duplicate or distribute any Background Technology to any third party without the prior written consent of VirMach. All rights to the Background Technology not expressly granted to Customer hereunder are retained by VirMach. Without limiting the foregoing, Customer agrees not to reverse-engineer, reverse-assemble, decompile, or otherwise attempt to derive any source code of the Background Technology, except as allowed by law.

Comments

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited July 2016

tldr: you can't copy their website or anything they design for you.

You own everything you upload.

• oic, thanks, that clears up everyffin

• @duckeeyuck said:
    oic, thanks, that clears up everyffin

You might want to also clarify this with their support and how it would apply to you as a VPS(?) customer.

• linuxthefish said: You might want to also clarify this with their support and how it would apply to you as a VPS(?) customer.

I'd love to but their client are has been down lately.

• VirMachVirMach Member, Patron Provider

Those two sections of the terms are there to distinguish between what is your content and what is ours, mainly for any web design or coding work we do for customers - as we do offer those services to some big clients.

duckeeyuck said: I'd love to but their client are has been down lately.

We're updating WHMCS and clearing up some modules that are causing slow load times in the past 24 hours to improve load times.

• Thank you virmach, I edited OP in order to avoid any confusion/misinterpretation for other people.