Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Iniz / Zeniva Limited does nothing but break promises and refuse to take responsiblity
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Iniz / Zeniva Limited does nothing but break promises and refuse to take responsiblity

I've had an Iniz openvz VPS since ~Nov 2013. The network path from me to them had generally been great. Even when Iniz was bought out by Zeniva Limited in 2014 things didn't immediately turn for the worse. But in 2015 Zeniva Limited began floating the idea of datacenter migration from NY to Virginia. They offered customers the choice to stay in NY or migrate. I chose to stay in NY. Then a few months after they they ignored this promise and said they were going to force everyone to move. Whatever, they're shady but their network was good.

Unfortunately the looking glass site for the new network didn't work and they ignored me for 2 months before fixing it. That takes us right up to about a month before the forced migration.

On July 10th 2016 the forced migration for all remaining NY VM occurred. Except mine didn't come back up afterwards. After opening a ticket they admitted their template system for Debian 7 was broken and after the migration my container wouldn't even start.

There was a bug in the template where running upgrade then rebooting your VM would cause init to break...

Since they broke it I asked them to fix it.

We did not break the template, we use official templates provided by OpenVZ and they sadly don't release change notes on any template updates.

And now they're telling me I'm responsible for them not keeping their system up to date. They "restored" my VM all my configuration is gone, nginx, teamspeak, etc. Hell, I can't even run htop anymore without getting a glibc error. My entire VM is completely corrupted and I'll need to wipe it and start a new one.

you would/should have taken your own backup and could return the server back to normal much quicker.

Their network paths may be great but Iniz/Zeniva Limited cannot be trusted to do what they say, be competent with their openvz templates, or take responsibility for their serious errors. When Kishan T. of Iniz/Zeniva Limited does fuck you he'll just say,

I never stated it was your problem, I stated what the problem likely was and the possible resolutions.

And none of the possible resolutions will involve him fixing anything.

Thanked by 1ikkizenho

Comments

• I never had any problem with INIZ using them from more thn a year now. Kishan is one of the best when it comes to handling issues.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

hukrepus said: But in 2015 Zeniva Limited began floating the idea of datacenter migration from NY to Virginia. They offered customers the choice to stay in NY or migrate. I chose to stay in NY. Then a few months after they they ignored this promise and said they were going to force everyone to move. Whatever, they're shady but their network was good.

Yes I admit I did change the decision later on, no one was forced however. A refund option was available to all who did not want to move, the amount of requests for a refund (single number) suggests the move to most was not a issue but yes we did back track on the original promise and I apologise for the inconvenience this may have caused you.

hukrepus said: Unfortunately the looking glass site for the new network didn't work and they ignored me for 2 months before fixing it.

Lets make this clear we never ignored you, the first ticket we received was on Saturday 11th June at 09:51 and you let us know regarding the LG issue. The issue was fixed immediately on Saturday 11th June at 09:56. Response time of 5 minutes with resolution on the weekend.

--

We offered some possible suggestions, sadly neither are up to the said clients expectations/did not work and I can only apologies for such. Prior migration email notices did state clients should take backups and as promised we retained a copy on the original node as well.

The VM was cleanly shutdown prior to migration and now neither starts on the old node. So some files changed but did not take effect prior to shutdown and hence the issue forthcoming. The migration was 99.9% successful on Sunday where to this point there is one notification to us of any data corruption being said OP.

A backup is being processed for the OP where he may then find a host that may better suit his needs. A refund of 6 months (50%) will be provided for the disruption caused.

• hukrepushukrepus Member
    edited July 2016

I guesss Kishan T. saw my post here on low end box. He is suddenly unilaterally cancelling my account out of nowhere.

We feel it is best we part way and your account will be closed, we will provide a backup you can download within 24 hours of the link being provided and you may find a host that better suits your needs.

A refund will be processed for 50% of the renewal value.

All the best.

Kind regards,

Kishan T.
    Company Director

This kind of behavior is bordering on the legally actionable. Iniz / Zeniva Limited are fraudsters.

• @hukrepus said:
    I guesss Kishan T. saw my post here on low end box. He is suddenly unilaterally cancelling my account out of nowhere.

We feel it is best we part way and your account will be closed, we will provide a backup you can download within 24 hours of the link being provided and you may find a host that better suits your needs.

A refund will be processed for 50% of the renewal value.

All the best.

Kind regards,

Kishan T.
    Company Director

...you do realize that @kt IS Kishan right?

edited July 2016

Yes, theroyalstudent. Your tagging him here and him seeing the bad review is obviously what caused him to spontaneously cancel my account.

And KT, you did ignore both emails I sent to [email protected]. In your emails you said this was the address to contact regarding issues in the migration. Don't try to weasel your way out of this by only counting the tickets I submitted much later.

I sent the first out on Fri, 27 May 2016 16:03:45 -0500 well before your ticket number on "Saturday 11th June at 09:51".

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

hukrepus said: And KT, you did ignore both emails I sent to [email protected]. In your emails you said this was the address to contact regarding issues in the migration. Don't try to weasel your way out of this by only counting the tickets I submitted much later.

If the email was sent then you would have received a confirmation email along with ticket id, feel free to share. The escalation department is set up to have tickets read by me only. Why would Iignore such a ticket?

You've just threatened us with legal action in the ticket, I don't think I need to say anything more here really. I was more than trying to help you in the ticket and offered to copy over the dump we hold onto your VM so you can extract the files and configs much quicker on a new installer to get you going but I guess that wasn't enough.

• Here you go:

Message-ID: 5748B631.200@superkuh.com
    Date: Fri, 27 May 2016 16:03:45 -0500
    User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:17.0) Gecko/20130330 Thunderbird/17.0.5
    MIME-Version: 1.0
    To: [email protected]
    Subject: Your looking glass site is broken. Re: [IMPORTANT] New York OpenVZ
    Migration
    References: <fb1d31473a7ab550d09be9326b0652b6@localhost>
    In-Reply-To: <fb1d31473a7ab550d09be9326b0652b6@localhost>
    X-Enigmail-Version: 1.4.6
    Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
    Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit

Hi. It is unfortunate to hear you're going back on past decisions. Will
    there be any way to disable or get out in front of the DDoS protection
    if it isn't wanted? I don't want my peer to peer UDP packets being blocked.

In most cases latency increase will be minimal or better, you can test

the network via our Looking Glass: http://va-us.lg.syn.ltd.uk

The looking glass site is severely broken. The only tests that work are
    host and traceroute. mtr needs to be working at a minimum. These kind of
    issues, happening already, do not inspire any great confidence in the
    change.

Please fix your site so I can actually test the latency between your new
    network host and myself.

• Mark Garfin (customer with a VPS in the NY location)

On 05/26/2016 09:17 AM, INIZ CP wrote:

Hello Mark,

As part of our internal review, we have made the decision to move all clients from New York, NY over to our new Herndon, Virginia facility to ensure long term reliability and streamline all our hardware to a single vendor where as currently in NY several vendors are used and increases cost to keep several spares for all sorts of varying hardware that was previously in place.

We have made large investment into our VA location and have hardware ready within the next week to ensure all clients from NYC are put on to the newer hardware. Newer Intel CPUs, Better IO Performance, Shared 10Gbps Uplink (Upgrade from 1Gbps) & free 40Gbps DDoS Protection is a quick summary of the benefits of our VA deployment. In most cases latency increase will be minimal or better, you can test the network via our Looking Glass: http://va-us.lg.syn.ltd.uk.

We have reviewed the best way of migrating clients over and have the following options for clients:

1. (Default) Auto Migration - Sunday, 10 July

We will automatically migrate your VM, you will keep your current IPs (IPv4+IPv6) however will notice several hours downtime on day of migration. This is default option and you do not need to do anything, we will keep you updated throughout the day of migration via email and on our status page.

Schedule of migration for each node and further details will be announced in the coming weeks.

2. Auto Migration - Now

We will migrate your VM now and issue a new IP (IPv4+IPv6), to have this done please email [email protected].

3. Refund

We understand clients may utilise our NY services due to requirements of <1ms to certain networks as such we open the opportunity for clients to cancel and request a refund for the remaining duration. Please backup your data and request a refund within the next 14 days, your service will be terminated and a pro-rata refund will be processed.

Request for a refund must be received by Friday, 10 June.

Once you have backed up any data and are ready to have your VM terminated and refunded, please email [email protected].

If you have any questions, please email [email protected].

• DamianDamian Member

We appreciate you joining our community to complain. Let's get started....

hukrepus said: There was a bug in the template where running upgrade then rebooting your VM would cause init to break...

Welcome to Debian (and Ubuntu) on OpenVZ. Take backups, because inconsistent changes between Debian releases do not mesh with OpenVZ's sluggish release cycle. OpenVZ does not do "cutting edge" well.

One of the fun things about this particular bug is that it's not really possible to "recover" it after it's been upgraded and rebooted. No matter how much you want to kick the host.

hukrepus said: you would/should have taken your own backup and could return the server back to normal much quicker.

I'd have to agree here. Upgrading with no backups taken at all? Ballsy move there Cotton, let's see how it works out for you.....

hukrepus said: There was a bug in the template where running upgrade then rebooting your VM would cause init to break...

.....annnnd boom.

• but I guess that wasn't enough.

Says the man who cancels accounts of customers who leave bad reviews.

edited July 2016

Damien, I think it's normal to be upset about losing my VM because of the host's failure. Especially since my VM was fine until the forced migration that was already a result of Iniz / Zeniva breaking their promises.

And to be clear, I had already started the process of wiping my VM and setting up a new one when KT spontaneously canceled my account. I was willing to accept it and move on with a fresh start, lacking my files. Whatever.

Leaving a review explaining what went on should not be a cause for account cancellation at a decent host.

• IshaqIshaq Member

hukrepus said: But leaving a bad review is not cause for canceling my account.

There are no "grounds" for cancelling an account, hosts can choose their clients just like clients can choose their hosts.

Find another host.

• lshaq, obviously. But when a host does this it should be a huge warning sign for others. Describe Iniz's shady business dealings on lowendtalk? He'll cancel your account.

I'm already setting up my stuff from scratch on another hosting provider. Unfortunately unlike his claim KT still has not provided a link for me to download my data.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@kt

Please provide a vzdump to the customer so we can get this resolved.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

hukrepus said: Describe Iniz's shady business dealings on lowendtalk? He'll cancel your account.

I doubt we are anything close to shady that you still insisted on wanting to keep your $15.50/year VM. I felt we did everything I could to help you but this was clearly not enough and I'm not sure anything we would have done for you would have been enough so I decided in our best interest it would be best to part ways.

hukrepus said: Unfortunately unlike his claim KT still has not provided a link for me to download my data.

I'm glad you've already found another provider and wish you all the best, the back up (original copy prior to migration) as promised is with you now, please update ticket with payment details for us to issue the refund.

• @Ishaq said:
    @kt

Please provide a vzdump to the customer so we can get this resolved.

Since when is LET a mediator between host<->customer and/or a helpdesk?

• IshaqIshaq Member

MrObvious said: Since when is LET a mediator between host<->customer and/or a helpdesk?

Since there is unnecessary drama.

• you still insisted on wanting to keep your $15.50/year VM.

Right. Because your network and service provided were excellent for years. Far better than other LEB hosts I've tried. The problem was your lies as a person, not your technical shortcomings. At least until the forced migration (you lied about) which corrupted my VM. And then your cancelation of my account because you can't handle a bad review.

That said KT has now provided me with the backup and it looks like I'll have it downloaded in ~40 minutes. I sent him my bitcoin address and am waiting on the partial refund.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@hukrepus said:
    Yes, theroyalstudent. Your tagging him here and him seeing the bad review is obviously what caused him to spontaneously cancel my account.

And KT, you did ignore both emails I sent to [email protected]. In your emails you said this was the address to contact regarding issues in the migration. Don't try to weasel your way out of this by only counting the tickets I submitted much later.

I sent the first out on Fri, 27 May 2016 16:03:45 -0500 well before your ticket number on "Saturday 11th June at 09:51".

I've yelled to @kt as well and had my opinions, being a very old client, and my account did not get closed. However, your story changes its path when you threat them with a lawyer.
    You should know that backups are YOUR responsibility. You should also feel pretty lucky for receiving a refund for 6 months, as I, in @kt's place, would not refund you.

Here's their terms and conditions, a snippet:

In no case shall SYN LTD, our directors, officers, employees, affiliates, agents, contractors, interns, suppliers, service providers or licensors be liable for any injury, loss, claim, or any direct, indirect, incidental, punitive, special, or consequential damages of any kind, including, without limitation lost profits, lost revenue, lost savings, loss of data, replacement costs, or any similar damages, whether based in contract, tort (including negligence), strict liability or otherwise, arising from your use of any of the service or any products procured using the service, or for any other claim related in any way to your use of the service or any product, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of the service or any content (or product) posted, transmitted, or otherwise made available via the service, even if advised of their possibility. Because some states or jurisdictions do not allow the exclusion or the limitation of liability for consequential or incidental damages, in such states or jurisdictions, our liability shall be limited to the maximum extent permitted by law.

@kt has all the rights to terminate your account with Iniz.

edited July 2016

MrGeneral, I only said, "I'll see you in small claims court." after he canceled my account because I posted the review your currently participating in. So basically your argument is invalid.

• @Ishaq said:

MrObvious said: Since when is LET a mediator between host<->customer and/or a helpdesk?

Since there is unnecessary drama.

I thought that it was when LowEndHelpDesk started a while ago.

thx

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@hukrepus said:
    MrGeneral, I only said, "I'll see you in small claims court." after he canceled my account because I posted the review your currently participating in. So basically your argument is invalid.

Ok, understood. Even though, they are pretty reasonable from my experience. Backups are always your responsibility. Small claims court won't bother with this.

• ktkt Member, Host Rep
    edited July 2016

hukrepus said: Right. Because your network and service provided were excellent for years. Far better than other LEB hosts I've tried. The problem was your lies as a person, not your technical shortcomings. At least until the forced migration (you lied about) which corrupted my VM. And then your cancelation of my account because you can't handle a bad review.

I appreciate that and I have handled bad reviews just here recently, it did not end in termination. I would say we did not lie but back tracked on a promise (but I can see how it can be seen as a "lie"), even then an accepted resolution was provided (a refund) which is more than fair I believe and you were happy to proceed with migration over the refund so I don't believe that argument can be brought up here.

I'm sorry the migration didn't work out, I can see the refund has more than 3 confirmations so should be showing on your end now.

• I appreciate that and I have handled bad reviews just here recently, it did not end in termination.

You terminated my account literally less than 2 minutes after you were tagged here on lowend talk. This is what I mean when I say you lie and refuse to take responsibility.

But whatever. This done. Your weasel words are polite but your actions speak much louder.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited July 2016

hukrepus said: This kind of behavior is bordering on the legally actionable. Iniz / Zeniva Limited are fraudsters.

Then stop whining and get on with 'legal action', 'punitive damages' and such. There hasn't been a decent drama oriented thread here in ages anyway.

Besides, for the pennies you pay, you seriously expect a low end host to take backups for you? What's next? You're going to want them to run your business and assume all responsibility for you too?

Grow up, get real, and move on to LowEndHelpDesk for the best legal support your peanuts can buy. But remember -

• dailydaily Member

Shouldn't a provider at least make sure their templates .. work? It isn't hard at all to just spin up a VM with the template, especially considering you have all the power to do so.

• DamianDamian Member
    edited July 2016

daily said: Shouldn't a provider at least make sure their templates .. work?

I know this issue they're referencing and I know it to be particularly insidious:

Damian said: Welcome to Debian (and Ubuntu) on OpenVZ. Take backups, because inconsistent changes between Debian releases do not mesh with OpenVZ's sluggish release cycle. OpenVZ does not do "cutting edge" well. One of the fun things about this particular bug is that it's not really possible to "recover" it after it's been upgraded and rebooted. No matter how much you want to kick the host.

It's fixable if adjusted before it's rebooted, but at this point only very old VMs would be affected. It's been fixed in newer versions from OpenVZ themselves, but I'm sure asking the client to fully reinstall would have caused just as much of a tantrum.

hukrepus said: You terminated my account literally less than 2 minutes after you were tagged here on lowend talk. This is what I mean when I say you lie and refuse to take responsibility.

Seems more "real world" to me. Customer is angry enough to post on a public forum, provider responds by giving an archive of data data and half of the money back for unused time.

Why in the world would they want to hold onto you after you've lambasted them like this? Am I missing something here?

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited July 2016

Zen said: Although I'm still not quite sure what happened with the upgrade & template issue, did the migration trigger the upgrade? Did the migration go as planned, and then the customer ran an upgrade post-migration? I've only skimmed the thread but it seems unclear.

It happened to us too. Some very old VMs did not come back after reboot. They may upgrade/update in place, but when a reboot is issued, they wont come back up. A backup is useless in this situation, copying the backup over will produce the same unbootable result, BUT, it can be dumped into a /home directory after a reinstall. There will still be issues and you cannot expect your host to backup your databases for you too, for example.
    Please make sure you reboot after updates/upgrades AND you have everything backed up before (at application level) at least when notified/asked to do so.

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited July 2016

@Zen said:

K4Y5 said: Besides, for the pennies you pay, you seriously expect a low end host to take backups for you?

To be fair, yes, when a host migrates my data, and I have no say in the matter, I expect them to back up the data before the migration.

Especially because personally, the first thing I would do before touching someone else's data, is backup that data.

The same applies when it comes to the migration, I expect a host to do their due diligence before a migration, this includes testing the functionality of the migration, and any issues that could possibly arise.. that includes making sure templates are functional, and that if they aren't for whatever reason, custom measures are taken to insure that the migration is successful.

Although I'm still not quite sure what happened with the upgrade & template issue, did the migration trigger the upgrade? Did the migration go as planned, and then the customer ran an upgrade post-migration? I've only skimmed the thread but it seems unclear.

The hosting company migrated the VM to a new node, after informing the OP and giving him enough time to get his affairs in order,that is, take backups (duh!). The VM image that the hosting company took, somehow, got fucked in transit.

Inexplicable shit happens, and will always continue to happen. When dealing with digital information and data, always work with the assumption that Murphy's law will hold just as true as Newton's laws of motion, on a bad day.

This is exactly where and when the backup that You/I/we take comes in handy, and saves the day.

Take responsibility for your decision of not maintaining your own backups, and live with the consequences. Threatening legal action, and running amok on the interwebs from one forum to another, bashing a provider and wasting your own time isn't going to change anything for you. The outcome is still going to be the same - your sorry / lazy ass is still going to be on the curb with nothing.

That is all I am saying.

• There is one thing that people forget, the unfortunate reality in this industry is that its become normal to threaten legal action.

Its standard nowadays if you aren't happy to threaten legal action.