Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.net down? False alarm, it's my ISP.
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.net down? False alarm, it's my ISP.

PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
edited July 2016 in Providers

Is it down? Can't reach any of my boxes and all their sites and sub domains are down too.

Edit

False alarm..

Comments

• Loading fine for me, and a random dedi I have there.

What network you coming from?

• boerndboernd Member

Everything up from here, weathermap also looks good.

• tortautortau Member

Works for me as well.

• Back up now, it was dropping packets

I'm coming from UK, London, Virgin.

Looks like something on Virgin's end went wrong as..

Looks fine there...

• That be your issue :) Virgin Media.

Thanked by 1TarZZ92
  • i agree 101% ^

• AmitzAmitz Member
    edited July 2016

One can say a lot of bad things about online.net and their network. I have seen incredible slowness, massive packet loss, bad pings in the CET evening... But none of my servers there has seen a complete downtime that I would remember during the last 1-2 years. Or was there an incident that I forgot?

An example from my uptimerobot (1min monitoring) from one of my online.net servers:

536 days without any network downtime.

• sinsin Member

Amitz said: One can say a lot of bad things about online.net and their network

So far their AMS location has been good for me

• AmitzAmitz Member

sin said: So far their AMS location has been good for me

That is well possible. But do some research about the problems they had during the last 12 months here on LET... It was really unbearable sometimes. It would have been easier (and faster) to drive my data by car from Paris to Amsterdam than using their network.

Thanked by 1sin
  • @sin said:

Amitz said: One can say a lot of bad things about online.net and their network

So far their AMS location has been good for me

I think their AMS location is backhauled via Paris anyways...

• AmitzAmitz Member

PirateHitman said: I think their AMS location is backhauled via Paris anyways...

It is, afaik. At least it was.

• @Amitz said:

PirateHitman said: I think their AMS location is backhauled via Paris anyways...

Still is for NL's largest ISP (ziggo/upc)

• AmitzAmitz Member

teamacc said: Still is for NL's largest ISP (ziggo/upc)

I really wonder what this location is good for then (from a customer perspective), other than having 2 servers with the same provider in two geographical locations.

• mikmakmikmak Member

@teamacc said:

@Amitz said:

well, this ISP sucks in regards to peering these days ...
    we actually forcibly rerouted it through Paris as they (not us...) were using their US connection to get through our Cogent uplink in AMS (no wonder how the hell this is configured in their network ....) ...
    anyway, we have plans to improve connection with them ...

Mik

• mikmakmikmak Member

@Amitz said:

not anymore, we have transit and peering locally in AMS
    we are preparing upgrades for these also

Mik

• @mikmak said:

@teamacc said:

@Amitz said:

well, this ISP sucks in regards to peering these days ...
    we actually forcibly rerouted it through Paris as they (not us...) were using their US connection to get through our Cogent uplink in AMS (no wonder how the hell this is configured in their network ....) ...
    anyway, we have plans to improve connection with them ...

Mik

Ye, saw a traceroute go through the USA cogent, but then drop its ping down quite a bit (from 190ms to 120ms) in the next hop to the online.net network, wherever that is.