Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of DMB Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Review of DMB Hosting

titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
edited December 2011 in Reviews

I have decided to review DMB Hosting to share my experience so far. I have copied the format of the review from other reviews because its nicely structured.

Overview - I recently bought an OpenVZ special from DMB Hosting which you can find here, the specs are as follows -

~ 256mb guaranteed RAM
~ 512mb burstable ram
~ 40gb HDD space in a RAID 10 array,
~ 100gb bandwidth
~ 1 ipv4 address
~ 10 ipv6 addresses

It costs £2.99/month or £29.99/year but its worth noting that these prices don't include VAT which is charged at the UK rate of 20%, which is fair enough considering they are a UK based company. There is now only one location on offer UK (Telecity Synergy House in Manchester), but I find this a very good location, especially for low ping times to the EU. Unfortunately I can't comment on the network of the chicago offering because I live in the UK and therefore naturally I went for the UK VPS. All of the main VPS operating systems are available for install on SolusVM -

~ Debian
~ CentOS
~ Ubuntu
~ Fedora

Although it would be nice to see a wider variety of operating systems available i'm sure all it would take is a support ticket. WHMCS is secured by a valid 256bit SSL certificate provided by PositiveSSL.

With every VPS you get 20gb free FTP backup space in a different data center, provided its for legitimate backup use. To obtain this you need to request it using the link that you are sent via email. The backup server is actually based in the Racksrv DC in Kent,England. My connection to the backup server is extremely quick and therefore it is effortless to backup to the server.

The only thing I have to comment on negatively is SolusVM, All of the pages within SolusVM seem to load really quickly once your logged in, but logging in takes an age.

Support - The welcome emails I received once I bought my VPS were concise and provided me with all the information I needed to get started with my VPS almost instantly. The VPS I ordered was setup instantly, and I could log in to SolusVM and manage my VPS as soon as I paid.

When I requested my free FTP backup space I had a problem with not being able to change my account password and not being able to log in to the server at all. I opened a support ticket and I had a response and the problem was fixed in minutes. I have never been with a LEB provider before that responds to tickets and resolves problems as quickly as that! DMB Hosting have multiple support staff with different areas of expertise to cater with problems regarding. specific services I don't really have anything else to say about support because so far everything has been fine with my vps, but I can trust @daimonb to provide a quick and to the point solution if I ever get a problem.

Setup - I know OpenVZ isn't the platform of choice for most users wanting reliability and less chance of overselling, however, with DMB Hosting I don't really think it matters if your on OVZ or XEN because there is obviously no overselling going on. Connection to the VPS via SSH is lightning fast and it reboots in a matter of seconds. Re-imaging via SolusVM also takes under a minute which is great for someone like me who uses a different operating system every day! Using yum and apt-get on the vps to install packages is also amazingly fast, so the VPS obviously has a good connection to the repo mirrors.

Performance - The performance on my VPS is probably on a par with premium VPS providers like linode etc. There is obviously no overselling and no abuse of the servers due to a rock solid terms and conditions. Here are some benchmarks which demonstrate the VPS's capability -

Disk IO -

root@titanicsaled:~# dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=16k count=64k conv=fdatasync
65536+0 records in
65536+0 records out
1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB) copied, 8.05689 s, 133 MB/s

An exemplary IO speed, especially for a LEB provider. They obviously manage the IO capacity of the server very well to provide the best user experience.

Disk Space -

root@titanicsaled:~# df -h
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/simfs             40G  1.7G   39G   5% /
tmpfs                 256M     0  256M   0% /lib/init/rw
tmpfs                 256M     0  256M   0% /dev/shm
Thanked by 2Mon5t3r drmike

Comments

• titanicsaledtitanicsaled Member
    edited December 2011

CPU Allocation -

root@titanicsaled:~# cat /proc/cpuinfo
    processor       : 0
    vendor_id       : GenuineIntel
    cpu family      : 6
    model           : 42
    model name      :           Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31220 @ 3.10GHz
    stepping        : 7
    cpu MHz         : 3093.134
    cache size      : 8192 KB
    physical id     : 0
    siblings        : 4
    core id         : 0
    cpu cores       : 4
    apicid          : 0
    fpu             : yes
    fpu_exception   : yes
    cpuid level     : 13
    wp              : yes
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc ida nonstop_tsc arat pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
    bogomips        : 6186.26
    clflush size    : 64
    cache_alignment : 64
    address sizes   : 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
    power management: [8]

processor       : 1
    core id         : 1
    apicid          : 2
    flags           : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss ht tm syscall nx rdtscp lm constant_tsc ida nonstop_tsc arat pni monitor ds_cpl vmx smx est tm2 ssse3 cx16 xtpr sse4_1 sse4_2 popcnt lahf_lm
    bogomips        : 6185.80

processor       : 2
    core id         : 2
    apicid          : 4
    bogomips        : 6185.88

processor       : 3
    core id         : 3
    apicid          : 6
    bogomips        : 6185.89

Access to four cores of Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31220 @ 3.10GHz!! It really does make a difference when you are installing packages and when you are running a webserver.

Internet Connection Speed Test -

root@titanicsaled:~# wget http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test -O /dev/null
    --2011-12-15 20:07:30--  http://cachefly.cachefly.net/100mb.test
    Resolving cachefly.cachefly.net... 205.234.175.175
    Connecting to cachefly.cachefly.net|205.234.175.175|:80... connected.
    HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
    Length: 104857600 (100M) [application/octet-stream]
    Saving to: `/dev/null'

100%[======================================>] 104,857,600 63.3M/s   in 1.6s

2011-12-15 20:07:32 (63.3 MB/s) - `/dev/null' saved [104857600/104857600] 

Result speaks for itself really, shows that the network is not overloaded or oversold.

Latency -

The latency from my house in Wales is an average of 28ms! Ping my server if you want to find the latency from your 
    house - titanicsaled.co.uk
    Thanked by 1Mon5t3r
  • Conclusion - Although I've only been with DMB Hosting less than a month, I felt I have to review them because I have had an amazing experience. I have never ever had anything like this VPS before from a low end provider. I have faith that DMB Hosting won't ever end up in the deadpool because it is a well run company that don't only serve the LEB market (if you look at their site, the prices are not LEB prices). They prioritize customer support, and provide a great reliable VPS service. I also trust @daimonb, the owner of DMB Hosting because he is a regular contributor here at LEB and I know that he is only an email/support ticket away.

DMB Hosting is an extremely well run, professional company and I'd personally recommend them to anyone interested in a low end VPS.

• thanks for the review. Only point i would make is we are replacing one of the hdds tommorow as it is playing up so the dd test might increase. The backup server is in racksrv kent unsure why ip shows netherlands :P

• what dc are they in?

• jhjh Member

@DanielM said: what dc are they in?

Telecity Synergy House

• Updated the post with the backup server info and DC info.

btw - sorry for making it so long winded, wanted to cover everything!

• daimonbdaimonb Member
    edited December 2011

we are no longer doing chicago we are sticking to UK :)

• also there isnt just me lol we have nik cook on sales and chat and a few others who focus more on the core of the business which is primarily hosting.

• Can you use the HTML pre tags to format your post? I find it improves readability :)
    Also, nice review!

• I will update all the information, and add the pre tags shortly.

• @titanicsaled thanks for your long review.. but maybe you can add pre tag or something to make this more "readable" for me. :D

• @Mon5t3r - Did you not even read the post above yours? O_o

• @Aldryic ouch!!! yeah.. i'm little bit too blind after reading the first and second post @ _ @ :p

• just curious what other os templates people would like to see?

• When did the Dave Matthews Band start hosting VPS? I know that he did not tour this year, but it is still a stretch for him.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@daimonb said: just curious what other os templates people would like to see?

Maybe CentOS 6, or SL6.

• trixbox
    askozia when they get around to linux port