Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need help with installing a lightweight web server stack...
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need help with installing a lightweight web server stack...

LinuxLearnerLinuxLearner Member
edited June 2016 in Help

Hi all. Please pardon my ignorance as this is a topic I have little knowledge about. I would like to install Hiawatha webserver with PHP 5 and MariaDB or MySQL. I have tried multiple guides (spent around 6 hours trying 20-30 different guides) and none of them worked. I would really appreciate it if someone could make a setup script or point me in the right direction of doing this. To conclude, I basically need a LEMP stack except instead of Nginx I need Hiawatha. Thanks in advance...

P.S: I need this for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (server) 32bit or Debian 7.5 Minimal 32bit.

Comments

• tommytommy Member

why wasting so many times ? and why not nginx?

what's your log say? you dont say anything where you failed. so no one can help you to fixed your problem

nb : if you just copy paste without thinking thats the problem

• @LinuxLearner said:
    I have tried multiple guides (spent around 6 hours

Only 6 hours? Come back when you have spent 3 or 4 days trying to figure it out.

Seriously, 6 hours is nothing.

• noamannoaman Member

@LinuxLearner said:
    Hi all. Please pardon my ignorance as this is a topic I have little knowledge about. I would like to install Hiawatha webserver with PHP 5 and MariaDB or MySQL. I have tried multiple guides (spent around 6 hours trying 20-30 different guides) and none of them worked. I would really appreciate it if someone could make a setup script or point me in the right direction of doing this. To conclude, I basically need a LEMP stack except instead of Nginx I need Hiawatha. Thanks in advance...

P.S: I need this for Ubuntu 14.04 LTS (server) 32bit or Debian 7.5 Minimal 32bit.

If you have little knowledge...install vesta cp...just select the appropriate option....and then you will have a stack ....a little bloatware but will work flawlessly

• @tommy - I don't just copy and paste, it's simply that I don't have any knowledge setting up webservers. I do have a fair amount of knowledge in Linux though. I prefer Hiawatha because of it's security features.

@noaman - I don't have enough RAM/storage to install a control panel of any type.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2016

You need to provide specific information about what is not working.

Specifically, what security features does Hiawatha offer that nginx does not?

Quite frankly, if you're throwing in the towel after spending 6 hours going through 20-30 guides, you don't need a script, you need an expert or at least more knowledge.

• louis_laulouis_lau Member
    edited June 2016

Have you tried using the (unofficial) prebuilt .deb?

• sinsin Member
    edited June 2016

Hiawatha is easy to install...use the prebuilt Debian or Ubuntu packages that are linked to from the Hiawatha website.

Ubuntu:
    https://launchpad.net/~octavhendra/+archive/ubuntu/hiawatha

Debian:
    http://mirror.tuxhelp.org/debian/

• @Microlinux - in the guides that I find online (some from big companies) they don't have the same configuration files that I do.

@louis_lau - no.

@sin - I know how to install Hiawatha, just not set up the configuration file(s) to point to my domain, etc. I also need to install other features needed to run a forum (PHP, MariaDB/MySQL).

• dailydaily Member

@LinuxLearner said:
    @Microlinux - in the guides that I find online (some from big companies) they don't have the same configuration files that I do.

@louis_lau - no.

@sin - I know how to install Hiawatha, just not set up the configuration file(s) to point to my domain, etc. I also need to install other features needed to run a forum (PHP, MariaDB/MySQL).

Either you do more research or go with a managed hosting provider. You aren't being very helpful to us, so there isn't anything we can do to help you.

• sinsin Member

LinuxLearner said: I know how to install Hiawatha, just not set up the configuration file(s) to point to my domain, etc. I also need to install other features needed to run a forum (PHP, MariaDB/MySQL).

Hiawatha's config files are very easy to follow and it's got a great manual page on it's website. Anyone who can setup Apache or Nginx should be able to have Hiawatha setup in no time. There's many easy guides like this one: https://dotbalm.org/hosting-wordpress-with-hiawatha/ (uses Wordpress but it goes over the config settings).

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2016

@LinuxLearner said:
    I know how to install Hiawatha, just not set up the configuration file(s) to point to my domain, etc. I also need to install other features needed to run a forum (PHP, MariaDB/MySQL).

You need managed hosting at this point. If you can't provide specific detail, you can't be helped. If you went through 20-30 guides in 6 hours and still lack any sort of working setup, you're probably in over your head.

• Give caddyserver a try. It doesn't get any easier. To install, check getcaddy.com or caddyserver.com for more info. I have been running a test in production for a while and it's been performing great. Another interesting website regarding caddy: https://denbeke.be/blog/

It should get you up and running in minutes.

• NixtrenNixtren Member
    edited June 2016

You could try using Caddy as well. Here's a little script to help you to get started:

https://github.com/sayem314/Caddy-Web-Server-Installer

You just need to install MySQL/MariaDB after.

Edit: Just realized someone posted something about Caddy before me :P

• LinuxLearnerLinuxLearner Member
    edited June 2016

NVM.

• @Nixtren said:
    You could try using Caddy as well. Here's a little script to help you to get started:

On Debian 7.5 Minimal it froze after running this script. Is this for CentOS?

• @LinuxLearner said:

@Nixtren said:

What are your server specs? It should work fine.

• @Saragoldfarb said:

@LinuxLearner said:

@Nixtren said:

What are your server specs? It should work fine.

I was running Debian 7.5 32bit Minimal. The specs are no issue as I have 128MB RAM. I used the "wget script.yesgig.eu.org/caddy.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash" method.

• louis_laulouis_lau Member
    edited June 2016

Just go with buyshared already.

• @louis_lau said:

I would but I am not on good terms with the BuyVM owner and my current VPS is cheaper than buyshared.

• This sounds like you got the wrong end of the stick. You need to walk before you can run. Most VPS OS installations come with Apache2 or Nginx preinstalled. All you need to do is put your files in the right directory and you're on. No fancy work needed. After you got that happening, then you can think about going on from there.

Thanked by 1louis_lau
  • I'm willing to set it up for you but it would require root access. Just drop me a pm in case you're interested.

• @LinuxLearner said:

@louis_lau said:

I would but I am not on good terms with the BuyVM owner and my current VPS is cheaper than buyshared.

Ok install caddy manually then, I thought you were familiar with linux.

The caddy 32 bit executable:
    https://caddyserver.com/download/builds/160405005224930/caddy_linux_386_custom.tar.gz
    Put that (after extracting) in "/usr/bin/" and put your caddyfile in "/etc/caddy/" and name it "Caddyfile".

After that you can run it as a service with the systemd .service file from here:
    https://github.com/mholt/caddy/tree/master/dist/init/linux-systemd

That's it! Hope that helped.

P.S This is literally the only thing needed in the caddyfile (this also enables gzip and php-fpm):
    mysite.com { root /path/to/mysite/ gzip fastcgi / localhost:9000 php }

• tommytommy Member

copy paste kungfu failed you!

• @noaman said:
    If you have little knowledge...install vesta cp...just select the appropriate option....and then you will have a stack ....a little bloatware but will work flawlessly

+1 for vesta...

No Bloat if using Advanced Install... Uncheck everything for Email/bind and other things and you have a very lean panel with very workable components. Will save you a lot of time

• noamannoaman Member

@mehargags said:

@noaman said:

+1 for vesta...

No Bloat if using Advanced Install... Uncheck everything for Email/bind and other things and you have a very lean panel with very workable components. Will save you a lot of time

He says he doesn't have enough ram..

@LinuxLearner said

@noaman - I don't have enough RAM/storage to install a control panel of any type.

How.much ram.do you have?

You can use the force install parameter to bypass these limits...

I ran them on 256MB VPS