Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Install Windows on any Wholesaleinternet preconfigured server using QEMU-KVM - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Install Windows on any Wholesaleinternet preconfigured server using QEMU-KVM

Comments

• edanedan Member
    edited June 2016

@emre22 said:
    for me it works only with 512 ram only and during the vnc installation at "windows is starting" my vnc viewer -> connection gracefully closed

can somebody help me out with that?

This because you are putting the ISO in RAM. You need at least 8GB RAM if you doing this.

You can try to creating partition for the ISO using fdisk http://www.howtogeek.com/106873/how-to-use-fdisk-to-manage-partitions-on-linux/ try to creating 2 partitions and put your ISO in partitions 2. If you have 250GB disk, partition 1 -> 200GB, partition 2 -> 50GB. Make sure to format your second partition using mkfs.ext4 and mount it.

Edit: regarding partitions you can even creating 1 partition and leave other space as unallocated space, Windows setup will do the rest.

Thanked by 2emre22 Basil
  • emre22emre22 Member

well I got now a second hdd on my server. how can I download the iso to the second one?

• edanedan Member
    edited June 2016

@emre22 said:
    well I got now a second hdd on my server. how can I download the iso to the second one?

Format those drive and mount it to /mnt folder.

Edit: Google it for more info.

• @emre22 said: well I got now a second hdd on my server. how can I download the iso to the second one?

edan said: Format those drive and mount it to /mnt folder.

Here are the commands for this, assuming that the secondary drive is at /dev/sdb (execute fdisk -l to make sure):

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=1 #Wipe /dev/sdb, this will erase all data and partitions

mkfs.ext4 /dev/sdb #Format the partition to ext4
    mount /dev/sdb /mnt #Mount /dev/sdb to /mnt

You can download the ISO and store it at /mnt afterwards, which would store it on your second HDD:

wget -O /mnt/file.iso http://urltoiso.tld/file.iso

Thanked by 2edan emre22
  • I have read your tutorial about WSI install windows,I have a C2D E8200 and installed windows server 2003 successfully and using a script to set the network to static IP,but it doesn't work after reboot.What should I do?

• edanedan Member

@wenxhwork said:
    I have read your tutorial about WSI install windows,I have a C2D E8200 and installed windows server 2003 successfully and using a script to set the network to static IP,but it doesn't work after reboot.What should I do?

What is your network interface on QEMU? make sure its match. You can write multi line with multiple network interface name.

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Ethernet 2" static 63.141.x.x 255.255.255.252 63.141.x.x

netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="Ethernet 2" static 192.187.107.16

netsh interface ipv4 add dns name="Ethernet 2" 69.30.209.16 index=2 

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Ethernet 3" static 63.141.x.x 255.255.255.252 63.141.x.x

netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="Ethernet 3" static 192.187.107.16

netsh interface ipv4 add dns name="Ethernet 3" 69.30.209.16 index=2
  • edan said: a

@edan said:

@wenxhwork said:
    I have read your tutorial about WSI install windows,I have a C2D E8200 and installed windows server 2003 successfully and using a script to set the network to static IP,but it doesn't work after reboot.What should I do?

What is your network interface on QEMU? make sure its match. You can write multi line with multiple network interface name.

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Ethernet 2" static 63.141.x.x 255.255.255.252 63.141.x.x
    > 
    > netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="Ethernet 2" static 192.187.107.16
    > 
    > netsh interface ipv4 add dns name="Ethernet 2" 69.30.209.16 index=2 
    > 
    > netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Ethernet 3" static 63.141.x.x 255.255.255.252 63.141.x.x
    > 
    > netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="Ethernet 3" static 192.187.107.16
    > 
    > netsh interface ipv4 add dns name="Ethernet 3" 69.30.209.16 index=2

In QEMU it shows Inter(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection,and in Grml it's Qualcomm Atheros AR8131

I added Ethernet2 & 3 just now and reboot but still failed to ping and connect RDP.

• edanedan Member

wenxhwork said: In QEMU it shows Inter(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection,and in Grml it's Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 I added Ethernet2 & 3 just now and reboot but still failed to ping and connect RDP.

No I mean the network interface name under "Network Connectons".

• edan said: /tmp/qemu-system-x86_64 -net nic -net user,hostfwd=tcp::3389-:3389 -m 2048M -localtime -enable-kvm -cpu host,+nx -M pc -smp 2 -vga std -usbdevice tablet -k en-us -cdrom /mnt/win8-64.iso -hda /dev/sda -boot once=d -vnc :1

@edan said:

wenxhwork said: In QEMU it shows Inter(R) PRO/1000 MT Network Connection,and in Grml it's Qualcomm Atheros AR8131 I added Ethernet2 & 3 just now and reboot but still failed to ping and connect RDP.

No I mean the network interface name under "Network Connectons".

I noticed it called Local Area Connection,and I tried to add a new connection called Ethernet but failed.

• edanedan Member

wenxhwork said: I noticed it called Local Area Connection,and I tried to add a new connection called Ethernet but failed.

It should named:

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 63.141.x.x 255.255.255.252 63.141.x.x

netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="Local Area Connection 2" static 192.187.107.16

netsh interface ipv4 add dns name="Local Area Connection 2" 69.30.209.16 index=2 

And so on.

• @edan said:

wenxhwork said: I noticed it called Local Area Connection,and I tried to add a new connection called Ethernet but failed.

It should named:

netsh interface ipv4 set address name="Local Area Connection 2" static 63.141.x.x 255.255.255.252 63.141.x.x
    > 
    > netsh interface ipv4 set dns name="Local Area Connection 2" static 192.187.107.16
    > 
    > netsh interface ipv4 add dns name="Local Area Connection 2" 69.30.209.16 index=2 
    > 

And so on.

I tried but still failed. Does it the problem of the driver? 2003 doesn't have the driver of Atheros AR8131? I tried to install 8131 driver via VNC but it says no device found. BTW,how can you install win8-64? I loaded the iso but failed,showing can't allocated memory.

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Bravo @edan . Kudos for you! $10 for a Win dedi sounds very nice!

• @netomx said:

That's cool but it's not that easy for me,I've been trying for days,still failed :'(

@wenxhwork said:

@netomx said:

That's cool but it's not that easy for me,I've been trying for days,still failed :'(

Tell us your error, then. Maybe we can help :)

• @netomx said:

@wenxhwork said:

@netomx said:

Tell us your error, then. Maybe we can help :)

The problem is that the server can't be online once after reboot. I did all the things,using script to change IP,close firewall and enable RDP,but still failed.
    I used QEMU to recheck the script and sure that the script works.
    And it's hard to debug because I don't know where to find error logs.

• edanedan Member

wenxhwork said: I tried but still failed. Does it the problem of the driver? 2003 doesn't have the driver of Atheros AR8131? I tried to install 8131 driver via VNC but it says no device found.

For driver using pnputil:

pnputil.exe -a c\yourdriver.inf

BTW,how can you install win8-64? I loaded the iso but failed,showing can't allocated memory.

Read this comments https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1726797/#Comment_1726797

Do you use task scheduler?

@netomx said:

Ask them to add free additional HDD so becomes 2 x 250GB (Soft Raid 1)

Well C2D CPU, 4GB RAM, 2 x250GB @ $10/m for US dedicated server is so da** cheap :)

Thanked by 1netomx

wenxhwork said: The problem is that the server can't be online once after reboot. I did all the things,using script to change IP,close firewall and enable RDP,but still failed. I used QEMU to recheck the script and sure that the script works. And it's hard to debug because I don't know where to find error logs.

first of all, PLEASE do NOT use 2003! It is EOL. It seems the problem is with your network driver, pal.

• @edan said:

wenxhwork said: I tried but still failed. Does it the problem of the driver? 2003 doesn't have the driver of Atheros AR8131? I tried to install 8131 driver via VNC but it says no device found.

For driver using pnputil:

pnputil.exe -a c\yourdriver.inf

BTW,how can you install win8-64? I loaded the iso but failed,showing can't allocated memory.

Read this comments https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1726797/#Comment_1726797

Do you use task scheduler?

@netomx said:

Ask them to add free additional HDD so becomes 2 x 250GB (Soft Raid 1)

Well C2D CPU, 4GB RAM, 2 x250GB @ $10/m for US dedicated server is so da** cheap :)

Thanks,I'll try again

• @netomx said:

wenxhwork said: The problem is that the server can't be online once after reboot. I did all the things,using script to change IP,close firewall and enable RDP,but still failed. I used QEMU to recheck the script and sure that the script works. And it's hard to debug because I don't know where to find error logs.

first of all, PLEASE do NOT use 2003! It is EOL. It seems the problem is with your network driver, pal.

But I can't install win8 or server 2008 due to memory allocate problem,I'll try again once the another HDD is installed.

wenxhwork said: win8 or server 2008

I think you can install win8 with 1GB RAM... have you tried sshfs for the iso?

• edanedan Member

@netomx said:

wenxhwork said: win8 or server 2008

I think you can install win8 with 1GB RAM... have you tried sshfs for the iso?

Seems he put the ISO on RAM so no more RAM left.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • ru_tldru_tld Member, Host Rep
    edited June 2016

It is not practical way to run Windows inside virtualization only just because you can't install it natively. In most cases you'll loose up to 20% of possible performance of your server.

I can suggest to try to install Windows natively using following steps.

1. Boot with your favourite linux rescue. GRML is ok.
    2. Create partitioning and NTFS on HDD (/dev/sda)
    3. Download install.wim (installation image from Windows ISO) and extract it to created partition using wimlib.
      https://wimlib.net/man1/wimlib-imagex-apply.html
    4. Extract bootmgr file from ISO into root directory of NTFS partition.
    5. Install grub4dos bootloader on to partition which will chainload /bootmgr
    6. hardest part You need to prepare Unattend.xml , which must contain at least Administrator account password and network settings for your server (IP,MASK,GW,MAC)
      (oobeSystem pass and specialize pass)
      You can search for already prepared Unattend.xml on gitgub.
      Unattend.xml must be placed to /windows/Panther/Unattend.xml

7. Reboot.

If your provider can boot you WinPE with VNCserver , you can remotely install Windows from WinPE environment. grub4dos will be replaced with bcdedit and wimlib with DISM.exe

I understand that this is not ready to copy-paste-execute manual, but I can confirm that such installation is possible and.

Practice with your local VM environment like VirtualBox to achieve suitable Unattend.xml script will save you a lot of time.

Thanked by 3deadbeef edan ehab
  • edanedan Member

ru_tld said: It is not practical way to run Windows inside virtualization only just because you can't install it natively. In most cases you'll loose up to 20% of possible performance of your server.

This is bare-metal actually.

Thanked by 1ru_tld
  • \
    @edan @netomx I successfully installed win8.1-64 and everything works fine in VNC but once I reboot I lost the Internet connection. I did close the firewall,added script to task scheduler,enabled RDP and using pnputil.exe to add an official inf to drivestore but still failed :'(

Thanked by 1netomx
  • edanedan Member

wenxhwork said: but still failed :'(

Did you choose options force to rerun the scripts when its fail?

• @edan said:

wenxhwork said: but still failed :'(

Did you choose options force to rerun the scripts when its fail?

No,I didn't see this option,I did reboot inside the QEMU and ensure the script changed the IP then I go to the control panel to reboot the server.
    I tried win 2003,8.1 and now 2008 all failed.

• edanedan Member

wenxhwork said: No,I didn't see this option,I did reboot inside the QEMU and ensure the script changed the IP then I go to the control panel to reboot the server. I tried win 2003,8.1 and now 2008 all failed.

Make sure to execute the scripts again if it fails "if the tasks fails, restart every" under settings. I choose every 3 minutes. You can delete the task later.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • wenxhworkwenxhwork Member
    edited June 2016

@edan said:

wenxhwork said: No,I didn't see this option,I did reboot inside the QEMU and ensure the script changed the IP then I go to the control panel to reboot the server. I tried win 2003,8.1 and now 2008 all failed.

Make sure to execute the scripts again if it fails "if the tasks fails, restart every" under settings. I choose every 3 minutes. You can delete the task later.

Succeed,it's the driver to blame,I change a driver and it works perfectly,thanks

Thanked by 2netomx edan
  • rmbellrmbell Member

I've followed this process and Windows 10 installed fine, however I think I'm missing the proper network driver as I couldn't RDP in after reboot. The box is a Online XC 2016, which is their custom hardware. Seems to be an Intel NIC, but does anyone know the correct driver to use for the XC 2016 with Windows 10? Thanks so much!