Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to upgrade Kernel in CentOS 7 VPS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to upgrade Kernel in CentOS 7 VPS?

TinkuTinku Member

I have to setup SynProxy on my VPS and the requirement is CentOS 7 with a kernel > 3.13. So i installed CentOS 7 already from SolusVM template but the kernal version is 3.10 so how can i upgrade kernal to the latest stable one through SSH without making my VPS unstable?

Comments

• Are you sure CentOS comes with a kernel > 3.13?

As I'm reading the release notes on RHEL it says RHEL 7.2 2015-11-19 3.10.0-327.

• TinkuTinku Member
    edited June 2016

@msg7086 said:
    Are you sure CentOS comes with a kernel > 3.13?

As I'm reading the release notes on RHEL it says RHEL 7.2 2015-11-19 3.10.0-327.

I am trying to follow this SYNPROXY tutorial at http://www.seflow.net/2/index.php/en/blog/synproxy-module-protect-yourself-by-syn-flood by @matteob

It says:

If you have CentOS 7 or any distribution with kernel > 3.13 and iptables 1.4.21 you have this module built-in.

Is that mean any kernal version for CentOS 7 but 3.13 for other distributions?

Sorry for my little knowlege of linux.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

As @msg7086 says...however, you could verify yourself by doing a "yum update" (without answering Yes) and seeing what updates to the kernel package are offered. If there's a 3.11 kernel, you can just yum update it and reboot.

I'm assuming you're on KVM here...OpenVZ is a different story.

• @Tinku said:
    It says:

If you have CentOS 7 or any distribution with kernel > 3.13 and iptables 1.4.21 you have this module built-in.

Is that mean any kernal version for CentOS 7 but 3.13 for other distributions?

Sorry for my little knowlege of linux.

Yea, note the word or.

• TinkuTinku Member

There tutorials available on google about upgrading linux kernel to stable 3.18.4 etc but i am not sure if it's gonna work fine?

• edanedan Member
    edited June 2016
  • TinkuTinku Member

@raindog308 said:
    As @msg7086 says...however, you could verify yourself by doing a "yum update" (without answering Yes) and seeing what updates to the kernel package are offered. If there's a 3.11 kernel, you can just yum update it and reboot.

I'm assuming you're on KVM here...OpenVZ is a different story.

i already did yum update and after that it says kernal 3.10. I am currently testing the setup on my KVM VPS but once confirmed i will make it online on my OpenVZ VPS that i use for my sites.

• TinkuTinku Member

@msg7086 said:

Yea, note the word or.

Will test it out and see if it works on 3.10

• TinkuTinku Member

Just checked they have 4.6 as the current stable version not sure if it's gonna work fine with cent o?

• @Tinku said:

Besides, CentOS / RHEL will only use one kernel base-version per major release. That being said, CentOS 7.3, 7.5, 7.8, etc, all future 7.x will also be on 3.10.0 and you'll never see 3.11+ on this major release. It's by design.

• @Tinku said:

You not need to upgrade it. If you have CentOS 7 the developers backported this module to work in el kernel. Just follow the howto loadings right kernel modules. CentOS 7 is synproxy ready

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

yup

or get a linode kvm vps they all default to kernel 4.5.5+

uname -r; cat /etc/redhat-release 
    4.5.5-x86_64-linode69
    CentOS Linux release 7.2.1511 (Core) 

• TinkuTinku Member

@msg7086 said:

@Tinku said:

Besides, CentOS / RHEL will only use one kernel base-version per major release. That being said, CentOS 7.3, 7.5, 7.8, etc, all future 7.x will also be on 3.10.0 and you'll never see 3.11+ on this major release. It's by design.

Thanks for explaining

• TinkuTinku Member

@matteob said:

@Tinku said:

You not need to upgrade it. If you have CentOS 7 the developers backported this module to work in el kernel. Just follow the howto loadings right kernel modules. CentOS 7 is synproxy ready

oh ok so i can just go ahead with the tutorial because CentOS is already installed and updated.

• @Tinku said:

yes