Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any good OpenVPN install script?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any good OpenVPN install script?

YmpkerYmpker Member

Heya,
Looking to setup my own vpn and need an install script.
Found this one: https://github.com/Nyr/openvpn-install
Any good? If not can you recommend a better one?

Comments

• NekkiNekki Veteran

That the best one you're going to find.

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Nyr's is awesome.

Francisco

• ATHKATHK Member

If your only going to have one user, use Openvpn-as

Thanked by 1Rami
  • erkinerkin Member

That's the one I also use. I can recommend it.

• YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2016

Worked like a charm! A quick question though:
    Would this also work with NAT? As I see it there is only one port assigned isn't there?
    So if that port is within NAT range..

@ATHK Nyrs worked like a charm already :P And yeah, it's just me and my desire to watch US Flix xD

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • mailcheapmailcheap Member, Host Rep

I use Nyr's script too. Working on an open-source web-GUI for it. Will post here soon!

Thanked by 2Ympker NanoG6
  • +1 for Nyr

• YmpkerYmpker Member

So my only problem now is that DO IPs seem to be blacklisted for flix US :/
    Gotta find some smalelr provider I guess^^

• BradBrad Member

OpenVPN-AS super easy to install and comes with a web GUI if that's any use to you.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

ATHK said: If your only going to have one user, use Openvpn-as

You need a lot more resources to run the AS though, and Nyr's script is actually quicker than setting up the AS.

• ATHKATHK Member

@Nekki said:

You need a lot more resources to run the AS though, and Nyr's script is actually quicker than setting up the AS.

True it is easy though. Never tried that script.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@ATHK said:

@Nekki said:

True it is easy though. Never tried that script.

The webgui really is neat, however for my purposes (aka flix4thewin) Nyrs seems to be as easy as it can get :P

Thanked by 1ATHK
  • @Ympker said:
    Would this also work with NAT? As I see it there is only one port assigned isn't there?

Yes, It does work on NAT VPS. You just have to choose right port when installing.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2016

@sayem314 said:

@Ympker said:

Yes, It does work on NAT VPS. You just have to choose right port when installing.

Awesome! Thanks mate :) Now a quick question: Does it matter at all which port I choose (as long as it is available and not used by another serice)? Because vpn providers always have either that webport 80 or https port (forgot xD).

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2016

@Ympker said:

@sayem314 said:

@Ympker said:

Awesome! Thanks mate :) Now a quick question: Does it matter at all which port I choose (as long as it is available and not used by another serice)? Because vpn providers always have either that webport 80 or https port (forgot xD).

No. Feel free to use any port assigned to you. It'll work fine as long as you don't configure any other service to try and use the same port as OpenVPN.

Thanked by 2Ympker sayem314
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited June 2016

@K4Y5 said:

@Ympker said:

@sayem314 said:

@Ympker said:

No. Feel free to use any port assigned to you. It'll work fine as long as you don't configure any other service to try and use the same port as OpenVPN.

No, I won't install any other services on that vps. What are these config files anyway? Are they considered a "login"? So if I give my friend my config he could also use openvpn at the same time to watch netflix? Or would I need to create a second profile/config?

• @Ympker said:
    No, I won't install any other services on that vps. What are these config files anyway? Are they considered a "login"?

Yes, your config file is your login.

So if I give my friend my config he could also use openvpn at the same time to watch netflix? Or would I need to create a second profile/config?

Yes he can use at same time but not recommended. I would advise you to create new config, Nyr's vpn script can do that in a click.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@sayem314 said:

@Ympker said:
    No, I won't install any other services on that vps. What are these config files anyway? Are they considered a "login"?

So if I give my friend my config he could also use openvpn at the same time to watch netflix? Or would I need to create a second profile/config?

Yes he can use at same time but not recommended. I would advise you to create new config, Nyr's vpn script can do that in a click.

Alright, so why would I use a seperate config file if one works just fine? Performance issues?

• @Ympker said:

@sayem314 said:

@Ympker said:

Alright, so why would I use a seperate config file if one works just fine? Performance issues?

For better security I think.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • TomTom Member

@Ympker said:

@sayem314 said:

@Ympker said:

From personal experience I can't have two users connected at a time on the same config. I think this is because it assigns an interal ip per config.

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • NekkiNekki Veteran

Ympker said: Alright, so why would I use a seperate config file if one works just fine? Performance issues?

So if your mate mugs you off, you can revoke his access without revoking everyone else's.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

@Yoda said:

@Ympker said:

@sayem314 said:

@Ympker said:

From personal experience I can't have two users connected at a time on the same config. I think this is because it assigns an interal ip per config.

Ah, alright^^

• @Nekki said:

Ympker said: Alright, so why would I use a seperate config file if one works just fine? Performance issues?

So if your mate mugs you off, you can revoke his access without revoking everyone else's.

Exactly!

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • YmpkerYmpker Member

@sayem314 said:

@Nekki said:

Exactly!

Alright, lol :P He's a good lad though^^

• RamiRami Member
    edited June 2016

@Nyr's script is amazing and I'm using it for long time now

But if your are going to use it for 1 or 2 users only then as @ATHK say AS will be great as well and their WebUI is great you should try it

@Nekki said:

I used it before on a 64M of RAM VPS :D

Thanked by 1Ympker
  • Nyr's script is basically the final word on quick openvpn setups

• I love openvpn-AS webui. Comes with udp+tcp listen option.

I wish they had a repo instead of requiring dpkg install.

• YmpkerYmpker Member

Amazing! :)