Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPSDime Review - 9 Months In
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPSDime Review - 9 Months In

Just over 9 months ago I signed up for a VPSDime High RAM plan in Dallas. I got it when @serverian was running a 1 month launch trial, and ended up sticking around.

High RAM VPS (Dallas)

Performance on the VPS in Dallas has been excellent. I never bothered benchmarking much of anything, the performance was good and my sites were up - zero issues since mid-September last year. I don't recall any real downtime other than the odd reboot - which I believe were for upgrades(!) - Node was upgraded to SSD Cached for free.

The service has been excellent and I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a high RAM VPS with solid performance, it's a steal at $7/mo for 6GB.

Move to High Storage

My rebill date was a couple days ago, and due to my recent dedi purchase I didn't have a real need for the High Memory VPS anymore so I requested a move to their newer Storage VPS line - asking if I could apply my upcoming credit to a storage VPS. I got a response near instantly and the new box was setup in minutes.

I requested to stay in the same location (Dallas) and after ~24 hours testing I wasn't thrilled with the network performance. The box has excellent download speeds, but upload speeds to the other boxes I tested wasn't up to my standards. Could only get 1.5-3MB/s up. While still decent and backups to the box would be fast, I could see there might be a problem if I ever needed to restore the backups quickly.

After a quick ticket in I was offered a move. Their support were willing to throw a test file up in the UK location for me to try out and speeds looked good. Gave the go-ahead and was moved within an hour or so.

Overall Score: 9.5/10

I've been happily using the VPSDime service for 9 months and hope to use them for many more years. They're right up there with my other 2 favourite providers (BuyVM & Ramnode). I can only dock half a point for the 'poor' network performance as my experience up to that point, and now past that point, has been nothing but excellent.

I've also been a happy Winity.io customer with a 4GB box in Los Angeles since ~February.

Comments

• +1 on VPSDime. I've had a NJ box for just over two months and it's been flawless. Couldn't ask for better.

Thanked by 1serverian
  • Thank you for the review @mikeyur. We are glad to have you!

As well as you, @sleddog :)

• GunterGunter Member

Do you recommend VPSDime for production tasks?

• @Gunter said:
    Do you recommend VPSDime for production tasks?

I had some small production tasks running there without issue, so I would say yes :) They're in my 'production worthy' list for sure.

• GunterGunter Member
    edited June 2014

I had some small production tasks running there without issue, so I would say yes :) They're in my 'production worthy' list for sure.

I've always kinda passed off VPSDime because they're one of those High RAM, low prices offerings. I'm considering reconsidering whether if I would consider them to be acceptable on my considerations list of considered production hosts that I would consider capable of handling my future projects that I have yet to consider the implications that may require considerations of an infrastructure degree regarding a considered host.

• Gunter said: I've always kinda passed off VPSDime because they're one of those High RAM, low prices offerings. I'm considering reconsidering whether if I would consider them to be acceptable on my considerations list of considered production hosts.

That's a considerable amount of considering you're doing. I suggest you consider them.

Thanked by 1Mark_R
  • @Gunter said:

What we are doing is explained with a very simple math. 6GB VPS on 384GB servers vs 2GB VPS on 32GB servers. If you find the ratio, you'll see we are overselling less than 2GB on 32GB :)

Thanked by 1Dylan
  • IMO, overselling and over-provisioning are very different things. A responsible and knowledgeable provider can oversell without affecting the client's VPS experience. On the other hand, over-provisioning always has a negative affect. There are several telltale signs (visible from within a VM) that indicate a node is over-provisioned. My NJ VPSDime box shows none of them. Is it oversold? I hope so, cause that's good for @serverian's business :)

Thanked by 1serverian
  • GunterGunter Member

Still any plans for offloaded mysql in New Jersey or Los Angeles? What about a Netherlands location? (I'm not sure exactly of this bit I remember you mentioning that all UK customers would migrated to the Netherlands but orders would be taken).

• mike0000mike0000 Member
    edited June 2014

@serverian Forgot to ask via ticket earlier, but is IPv6 coming to the UK location** at some point?

**UK Storage plans

• serverianserverian Member
    edited June 2014

@Gunter said:
    Still any plans for offloaded mysql in New Jersey or Los Angeles? What about a Netherlands location? (I'm not sure exactly of this bit I remember you mentioning that all UK customers would migrated to the Netherlands but orders would be taken).

Yes, we are going to launch the offloaded mysql service in New Jersey and Los Angeles soon. We are not still certain about Netherlands. Since Netherlands is a boring location with many providers. We are exploring our options for other European countries such as Hungary and Austria to provide a real central European location with good latency to everywhere in Europe.

@mikeyur said:
    serverian Forgot to ask via ticket earlier, but is IPv6 coming to the UK location** at some point?

**UK Storage plans

Good reminder. I totally forgot to roll IPv6 on storage plans for some reason. I'll roll them in all locations on Monday.

Thanked by 3Zigara Gunter Cpt_Ben
  • GunterGunter Member

Any general timeframe for SQL in other locations?

• ironhideironhide Member
    edited June 2014

VPSDime is awesome!

It would be fantastic if the offloaded mysql was offered with storage VPS too (even if it's only in dallas)

is that possible @serverian

• @Gunter said:
    Any general timeframe for SQL in other locations?

In a ~month.

@ironhide said:
    VPSDime is awesome!

It would be fantastic if the offloaded mysql was offered with storage VPS too (even if it's only in dallas)

is that possible serverian

We'll do an exception for your case since you are an awesome customer. PM'd.

Thanked by 2ironhide Gunter
  • serverian said: We'll do an exception for your case

You're just freaking awesome, as always. Thanks a lot man :)

• I only have a 512M with VPSDime and I would say it is pretty stable. Might consider to add a high RAM node as one of production one after several testing anc observation. However, I have the good experience of other @serverian's brands such as Backupsy and Winity :-)

• I am using one of their 512mb yearly plans and think it is great. I am running a few production sites off of this VPS with the offloaded SQL and have had no issues in the 3 months I have been using them. Uptime and performance are far better than other hose that I use, which I am paying much more for. VPSDime is safe for Production!

• kaflokaflo Member

@sleddog said:
    There are several telltale signs (visible from within a VM) that indicate a node is over-provisioned.

please do tell what are the signs.

Thanked by 1Gunter
  • darkshiredarkshire Member
    edited June 2014

VPSDime is a solid provider; any servian brand (VPSDime Backupsy or Winity) is highly recommended.

• kaflo said: please do tell what are the signs.

On an idle container:

• Phantom load: it should be at (or damn close to) 0.00 0.00 0.00, not 0.10 0.08 0.1 on an idle container
    • Periods of elevated IO wait: the impact of node IO wait should be minimal within a container.
    • vSwap usage: with ample free RAM, vSwap usage be minimal.

To measure these things you need to script something, watch it for a few days -- and ensure the container truly does remain idle (no cron jobs, logrotate, etc.)

Thanked by 2kaflo FrankZ
  • @sleddog said:
    Please share your script :D

• HybridHybrid Member

Add Skrill alreadyyyyyyy, I wanna buy!

• XeiXei Member

I think they've done good market research to fill specific needs in what I think is a less saturated or niche market.

• FrankZFrankZ Veteran
    edited June 2014

EDIT: posted in error

• Are the VPSDime storage plans OK to use as a normal VPS? I would like to try their service, although i need a little more disk!

• +1 for vpsdime.

i recommended to my friend and he's happy with them :)

• @linuxthefish said:
    Are the VPSDime storage plans OK to use as a normal VPS? I would like to try their service, although i need a little more disk!

The IO is throttled on storage plans so MySQL won't run good. While we allow regular usage on these plans, we strongly advice against it. You can purchase extra storage on high ram VPS plans in Dallas or NJ for $1 per 10GB.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • darkdark Member

will VPSdime now support IPv6 and RDNS for both v4 and v6 too?

• DamianDamian Member
    edited June 2016

Yeah, open a ticket and we'll give you an ETA for provisioning of it on the particular server you're on. The total number of people who have requested IPv6 can literally be counted on two hands, so nodes tend to not be set up until someone on the node wants it. RDNS for v4 has always been available, no plans for RDNS for v6 yet; use v4 to send mail.

Thanked by 1vimalware