Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.Net / Plex / Storage woes! - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.Net / Plex / Storage woes!

2»

Comments

• @pbgben said:
    @piratehitman

So, I was running a mWOPR with online.net (Spec in sig below) and its a beast! Added on the RPN-SAN as my storage grew and eventually the ST12 was a cheaper option so moved to that. Performance is perfect no issues with connecting to the ST12 running freenas and its running quite a few streams http://grab.by/PYgq

Bloody hell how much does that cost you!?

Have you made what I was talking about today into a business model? :P

• ATHKATHK Member

Kimsufi?

• vfusevfuse Member, Host Rep

You can get a 4x4tb server at hetzner Auction for about 45 euros. Perfect for plex!

• DamianDamian Member

PirateHitman said: That's not possible without the business support is it?

It's not, but I'd sell you 4U of rack space for Plex storage usage on consumer NAS units if you'd like. It won't be bottom-barrel pricing like what you're expecting, but you can probably wedge about 64 TB in 4U with 8TB drives in $150 synology units, grow at your own pace.

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@PirateHitman said:

@pbgben said:
    @piratehitman

So, I was running a mWOPR with online.net (Spec in sig below) and its a beast! Added on the RPN-SAN as my storage grew and eventually the ST12 was a cheaper option so moved to that. Performance is perfect no issues with connecting to the ST12 running freenas and its running quite a few streams http://grab.by/PYgq

I'd love to... Sadly im not of a business mind and Plex goes after people advertising commercially (Disables servers)

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran

@pbgben said:
    @piratehitman

Damn, what a monster!

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • @ATHK said:
    Kimsufi?

Do you mean get another hosting there or move there?

@vfuse said:
    You can get a 4x4tb server at hetzner Auction for about 45 euros. Perfect for plex!

Does it matter if the disks aren't on SSD? Impact on performance?

@Damian said:

PirateHitman said: That's not possible without the business support is it?

It's not, but I'd sell you 4U of rack space for Plex storage usage on consumer NAS units if you'd like. It won't be bottom-barrel pricing like what you're expecting, but you can probably wedge about 64 TB in 4U with 8TB drives in $150 synology units, grow at your own pace.

That would be out of my current budget then, thanks for the offer though!

@pbgben said:

@PirateHitman said:

@pbgben said:
    @piratehitman

I'd love to... Sadly im not of a business mind and Plex goes after people advertising commercially (Disables servers)

Really? Didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up! Also you have absolute monster on your hands! Do you do Share for Share's? Wouldn't mind having a peak at your monstrous library...

• dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited June 2016

I'd imagine that's where something like Emby might be better which can be set for local-auth.

That said I can kinda see where plex are coming from as they don't want to be sued I'd imagine.

Edit:

Colocker might be useful for hosting NAS's but I'm not really sure on the quality of their international transit (Domestic within the UK is usually ok)

• @dragon2611 said:

I'd imagine that's where something like Emby might be better which can be set for local-auth.

That said I can kinda see where plex are coming from as they don't want to be sued I'd imagine.

Edit:

Colocker might be useful for hosting NAS's but I'm not really sure on the quality of their international transit (Domestic within the UK is usually ok)

This really peaked my interest, contacted.