Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Online.Net / Plex / Storage woes!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Online.Net / Plex / Storage woes!

Hello,

I currently host a Plex for a few friends / family on their services and I am very very quickly running out of diskspace, I am currently on https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-lt

I was thinking either to get a cloud storage provider, get a RPN SAN from Online.net (Anyone had experience with these? How are they?), or buy a VPS just for storage.

Any idea's? This is all I can think up right now!

PH

Comments

• You need ssd disk or hdd is fine?

• I was getting decent speeds from the online.net XC servers to the storage servers from time4vps.

They have great deals on storage vps nodes. I was using them as NFS mounts for backups. They might work okay since the Plex encoding would be done on the Online.net side. I think Time4VPS also offers a money back guarantee. Contact them to find out.

• @dodheimsgard said:
    You need ssd disk or hdd is fine?

The network to them has to be awesome but not really fussed.

@Hadriel said:
    I was getting decent speeds from the online.net XC servers to the storage servers from time4vps.

They have great deals on storage vps nodes. I was using them as NFS mounts for backups. They might work okay since the Plex encoding would be done on the Online.net side. I think Time4VPS also offers a money back guarantee. Contact them to find out.

Any sort of lag in using it in this way?

• I have never used them with Plex. Just with connected NFS mounts pushing backups to them. If they do in fact still have their money back policy, just order a small one and give it a try. I was able to get 200-300mbit reliably when pulling down backups from them to my XC located in Paris.

I pushed in a backup and then had to do a few restores.

http://imgur.com/c3HwsV9

• NekkiNekki Veteran

Just delete all the pr0n you're hiding on there.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Hadriel said:
    I have never used them with Plex. Just with connected NFS mounts pushing backups to them. If they do in fact still have their money back policy, just order a small one and give it a try. I was able to get 200-300mbit reliably when pulling down backups from them to my XC located in Paris.

I pushed in a backup and then had to do a few restores.

http://imgur.com/c3HwsV9

I might give it a shot, never setup a NFS server before so this will be fun :)

@Nekki said:

Nothing of the sort on there! It's mainly shows / movies killing my storage (720p / 1080p quality on everything...).

• When you order a storage server from them it comes with filer already installed. I think its less than 10 commands to open up the default NFS share. But you do have to put in a ticket with them to enable NFS server on your container.

I think you could be up and running with in a few hours if you put in the support ticket during their business hours, otherwise it can take a bit of time waiting for the NFS ticket.

• NekkiNekki Veteran
    edited June 2016

@PirateHitman said:

@Nekki said:

Nothing of the sort on there! It's mainly shows / movies killing my storage (720p / 1080p quality on everything...).

W/e - just delete a few of those nasty 4k vids and you'll have plenty of space left.

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @Hadriel said:
    When you order a storage server from them it comes with filer already installed. I think its less than 10 commands to open up the default NFS share. But you do have to put in a ticket with them to enable NFS server on your container.

I think you could be up and running with in a few hours if you put in the support ticket during their business hours, otherwise it can take a bit of time waiting for the NFS ticket.

Any documentation on these commands? Can you point me to anything? First time doing it... I am technical but a point in the right direction is always handy!

How is their service otherwise? Much downtime?

@Nekki said:

@PirateHitman said:

@Nekki said:

W/e - just delete a few of those nasty 4k vids and you'll have plenty of space left.

LOL nothing at all is 4k... Plus I'm deleting slower than new stuff is going on. I have paused requests temporarily so I can figure this out.. Sonarr still picks up a new episode every day or so will run out of steam at one point.

• HadrielHadriel Member
    edited June 2016

https://community.time4vps.eu/discussion/15/mount-storage-server-with-nfs

I have never had any unscheduled downtime that wasn't caused by my own stupidity yet.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

PirateHitman said: LOL nothing at all is 4k... Plus I'm deleting slower than new stuff is going on. I have paused requests temporarily so I can figure this out.. Sonarr still picks up a new episode every day or so will run out of steam at one point.

Just tell your family/friends to fuck off and run their own Plex server, problem solved, you can just have your current box for you, your GoT episodes and the 450GB of fapping material.

Thanked by 3rm_ doughmanes netomx
  • PirateHitmanPirateHitman Member
    edited June 2016

@Hadriel said:
    https://community.time4vps.eu/discussion/15/mount-storage-server-with-nfs

I have never had any unscheduled downtime that wasn't caused by my own stupidity yet.

By your own stupidity made me laugh loud in a very awkwardly quiet office... Thanks for the info. I'll give it a run in a day or two when I get a chance.

Spotted the bit for enabling a Windows Feature for getting NFS access on a Windows box too.

@Nekki said:

PirateHitman said: LOL nothing at all is 4k... Plus I'm deleting slower than new stuff is going on. I have paused requests temporarily so I can figure this out.. Sonarr still picks up a new episode every day or so will run out of steam at one point.

Just tell your family/friends to fuck off and run their own Plex server, problem solved, you can just have your current box for you, your GoT episodes and the 450GB of fapping material.

But then who would take money off their hands for something I paid once for and I've been charging them 170% the price of Netflix :) Pays for the server, and most likely 2 VPS's which can be 4tb a piece. Plus I could sell more space to other people, effectively giving me a surplus of funds :)

Money is the motive my friend, not pr0n.

• AmitzAmitz Member

You take money from friends and family? Are you a Ferengi?

• @Amitz said:
    You take money from friends and family? Are you a Ferengi?

No but I provide a alternative to Netflix which has a very small selection with a selection which can be requested on will which is done via request channels. One size does not fit all.

Rather than paying them, they pay me to maintain and host all this for them. If a friend and / or family came to you with a broken window, would you replace it for free? Monthly basis? For Multiple friends? Even if you made the glass? Of course not.

Bills still need to be paid, if you make something off the top meh. Like now I am always investing into making things better, I went from a 240GB server to a 750GB server and I manage it all for them in the back (times where Sonarr finds no downloads and needs manual searching, downloads come with random video files as intros, general maintenance) so it's money well spent.

If you can do all this for free for friends / family, let's be friends :)

Thanked by 1tommy
  • get another box at online.net (this time with HDD's) and use the RPN connection?

• @dragon2611 said:
    get another box at online.net (this time with HDD's) and use the RPN connection?

Their cheapest storage box is like 80 euro's and 60 euros setup free... Not happening.

Their RPN-SAN is better for 10 euros for 1TB...

• Their cheapest storage box is like 80 euro's and 60 euros setup free... Not happening.

You need to charge more :) Tell the friends your costs are going up!

Thanked by 1netomx
  • @josephb said:

Their cheapest storage box is like 80 euro's and 60 euros setup free... Not happening.

You need to charge more :) Tell the friends your costs are going up!

If I do that I might as well go out and hit the best server in their range!

I'd rather not though, I won't overcharge them but if I did do that I could probably setup high availibility Plex LOL Using the server now as primary and that storage box as a backup!

But I think that's a bit overkill just for some GoT and other shows....

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited June 2016

PirateHitman said: No but I provide a alternative to Netflix

Geez, you're one delusional mofo with incredibly dumb and gullible friends.

BTW, comparing a 750GB seedbox that you overcharge your 'friends' for, with limited content options to netflix is pure LET gold!

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@PirateHitman said:

If you can do all this for free for friends / family, let's be friends :)

I do it all for free for family and friends, but since you're such a tightwad I don't think we can be friends :-/

Thanked by 3vimalware netomx lazyt
  • @PirateHitman said:

@dragon2611 said:
    get another box at online.net (this time with HDD's) and use the RPN connection?

Their RPN-SAN is better for 10 euros for 1TB...

It's 40 euros for one with 2x 4TB in...

Or you could even host another Plex server elsewhere... I believe the offical apps will just list any servers you have access to.

• Hetzner?

• Get yourself a Hetzner storage box. I currently have a rather large Plex setup (4 Hetzner action servers, each with 2x3TB drives and also a 5TB storage box mounted via SMB/CIFS)

• If you are considering switching to hetzner, their per GB price is close to Time4VPS on their new storage servers. You just have a decently high setup fee.

• I ordered a 12T backup from OVH and instead of the Atom, got a Xeon-D

• DamianDamian Member
    edited June 2016

Get consumer NAS units. Put them in the bottom of one of your racks. Enjoy nearly unlimited add-on storage for your Linux ISOs because they use about 10 watts of power each.

Thanked by 2doughmanes netomx
  • @K4Y5 said:

BTW, comparing a 750GB seedbox that you overcharge your 'friends' for, with limited content options to netflix is pure LET gold!

Before you call me a 'mofo and delusional', just because you like your content controlled by someone who says your allowed to watch it. We don't.

Like I said before, Netflix doesn't cater for everyone. One size doesn't fit all and it matters on region on the content you get (They're blocking VPN connections in and people proxying into the US Netflix for a reason... Many people are unhappy with this point but it's licensing and no way around it).

@doughmanes said:
    I ordered a 12T backup from OVH and instead of the Atom, got a Xeon-D

You lucky bastard.

@Damian said:
    Get consumer NAS units. Put them in the bottom of one of your racks. Enjoy nearly unlimited add-on storage for your Linux ISOs because they use about 10 watts of power each.

That's not possible without the business support is it?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@piratehitman

So, I was running a mWOPR with online.net (Spec in sig below) and its a beast! Added on the RPN-SAN as my storage grew and eventually the ST12 was a cheaper option so moved to that. Performance is perfect no issues with connecting to the ST12 running freenas and its running quite a few streams http://grab.by/PYgq

@PirateHitman said:

@K4Y5 said:

Before you call me a 'mofo and delusional', just because you like your content controlled by someone who says your allowed to watch it. We don't.

Like I said before, Netflix doesn't cater for everyone. One size doesn't fit all and it matters on region on the content you get (They're blocking VPN connections in and people proxying into the US Netflix for a reason... Many people are unhappy with this point but it's licensing and no way around it).

@doughmanes said:
    I ordered a 12T backup from OVH and instead of the Atom, got a Xeon-D

You lucky bastard.

@Damian said:

That's not possible without the business support is it?

You need a rack.... so not within OP's abilities.

As an additional note, I've been thinking about getting a list of the content NF has and just filling my box with it too. Or perhaps just the NF Originals :P