Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to check whether if someone using my wireless?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to check whether if someone using my wireless?

xenocckxenocck Member

I am from Malaysia and using streamyx. Recently i found my line getting slow and the website is loading too long. I have asked my family members and no one has download something or streaming video. It has been a week for this case.

Comments

• are there people using win10.
    win10 does like to download tons off updates without noticing you.

if you are able to get into the router check on current connected mac adresses.
    and count ho many off your family members are using it.

Thanked by 2xenocck tamicrealo
  • don't you have a router admin panel which you can see connected devices?

...or maybe your ISP's peering is bad... i don't know - i went to johor bahru a few times before, and everytime, i was better off connecting back to Singtel (SG) on GPRS... any public wifi (includes hotel) either didn't work or was too overloaded for me to get online.

Thanked by 1xenocck
  • LiteServerLiteServer Member, Patron Provider

Most modem/routers will show you a list of all active WLAN connections, showing both the IP and MAC.
    As alternative you can also just change the WPA key, but that shouldn't be needed though ;-)

There could also be something with your internet connection itself. Restart your modem/router, and disable wireless. Connect one device to your router using a network cable and test again to see if the performance changes. If you see no improvement, you'll most likely have a problem with your internet connection or the ISP itself has capacity/routing issues.

Thanked by 2perryoo11 xenocck
  • Change your wifi password bro, default tm streamyx installation usually using wep encryption. Change it to wpa2 and strong password. Limit by mac address if possible.

Thanked by 2netomx xenocck
  • See connected devices:

• tommytommy Member

time to put firewall behind your router, then you will know whats really going on on your network

Thanked by 1xenocck
  • Log into your router and add a exception list for your devices MAC list. I have recently switched to a new Wireless and in pure laziness, I ran it with default configurations. (Yes, Password protected) Few days later, Found out one of my neighbor is using it.

Thanked by 1xenocck
  • pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Setup reverse proxy to replace IMG with pron, they will stop using it soon.

• @pbgben said:
    Setup reverse proxy to replace IMG with pron, they will stop using it soon.

That's what I call a "hands-on" solution :D

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

sdglhm said: Log into your router and add a exception list for your devices MAC list. I have recently switched to a new Wireless and in pure laziness, I ran it with default configurations. (Yes, Password protected) Few days later, Found out one of my neighbor is using it.

I'm not a wifi guy but I've heard that MAC exclusions are trivial to circumvent.

Likewise, hiding the SSID.

However, they might be sufficient to stop unsophisticated users.

• @raindog308 said:
    I'm not a wifi guy but I've heard that MAC exclusions are trivial to circumvent.

It's exactly as you said. MAC can be spoofed and the block can be bypassed, but first you have to sniff traffic, find a whitelisted one etc. Which stops the Windows users and most casual Linux users.

Thanked by 2netomx xenocck
  • Input "arp -a" in your terminal.

Thanked by 1xenocck
  • noamannoaman Member
    edited June 2016

@deadbeef said:

@raindog308 said:

It's exactly as you said. MAC can be spoofed and the block can be bypassed, but first you have to sniff traffic, find a whitelisted one etc. Which stops the Windows users and most casual Linux users.
    @raindog308 said:

sdglhm said: Log into your router and add a exception list for your devices MAC list. I have recently switched to a new Wireless and in pure laziness, I ran it with default configurations. (Yes, Password protected) Few days later, Found out one of my neighbor is using it.

Well if OP knows his users... And can whitelist all their Mac addresses...

But yes....not a complete solution

It will work....

Thanked by 1xenocck
  • rokokrokok Member

Change the password, and suspect someone in your family who start whining what the fuck wifi password not working ;p

• There's a free app called Fing for Android and iOS that does just that. :P

• @perryoo11 said:
    are there people using win10.
    win10 does like to download tons off updates without noticing you.

if you are able to get into the router check on current connected mac adresses.
    and count ho many off your family members are using it.

hmm..i am pretty sure my family doesn't use any win10 as they suggested me before that do not upgrade my pc to win10..anyway thank you..

• @louis_lau said:
    There's a free app called Fing for Android and iOS that does just that. :P

Thank you..will installed it

• @rokok said:
    Change the password, and suspect someone in your family who start whining what the fuck wifi password not working ;p

lol..i think so..hopefully my dad won't give me a punch..XD

• thanks everyone, i managed to find a weird mac address when i managed to login into my admin panel..

• good tips from @louis_lau i like that apps i use it alot when im paranoid.> There's a free app called Fing for Android and iOS that does just that. :P

• Or use wireshark if you are experienced =)

• @perryoo11 said:
    Or use wireshark if you are experienced =)

haha..i heard from it too but sadly its too complex to me..thanks anyway

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited June 2016

@theroyalstudent said:
    don't you have a router admin panel which you can see connected devices?

...or maybe your ISP's peering is bad... i don't know - i went to johor bahru a few times before, and everytime, i was better off connecting back to Singtel (SG) on GPRS... any public wifi (includes hotel) either didn't work or was too overloaded for me to get online.

H*ly epic batman!!! (and I complain about my LTE Advanced coverage falling to 3G)

Extra:

The last time I was in the US, 4G = LTE, 3G = 4G... I got 4 Mbps down at max. on "LTE" :(