Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strange Reboot Issue
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Strange Reboot Issue

SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

Note: I cant post this thread in LET, it triggers some Cloudflare WAF rule (lovely!).

Until a mod or someone can edit it in, this post is available on paste.ee. Sorry.

https://paste.ee/p/swxhP

Comments

• rds100rds100 Member

Uninstall the old kernel and be done with it?

• SplitIceSplitIce Member, Host Rep

@rd100: I am not comfortable with that, for one thats the backup kernel - two it doesnt identify the underlying cause potentially leaving a liability into the future.

For the record outcomes of different commands:

reboot -f : Correct kernel every time
    reboot: Boots into wrong kernel. Then 2nd reboot doesnt complete.
    systemctl reboot: Boots into wrong kernel

Currently I have been looking at this as a systemd issue (since reboot -f skips the init system), but I really cant figure out why. SystemD should have nothing at all to do with the kernel choice.

My only other theory has to do with the different places grub can be installed (MBR, bootable drive). Perhaps theres a difference in bios level?

• rds100rds100 Member

Could it be kexec-ing in to the wrong kernel, instead of a proper reboot? Do you have kexec-tools installed?

Thanked by 1SplitIce
    edited June 2016

I do have kexec installed, I dont suppose systemd (the abomination) does that?

• rds100rds100 Member

Yes, perhaps. So for a try uninstall kexec-tools and see if it reboots properly.
    If it does, you know the culprit.

Thanked by 1SplitIce
    edited June 2016

@rds100

apt-get remove kexec-tools seems to have solved it.

I confirmed it for sure by re-installing kexec-tools (even selected no to "should kexec-tools handle reboots"). Strange...

Manually disabling the kexec (kexec-load is fine) service seems to resolve it. Which is what answering no should have done, sigh.

Damn you systemd. This all worked for years, fine on SysV.

Thanks a million rds100, now at-least its narrowed down as SystemD + kexec-tools. Debian bug crawling time.

Thanked by 1netomx