Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which offer has better CPU perfomance? (BuyVM and Dediserve) - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which offer has better CPU perfomance? (BuyVM and Dediserve)

2»

Comments

• TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited June 2016

@dediserve If I create a server with 40 vcores, and only 2GB of ram, how does that work? Will I be the only client on that server? If so, you would be losing lots of money, but if not then the CPU cores aren't dedicated to me.

• @eva2000 said:
    @dediserve Is there still a limitation on max cpu cores per single vps instance in the server creation within a single pool ? when i last tried dediserve with 32 cpu pool, I couldn't get a single vps instance created with 32 cpus and had to get tech support to do it for me. This was ages back for Los Angeles Dediserve pool though with E5-2660v1 :)

The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

@TheOnlyDK - 40 cores with 2GB RAM is pretty impractical for most use cases, so we don't have any such configurations actually in use (plus you'd pay $210 a month just for the 38 cores that you'd have trouble getting use from :) )

• @dediserve said:

@eva2000 said:
    @dediserve Is there still a limitation on max cpu cores per single vps instance in the server creation within a single pool ? when i last tried dediserve with 32 cpu pool, I couldn't get a single vps instance created with 32 cpus and had to get tech support to do it for me. This was ages back for Los Angeles Dediserve pool though with E5-2660v1 :)

The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

@TheOnlyDK - 40 cores with 2GB RAM is pretty impractical for most use cases, so we don't have any such configurations actually in use (plus you'd pay $210 a month just for the 38 cores that you'd have trouble getting use from :) )

Yes, but we are talking about theoretically if someone does that, what would you do?

• @TheOnlyDK said:

@dediserve said:

Yes, but we are talking about theoretically if someone does that, what would you do?

Hypothetically, they'd be on their own on that hypervisor. In reality, it never happens :)

Worse case, we'd get about $250 per month for that blade, and would likely put the customer on a low RAM hybrid versions, rather than our 'full fat' public blades.

Thanked by 1TheOnlyDK
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2016

dediserve said: The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

yeah IIRC support say max via the gui console for server creation at the time for my pool was like 16 threads on my 32 max E5-2660v1. If i needed more that 16 per vps instance, they'd have to create it on their end. Is that still the case for new 40 cpu thread single vps via the console when creating a server in a pool ? i suppose limit following the same logic would be max 20 cpu threads per vps and >20 need tech support to do it for me ?

dediserve said: In reality, it never happens

except when I did :)

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@dediserve said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@dediserve said:

Hypothetically, they'd be on their own on that hypervisor. In reality, it never happens :)

Worse case, we'd get about $250 per month for that blade, and would likely put the customer on a low RAM hybrid versions, rather than our 'full fat' public blades.

You forgot 'cry over our onapp bill' somewhere in there. :P

Francisco

• Actually it's cheaper to order 20X 2GB LET specials than making it 40 Cores. 40 Cores cost $225.45 a month, while 20 2GB only cost $140 a month. Plus the additional RAM, Disk, IPs etc.

@dediserve So are the servers only utilizing 40GB of ram if everyone buys only the 2GB plans?

• @eva2000 said:

dediserve said: The Older CPUs probably didnt have as many cores? The default now is 40 per blade.

yeah IIRC support say max via the gui console for server creation at the time for my pool was like 16 threads on my 32 max E5-2660v1. If i needed more that 16 per vps instance, they'd have to create it on their end. Is that still the case for new 40 cpu thread single vps via the console when creating a server in a pool ? i suppose limit following the same logic would be max 20 cpu threads per vps and >20 need tech support to do it for me ?

dediserve said: In reality, it never happens

except when I did :)

There are no GUI limits now

• @Francisco said:

@dediserve said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

@dediserve said:

You forgot 'cry over our onapp bill' somewhere in there. :P

Francisco

Lol. We have a good deal ;)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • @TheOnlyDK said:
    Actually it's cheaper to order 20X 2GB LET specials than making it 40 Cores. 40 Cores cost $225.45 a month, while 20 2GB only cost $140 a month. Plus the additional RAM, Disk, IPs etc.

@dediserve So are the servers only utilizing 40GB of ram if everyone buys only the 2GB plans?

the 2gb plan offer has closed. Of course those plans are spread across all available public hypervisors. It's iur job to manage workloads so everyone gets full resources :)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2016

dediserve said: There are no GUI limits now

cheers @dediserve good to know :)