Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which offer has better CPU perfomance? (BuyVM and Dediserve)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Which offer has better CPU perfomance? (BuyVM and Dediserve)

sonicsonic Veteran

Dediserve and BuyVM has really good offers atm.

Dediserve:
2x Intel Xeon E5-2660v2 CPU
2GB RAM
50GB Enterprise RAID 10 SSD Storage

BuyVM:
1x E3-1270v3 thread (50% dedicated)
2GB RAM
40GB SSD

But i dont know which offer has better CPU performance?

Thanked by 1dediserve

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

Depends if you're single thread heavy.

Ours are 3.6Ghz or so where as Dedi's is probably ~2.5 ish given it's an E5.

We include windows if that changes things at all.

Francisco

Thanked by 1Geekoine
  • As Cisco said, depends on your use case. If it's single-threaded, then Buyvm, if not then Dediserve.

• AmitzAmitz Member

Aren't we all a bit single-threaded? ;-)

• sonicsonic Veteran

I build LEMP to host wordpress blog, which one is better for me?

• Buy both do HA.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@budi1413 said:
    Buy both do HA.

Really want to do HA, but i'm newbie at this. Do you know who or where has good/step by step tutorial or paid job which help me do this?

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited June 2016

Does BuyVM's 50% vCpu use some sort of credit scheduler or a hard-cap on Thread performance?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@vimalware said:
    Does BuyVM's 50% vCpu use some sort of credit scheduler or a hard-cap on Thread performance?

For now it's just fair share of the thread. The nodes all have plenty of space and we keep the load outs pretty spread out. If we get to a point where we see nothing but 24/7 cpu slamming on the shared CPU's (the $7/m plans only) and it's causing issues we'll do hard 50% caps.

@sonic - Either would be fine. 3.5Ghz+ is a lot of CPU and things are very zippy.

Francisco

• thatixthatix Member

Definitely go for dediserve's LET special plan. 7$ for 2 Core and 2GB RAM

https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/85620/new-dediserve-com-2gb-let-special-6-99-per-month#latest

Performance is pretty decent.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • emre22emre22 Member

I would avoid dediserve, had a lot off downtimes in the past. you can search for the long thread.

• @sonic said:
    Dediserve and BuyVM has really good offers atm.

Our cores are also 100% and our 12 drive raid 10 enterprise SSD means very very fast IO :)

• ehabehab Member
    edited June 2016

@Francisco has been around here long enough I belive he knows what he is doing and is stable... never had a chance with him before but maybe in future.

i can say @dediserve support is very fast, 2 notes if they can improve on

• change of vm location requires a ticket to be created. would be nice if you consider letting the user select it freely when available.

• early expiry of a vm. my self and other experienced 2-3 days before expiry date the plan is terminated. this can really be improved in your system.

like what budi1413 said, take both and judge for yourself.

Thanked by 3dediserve netomx nguyen
  • the buyvm one anyday. E3 wins easily against E5 single threaded.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

how much traffic are you expecting?

• No experience with buyvm, but using dediserve VM for WordPress (LEMP) and the site flies. Can totally recommend. No downtime in the last 4 months.

Thanked by 1dediserve
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@jcaleb said:
    how much traffic are you expecting?

My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

@sonic said:
    My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

Given that amount of traffic, the best way to save money would be to optimize it. Such website should run more than fine with any 256MB VM and a shared thread.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran

sonic said: Dediserve and BuyVM has really good offers atm.

Dediserve: 2x Intel Xeon E5-2660v2 CPU 2GB RAM 50GB Enterprise RAID 10 SSD Storage

BuyVM: 1x E3-1270v3 thread (50% dedicated) 2GB RAM 40GB SSD

But i dont know which offer has better CPU performance?

did benchmarks for both but at various times, Dediserve was a while back while BuyVM was with new KVM VPS - disclaimer though it was a trial limited test not paid VPS. Currently still have a live Dediserve 4 CPU Xen VPS in Sydney as part of my centminmod.com geo dns latency based cluster.

benchmarks

For same amount of CPU threads >1 CPU thread, I'd say BuyVM. But 1 CPU thread regardless of CPU or web host is really limiting for a full LEMP/LAMP stack that gets any kind of decent concurrent user traffic.

If you can stretch it to 2 CPU thread BuyVM new KVM plan, then that probably would be a better option.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2016

sonic said: My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

Stick with Linode if you can if bandwidth/network speed is important - you'd be capped at 250-500Mbit with Dediserve. Though 2GB Linode is 250Mbit cap on network out too.

• jcalebjcaleb Member

10k UV/day is light. Any of the two should be much more than enough. Yeah maybe even 256mb is fine like @Nyr mentioned. Even non ssd disk is ok.

Thanked by 1sonic
  • jcalebjcaleb Member

For me, the resources you mentioned is overkill. Just go for the provider you trust and more comfortable with

Thanked by 1sonic
  • sonicsonic Veteran

@eva2000 said:

sonic said: My WP site has on arround 10k UV/day, BW usage 300GB/month. It's running fine on linode 2048 (which is free upgrade to 4096 now). But i want to save money so i find new stable provider.

Stick with Linode if you can if bandwidth/network speed is important - you'd be capped at 250-500Mbit with Dediserve. Though 2GB Linode is 250Mbit cap on network out too.

I'm using easyengine to build Wordpress blog, it looks like ok. But i'm taking a look at Centminmod as it has been recommended so much today.

Do Centminmod auto optimize, configure webserver depend VPS resources?

• sonicsonic Veteran

@jcaleb said:

10k UV/day is light. Any of the two should be much more than enough. Yeah maybe even 256mb is fine like @Nyr mentioned. Even non ssd disk is ok.

Where is that link? My site has 20 plugins, i dont think it'll be fine with VPS under 512MB RAM

• jcalebjcaleb Member

I mean any of the host you mentioned should be fine

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2016

sonic said: Do Centminmod auto optimize, configure webserver depend VPS resources?

Yes CentminMod.com LEMP stack auto installer will detect all server cpu (number of cpu threads and even the type of cpu used including some specific kernel level supported parameters), memory and disk resources and then auto adjust the base configurations for nginx, php-fpm, mariadb, csf firewall and memcached server out of the box based on it's findings. This doesn't mean it's optimal for your web application and traffic but just means it's base configuration is optimal for what server resources you have available to use :)

Centmin Mod has a wordpress auto installer too http://centminmod.com/nginx-wordpress-installer.html. 123.09beta01 version is further improved security and performance wise :) Demo Wordpress7 site at http://wordpress7.centminmod.com/

Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 is the latest and greatest and has the most extensive feature set to date. See change log at https://centminmod.com/changelog.html so might want to try 123.09beta01 first. It's the next stable release to come just working on a few more things like

• I just wanted to add that I have found measurable performance differences in the HTTPS handshaking time between sites powered by 2GHz vs. the faster 3+GHz CPUs.

With HTTPS becoming more common and guests loading down crappy 2GHz nodes, some VMs are really struggling.

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2016

sonic said: I'm using easyengine to build Wordpress blog, it looks like ok. But i'm taking a look at Centminmod as it has been recommended so much today.

Also as your evaluating web stack installers, check their respective sites for OpenSSL CVE-2016-2107 vulnerabilities as alot of them are still outdated despite the fixed versions released 6 1/2 weeks ago ! You can check by inputting site into checker at https://filippo.io/CVE-2016-2107/ or run ssllabs test. Also be careful with web stack installers and check their nginx and ngx_pagespeed module versions (if they include them) some use outdated and insecure versions unlike Centmin Mod :)

Centmin Mod LEMP stacks are already secured and fixed at time of updated versions 6+ weeks ago as Centmin Mod LEMP supports both OpenSSL 1.0.2h and higher or LibreSSL 2.3.6+ and higher via variable switch LIBRESSL_SWITCH setting y = LibreSSL 2.3.6+ used for Nginx or n = OpenSSL 1.0.2h+ is used :)

tests

FYI, Centmin Mod 123.09beta01 Nginx also supports Nginx dynamic TLS record size patch from Cloudflare for better HTTPS performance too https://community.centminmod.com/threads/optimizing-tls-over-tcp-to-reduce-latency-tls-dynamic-record-sizing.7592/ :)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2016

globalRegisters said: I just wanted to add that I have found measurable performance differences in the HTTPS handshaking time between sites powered by 2GHz vs. the faster 3+GHz CPUs.

With HTTPS becoming more common and guests loading down crappy 2GHz nodes, some VMs are really struggling.

indeed not just the clock speed though, cpu architecture matters too - there's between 25-85% difference in performance between E3-1240v3 vs E3-1240v5 from benchmarks at https://community.centminmod.com/posts/24321/ !

Thanked by 1globalRegisters
  • Also bear in mind the overall architecture - an E5 typically means an 'enterprise' server - and all that means not only in performance, but in availability, reliability and hot swap (and scalability) You can spin up a 40 core, 256GB RAM VM on our cloud, for example :)

• eva2000eva2000 Veteran
    edited June 2016

dediserve said: Also bear in mind the overall architecture - an E5 typically means an 'enterprise' server - and all that means not only in performance, but in availability, reliability and hot swap (and scalability) You can spin up a 40 core, 256GB RAM VM on our cloud, for example :)

@dediserve Is there still a limitation on max cpu cores per single vps instance in the server creation within a single pool ? when i last tried dediserve with 32 cpu pool, I couldn't get a single vps instance created with 32 cpus and had to get tech support to do it for me. This was ages back for Los Angeles Dediserve pool though with E5-2660v1 :)