Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS usage when tunneling to a Dedicated Server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS usage when tunneling to a Dedicated Server

edited June 2016 in Help

Hi all,

I found a couple DDoS-Protected VPS's, but am curious how much do they eat up for GRE tunneling?

For example, BuyVM has a plan of 128mb for only $15/yr. If I find a dedicated server in the same vicinity and do a tunnel, the latency would should be fine, thus the tunnel would be ideal. The problem I have is I am not sure if 128mb is enough. Does this all depend on the amount of data being pass through the server? Would it most likely increase CPU usage instead of ram? I'm just not sure what kind of specs to look for, for a GRE tunneling only VPS.

Sorry for the all the questions, just trying to grasp what would work the best.

If it helps, the dedicated server will host a multiplayer nodejs game with around 1000 players (Websocket connections, 3-5 messages per 20 seconds or so) -- and run a small forum.

Appreciate any insight, thank you

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

How much resources do you need? We have some new kvm plans that are very welcome priced as well as have a lot of resources,so you could save yourself the need to tunnel

Francisco

• edited June 2016

Hey @Francisco,

That's funny you mentioned that I was just looking. It will definitely be over 1GB of ram. And probably just a bit more for my peace of mind. Unfortunately, I chose the Dedi route because I stumbled upon a thread here a couple hours ago, of which was some secret "LET special". An Xeon for around $7/m with 2gb. But, I havn't gone through with it yet, so I'm definitely open arms... Do you think utilizing a KVM would be more appropriate, latency wise as well?

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

I wouldn't even involve the dedicated unless you're getting it stupid cheap or you need more than 32gb ram.

Those plans go all the way to 32gb at $120/month.

Not tunneling would be ideal once you would be a lot better off.

Francisco

Thanked by 1BinaryWebsockets
  • edited June 2016

Alright. Yeah, I was just reading a bit more on GRE Tunneling and it does seem like there is a bit of added latency overhead (although, not sure if this is negligible) -- but, for a game server that is real time, it scares me.

I most likely will go your route instead, appreciate the insight

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Welcome back!