Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

QuadHost / i-83 Closing Delhi, IN Location
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

QuadHost / i-83 Closing Delhi, IN Location

K4Y5K4Y5 Member
edited June 2016 in Providers

Just got this email:

This e-mail is concerning your active VPS service with us: delvpn (192.16X.9X.1XX).

We regret to inform you this location (New Delhi, IN) will be closing shortly due to the prolonged issues with our upstream.

We would advise all users to take backups and protect any data immediately.

We are looking at other providers in the region however at this time none have met the requirements we set to roll out a solution to that location.

Account credit refunds will be offered at 125%, e.g. £4.50 server will receive £5.63 refund for any inconveniences caused (full refund + 25%). Credits will be processed over the next 24 hours.

At-least they're doing right by their clients and offering a 125% refund.

Thanked by 1i83

Comments

• brueggusbrueggus Member, IPv6 Advocate

Well, that's bad news. :(

Since the connectivity problems seem to only affect IPv4 connections, wouldn't it be possible to keep the location up as IPv6-only?

Would be fine for me, but I would suspect that many customers have the same opinion.

• TomTom Member

Got the same :/

• @AnthonySmith did 200% credits for closing SG location, mhmm

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@TheOnlyDK said:
    @AnthonySmith did 200% credits for closing SG location, mhmm

It's not a bid who gives more, is it ?

100% would be fair. 125% is a nice gesture of good will.

Thanked by 3ali71 i83 vimalware
  • @Clouvider said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

...and 200% is a gesture of "closing SG location would get me better sleep at night, thanks a lot", goodwill and generosity.

• @Clouvider said:

@TheOnlyDK said:

There's never a best, only better, so room for improvement, that's it :)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2016

Doing account credit only in this case is wrong in the first place, given that many people have probably signed up specifically for India. The next choice they could perhaps try is Singapore, except that the equivalent plan in Singapore is out of stock since months. Offer refunds, or make arrangements for more stock (or even automated migrations) to Singapore -- else that's a pretty lousy handling of the situation.

And what the f*ck they are gonna do with 125% refund anyway, if all products are on yearly billing and that's not enough to even get the next plan in the lineup. In effect the only offered option is getting the same VPS but now in a location they don't want, and have some leftover account credit lingering there for a year.

Thanked by 1MikeA
  • i83i83 Member
    edited June 2016

K4Y5 said: At-least they're doing right by their clients and offering a 125% refund.

@TheOnlyDK said:
    There's never a best, only better, so room for improvement, that's it :)

Thanks for the feedback!

brueggus said: Since the connectivity problems seem to only affect IPv4 connections, wouldn't it be possible to keep the location up as IPv6-only?

That was an option we considered but there is still too much general reliance on the IPv4 for this to work - we actually ran a few IPv6 only servers for clients (we are talking 3-4 compared to a few hundred v4 NAT based instances).

@rm_ said:
    Doing account credit only in this case is wrong in the first place,

We are flexible, if account credit really doesn't suit you then refunds can be arranged.

given that many people have probably signed up specifically for India.

Actually a large portion of the users in India have existing instances elsewhere. India is currently our lowest populated location.

The next choice they could perhaps try is Singapore, except that the equivalent plan in Singapore is out of stock since months.

We have additional capacity in other regions that isn't open for public orders as it has been reserved for bundle users and internal testing. Several users with instances in IN have already had migrations/transfers to SG.

Offer refunds,

Open a ticket we are more than happy to work something out.

or make arrangements for more stock (or even automated migrations) to Singapore -- else that's a pretty lousy handling of the situation.

Not everyone would want to be automatically migrated hence why we are not taking that route. We are already working on more stock for the public and as above have capacity available.

And what the f*ck they are gonna do with 125% refund anyway, if all products are on yearly billing and that's not enough to even get the next plan in the lineup.

What does the next plan have to do with anything? Users get a discount on their renewal. Essentially we are crediting users an additional percentage of their payment for the inconvenience caused as opposed to where we would traditionally extend renewal dates.

In effect the only offered option is getting the same VPS but now in a location they don't want, and have some leftover account credit lingering there for a year.

Maybe that is how you see it, the vast majority of customers we have spoken to so far have no issues with this route. We have a few more locations in mind for Asia that hope to be of interest for our customers.

It wasn't a decision taken by the team lightly however given the network performance and reliability as of late it is not meeting the levels of what we wish to provide to our customers. It is clear our upstream provider is not suitable based on recent events vs what we were "sold" during pre-sales for our initial deployment.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

It sucks that they're dropping their India location but I can confirm the network has been pretty bad. I reset the downtime monitoring on my status page (http://status.jmd.cc) on June 5th and the IPv4 address for the VPS has already been offline for 1958 minutes according to my 1 minute monitoring I've setup for it while IPv6 has had 0 downtime for the same period.

Their Varna, Bulgaria location on the other hand has had only 2 minutes of downtime for IPv4 and 7 minutes for IPv6 so I'll definitely be using the credit towards this VPS and continue using it in the future.

Thanked by 1i83
  • rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited June 2016

i83 said: What does the next plan have to do with anything? Users get a discount on their renewal.

That's only if they plan on renewing -- and if you don't go out of business by then.
    Anyways, point is that even this small 25% discount is only usable a whole year away. On the other hand if the credit kickback was higher and enough to get the 4.50 plan instead of 2.50 one, they'd be happier right now, and as a bonus for you -- maybe renew at the higher rate when it expires, paying out of their own pocket.

• TomTom Member

@i83 does this look correct? Looks a bit off to me...

• i83i83 Member

rm_ said: That's only if they plan on renewing

For credit you could say that - Bear in mind most clients have more than one service (not just limited to NAT range) which it could be used against.

We have also happily refunded clients back to their payment gateways if they wish.

and if you don't go out of business by then.

I think you forget we have been around longer than most LET hosts.

rm_ said: Anyways, point is that even this small 25% discount is only usable a whole year away.

No its not.

On the other hand if the credit kickback was higher and enough to get the 4.50 plan instead of 2.50 one, they'd be happier right now, and as a bonus for you -- maybe renew at the higher rate when it expires, paying out of their own pocket.

You seem to be the only one that has a major issue with this. Everyone we have spoken to on the ticket desk seems more than happy.

@Yoda said:
    @i83 does this look correct? Looks a bit off to me...

Looks like WHMCS's standard partial refund template.

If anyone has any further concerns please open a ticket, LowEndTalk is not our support desk.

KuJoe said: Their Varna, Bulgaria location on the other hand has had only 2 minutes of downtime for IPv4 and 7 minutes for IPv6 so I'll definitely be using the credit towards this VPS and continue using it in the future.

Thanks for the feedback Joe, @rds100 does run a tight network.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@i83 which datacenter did you use ? We have 6+ years of experience in the Indian market, let me know if you need any help.

• i83i83 Member

@leapswitch said:
    @i83 which datacenter did you use ?

CYFuture, dropping you a sales ticket now although I believe we have already been in touch.

• singhighsinghigh Member
    edited June 2016

@leapswitch asks personal id scanned, i never afraid of sending those files but it takes trouble. so i migrant to ukraine but i almost no use. if you have cancelled the requirement, pls let me know.

• leapswitchleapswitch Patron Provider, Veteran

@singhigh said:
    @leapswitch asks personal id scanned, i never afraid of sending those files but it takes trouble. so i migrant to ukraine but i almost no use. if you have cancelled the requirement, pls let me know.

We still require this for our India location. This is due to KYC norms of Indian government.

• @leapswitch said:

@singhigh said:

We still require this for our India location. This is due to KYC norms of Indian government.

I understand.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

• dailydaily Member
    edited June 2016

Really (un)funny racist undertone off-topic GIF, my man.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@daily said:

Really (un)funny racist undertone off-topic GIF, my man.

Well that people associate KFC with Black People = Racist is your opinion, not mine,

I dont care if people are black or white.