Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting Politically Sensitive Material
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting Politically Sensitive Material

If I wanted to host an anonymous blog critical of a certain government, and wanted to avoid getting tracked down executed extra-judicially, any suggestions on a good place to host it? The nation-state in question is no surveillance giant (nothing as powerful and tentacly as the NSA or anything like that), but things can change, and best to be on the safe side from the start.

Thanked by 1tux

Comments

• GCatGCat Member
    edited June 2016

As long as it's not borderline terrorism/terrorism material, we can host you securely, anonymously. If you're interested, send an email to incoming [ @ ] privac [ dot ] pw or PM me here

• Buy bitcoins locally - pay for domain/host with them
    • Connect to your vps only over TOR (or even TOR + VPN but in your case, probably an overkill)
    • Never, ever visit your site from your direct connection.

The above steps will be enough.

• GCatGCat Member

@deadbeef said:

• Buy bitcoins locally - pay for domain/host with them
    • Connect to your vps only over TOR (or even TOR + VPN but in your case, probably an overkill)
    • Never, ever visit your site from your direct connection.

The above steps will be enough.

1. Bitcoins don't mean privacy

2. Sure Tor is great, but it's slower than ass. The best method is an unlinked VPN, and a bunch of fresh scanned proxies (socks) for initial setup, then create a hidden service and host a backend there, that's when you want tor.

3. Hidden Services are beautiful

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • jtkjtk Member

Here is some reasonable guidance from the EFF on how to blog "safely": https://www.eff.org/wp/blog-safely

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

Look I'll be honest with you. If they want to track you down. They will. Unless you are very pro person (more like the Anonymous Group) which I highly doubt you are (since you are asking us this question) then you would be able to save yourself.

What you can do here is use TOR to signup for services. Pay via Bitcoins. Signup at different hosts at different locations all over the world and host the same content (like a mirror). Once your website is taken down at your primary host immediately change the nameservers or point your domain to the secondary host. If this host suspends you, move to the third host and so on. Keep doing this and your website will stay online for ever ;)

• GCatGCat Member
    edited June 2016

BlaZe said: What you can do here is use TOR to signup for services. Pay via Bitcoins. Signup at different hosts at different locations all over the world and host the same content (like a mirror). Once your website is taken down at your primary host immediately change the nameservers or point your domain to the secondary host. If this host suspends you, move to the third host and so on. Keep doing this and your website will stay online for ever ;)

That still assures no safety, you'd have more safety with a fastflux botnet than you do with that.

• Use one vps as a reverse proxy to connect to the server actually hosting the website, pay for both with bitcoin.

It would be helpful to post which country you want to crap on, or PM me and I can offer further advice!

Some people have said you can host such political stuff in Russia, as long as it does not offend Russia.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Tell us which government does it criticize or at least the region?

I'd likely suggest the United States, specially if it's not an important ally.

• KobeKobe Member

@BlaZe said:
    Look I'll be honest with you. If they want to track you down. They will. Unless you are very pro person (more like the Anonymous Group) which I highly doubt you are (since you are asking us this question) then you would be able to save yourself.

What you can do here is use TOR to signup for services. Pay via Bitcoins. Signup at different hosts at different locations all over the world and host the same content (like a mirror). Once your website is taken down at your primary host immediately change the nameservers or point your domain to the secondary host. If this host suspends you, move to the third host and so on. Keep doing this and your website will stay online for ever ;)

I don't think Anonymous counts as a bastion of professionalism and competence. The group is filled with script kiddies that don't even bother taking the minimum necessary precautions to avoid being outed. People dox each other all the time.

• NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

linuxthefish said: Some people have said you can host such political stuff in Russia, as long as it does not offend Russia.

Or any CIS country, or China, etc...

Russia is generally not a good option, given the widespread corruption.

But it's difficult to tell without knowing more details about the content, yeah.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Kobe said:
    I don't think Anonymous counts as a bastion of professionalism and competence. The group is filled with script kiddies that don't even bother taking the minimum necessary precautions to avoid being outed. People dox each other all the time.

There's a group called anonymous?

• fitvpnfitvpn Member

Nyr said: Tell us which government does it criticize or at least the region?

No need to be genius to predict it :) Legit political material no need to be hosted offshore

• @GCat said:

They do for his use case (i.e. considering the adversary) if he buys locally in a careful way.

1. Sure Tor is great, but it's slower than ass.

For his use case (upload/download info) it's going to be fine. If he wants to be uploading tons of videos though, I agree.

1. Hidden Services are beautiful

I assume he want a site on clearnet, not a tor hs.

• emre22emre22 Member

it all depends on who you are criticizing

• GCatGCat Member

@deadbeef said:

@GCat said:

They do for his use case (i.e. considering the adversary) if he buys locally in a careful way.

1. Sure Tor is great, but it's slower than ass.

For his use case (upload/download info) it's going to be fine. If he wants to be uploading tons of videos though, I agree.

1. Hidden Services are beautiful

I assume he want a site on clearnet, not a tor hs.

Bitcoins are never an assurance of privacy, if you can do a bit of work you can trace the origin, and if you have for example a video of the person or conversation of the suspect buying them in person or logs online to buy them, you can link them to a person. Then why you use tor as a backend is because it's more private, for these needs, if you need upload/download a lot, do it over tor, sacrifice some time, and accept a bit more reasonable privacy for the origin. Then you can have the website visible to the public, but the backend only seen from the hs.

Thanked by 1linuxthefish
  • @GCat said:
    Bitcoins are never an assurance of privacy, if you can do a bit of work you can trace the origin, and if you have for example a video of the person or conversation of the suspect buying them in person or logs online to buy them

While I agree that bitcoins are not designed for anonymity, it's all about the threat level.

Buying from a stranger locally in public, should be enough for the OP's case. His adversary would have to match him and the receiver of the payment, who most probably is offshore to the OP. Considering his adversary is (as he claims) not the best one, I can't see how he is in danger. OP could even use a btc laundry service to further obscure his tracks, but I don't think it's necessary. I would love to hear if I'm missing something here though.

• GCatGCat Member

@deadbeef said:

@GCat said:
    Bitcoins are never an assurance of privacy, if you can do a bit of work you can trace the origin, and if you have for example a video of the person or conversation of the suspect buying them in person or logs online to buy them

While I agree that bitcoins are not designed for anonymity, it's all about the threat level.

Buying from a stranger locally in public, should be enough for the OP's case. His adversary would have to match him and the receiver of the payment, who most probably is offshore to the OP. Considering his adversary is (as he claims) not the best one, I can't see how he is in danger. OP could even use a btc laundry service to further obscure his tracks, but I don't think it's necessary. I would love to hear if I'm missing something here though.

I think it's fair to say posting anti-govt/counter-govt material you'd have an adversary of a government agency, which has defo. more resources, manpower, time, budget, etc. to track you.

Host with a US based company that has values and strong security. If there's one way to make a US based company tell someone to piss off, it's for a foreign nation to contact them asking for information about a customer speaking out against their politics. Freedom of speech is a very deep rooted part of our culture. As is a disrespect for other countries that disagree.

Thanked by 3GCat netomx Pwner
  • jarland said: Freedom of speech is a very deep rooted part of our culture.

lol, it is unless you are telling the crimes/corruption of officials, then you will disappear.

@OP A russian offshore dedicated server might be enough, you can get it on hacking forums or underground web but it will cost

edited June 2016

@Arjon said:
    lol, it is unless you are telling the crimes/corruption of officials, then you will disappear.

This isn't /r/conspiracy, and you're not even from here.

• Arjon said: lol, it is unless you are telling the crimes/corruption of officials, then you will disappear.

As long as we're just making shit up, the sky is red and water is yellow.

Arjon said A russian offshore dedicated server might be enough

You're seriously suggesting Russia of all places for something that requires privacy?

Thanked by 5jar GCat Pwner Dylan lazyt
  • jarland said: Freedom of speech

Yet, words like 'fuck' and 'shit' are beeped out on most broadcasts.

Nothing personal; just highlighting the hypocrisy of some of the US laws.

Thanked by 3GCat coreflux tux
  • dailydaily Member

@mpkossen said:

jarland said: Freedom of speech

You really think censoring swear words is breaking your free speech? That is delusional. It's because children are near those things.

edited June 2016

@mpkossen said:

Fortunately he didn't say his mission was to yell "fuck" repeatedly over FM radio.

Has no relevance to the cultural strength of free speech, especially relating to foreign politics.

• @daily said:

@mpkossen said:

You really think censoring swear words is breaking your free speech? That is delusional. It's because children are near those things.

I do. Especially because of the way it is handled, namely beeping those words. It draws even more attention to them than is necessary. And that just happens on TV. In real life everyone can hear these words and they are used often. So I can't think of any reason why the beeps would be any good.

And the funny thing is that kids know damn well what is being said.

Well I guess this went off topic.

Thanked by 2mpkossen GCat
  • GCat said: Bitcoins don't mean privacy

Bitcoins, if bought in person outside of CCTV, certainly mean privacy. It's almost cash, does not get more private than that.

GCat said: Sure Tor is great, but it's slower than ass. The best method is an unlinked VPN, and a bunch of fresh scanned proxies (socks) for initial setup, then create a hidden service and host a backend there, that's when you want tor.

You get this myth from where? I pull 10Mbit+ via Tor on external (so via exit) and internal (so via relays) at most times, if slow just generate a new circuit.

Here is a circuit AT->US->AU(!!)->DE->AT doing 6Mbit+ from a server in NL:

https://i.imgur.com/jELKKF9.png

BlaZe said: Unless you are very pro person (more like the Anonymous Group)

Most of them are just script kiddies without any idea. They regularly get arrested all over the world.

GCat said: That still assures no safety, you'd have more safety with a fastflux botnet than you do with that.

FF does not provide untraceable connections and this is not the design idea either, it switches hosts as fast as possible to spread out load and replace dead servers. The IPs still go to endpoints with external access.

FF is also dead, as you still need a DNS server with central IPs - Double Fastflux (both DNS and endpoints on hacked systems) is the only current usage of anyone and since SU and CN crack down on domains the usage is nearly dead entirely for anything public facing. Tor is the new thing for trojan communication (not new but back some years ago the public/western crap did not use it + setup of hidden service was more complicated).

Thanked by 2vimalware deadbeef
  • lbftlbft Member

If it's material that is legal in the US, then you could consider https://www.nearlyfreespeech.net/.

• MicrolinuxMicrolinux Member
    edited June 2016

@mpkossen said:

Specifically under what section of those laws does this hypocrisy arise?

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR
    edited June 2016

jarland said: Host with a US based company

What about if a certain 4 letter UK based organisation was in contact?