Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Japan, Ablenet.jp ~$5.83/mo(yearly) for 512MB KVM / 50 GB disk / 200 Mbps unmetered shared
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Japan, Ablenet.jp ~$5.83/mo(yearly) for 512MB KVM / 50 GB disk / 200 Mbps unmetered shared

rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
edited December 2012 in Providers

http://www.ablenet.jp/vps/service/plan_fee.html
Can also pay per month and semi-annually, but that way it's more expensive.
There's a setup fee on most plans.
Anyone uses them?

Comments

• gameongameon Member
    edited December 2012

1.5 GB one doesn't seem to have setup price, and at $11/mo ,that's probably the lowest pricing i've seen in the region. Still its gonna be a pain dealing with non-English speaking support (if ever need arise) .

• fanfan Veteran

Payment is also a problem IMO.

• @gameon said: its gonna be a pain dealing with non-English speaking support

@fan said: Payment is also a problem

agree

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2012

What's the problem with payment? Their (translated) FAQ mentions you can pay by credit card.

This on the other hand is more fun:

If you wish to cancel the VPS service, no later than the last day last Mon of the month you wish to cancel the "Notice of cancellation VPS" at Please send by mail or FAX. (. Please note we do not accept cancellation requests by e-mail)

Though it seems you can simply stop paying:

Are there any compulsory cancellation fee in the case of non-payment?

There. If the unpaid charges, we will stop the server after the contract expiration date. Also, if the arrears had continued thereafter, and please note forcibly canceled contract, so we will abolish the server.

But better give them a debit card that doesn't have a lot of money (or a virtual card), to prevent any auto-charging in this case.

• @fan said: Payment is also a problem IMO.

That's the biggest feature!

• @rm_ said: you can pay by credit card.

Japan CC only i guess, most Japanese providers doing so.

• @DannyAlex said: Japan CC

err how do they have Localised CC ? i mean Visa/Mastercard are global right

• bobbybobby Member
    edited December 2012

Gonna ask a friend who speaks japanese to help me tomorrow. Thanks for the tip, I'll let you know what they say.

• I've been using Ablenet for around a year now without any major problems. They had some downtime during the summer, but they sent email notifications (in Japanese) well in advance.

I'm pretty sure they offered a free trial (have to give card details) during which you could cancel the VPS using the management panel.

@DannyAlex said: Japan CC only i guess, most Japanese providers doing so.

International cards work with Ablenet. They're also one of the only Japanese VPS providers that don't require a Japanese address.

@gameon said: err how do they have Localised CC ? i mean Visa/Mastercard are global right

A bunch of Japanese sites only accept cards issued in Japan.

Benchmark from my Ablenet VPS (v0 plan)

CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.1.0 Number of cores : 1 CPU frequency : 2000.000 MHz Total amount of ram : 502 MB Total amount of swap : 0 MB System uptime : 124 days, 18:19, Download speed from CacheFly: 8.51MB/s Download speed from Linode, Atlanta GA: 1.47MB/s Download speed from Linode, Dallas, TX: 2.85MB/s Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 9.86MB/s Download speed from Linode, London, UK: 1.64MB/s Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 2.88MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 5.64MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 5.10MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 5.77MB/s Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 3.60MB/s I/O speed : 53.1 MB/s

• gubbytegubbyte Member
    edited December 2012

What good is a Japanese VPS with Japanese support if you don't speak Japanese? Is this how low weeaboos go?

• @gubbyte said: What good is a Japanese VPS with Japanese support if you don't speak Japanese?

Use as part of a ghetto CDN & hope for the best: re any issues?

• They reply in English, and you sound oh so mad.

Limited support though, 簡単に言うと、日本語は一番

• @ihatetonyy said: ghetto CDN

Nice hehe

• @bobby said: Nice hehe

Lord knows that's what I'm going to use it for..

• Payment and support is an issue I see here.

edited May 2013

Soooooo, has anyone successfully ordered from these guys&girls?
    I wanted to order today, but their system rejected both of the cards I tried, debit MasterCard and Virtual VISA (issued in Russia). Always get a one-line error message, something along the lines of "sorry we can't into your credit card, recheck the number and expiration date" in Japanese.
    I wonder if cards from .ru are banned by them altogether due to high fraud or something.

• imperioimperio Member

Actually i have managed to order one with the help of google translate.As far as i remember I have used a real mastercard cc.

• StarryStarry Member, Host Rep

I think vps.sakura.ad.jp is better but harder to buy.

• cynixcynix Member

Just ordered a V1 with an Australian MasterCard. No problems during signup and the VPS was ready in under 2 minutes. The great thing about their custom control panel is that it tunnels VNC through SSH — something sorely lacking in SolusVM.

• dreamer2908dreamer2908 Member
    edited May 2013

@Wintereise said: 簡単に言うと、日本語は一番

なのです。

@cynix said: No problems during signup and the VPS was ready in under 2 minutes.

Mkay, your success encouraged me to not give up! :D
    Tried with yet another card, and this one worked successfully. However no VPS yet after about 40 minutes, all I got were 2 E-Mails, one with my order details, and the other saying that "a lot of people sign up now" and "please wait until the next business day".
    Perhaps they approve orders manually, and since it's already late night in Japan, it won't be set up today.

• cynixcynix Member

@rm_ Hope you don't actually have to wait until "the next business day", because that would be next Tuesday. It's Golden Week in Japan now. Good luck!

Also I couldn't find where to change the reverse DNS record of my IP address. Let me know if you find it.

@cynix said: Also I couldn't find where to change the reverse DNS record of my IP address. Let me know if you find it.

I think I saw somewhere in their FAQ that it's done only via a ticket.

• cynixcynix Member

@rm_ said: I think I saw somewhere in their FAQ that it's done only via a ticket.

Ahh you're right. I'll fire off a ticket then. Thanks.

edited May 2013

@cynix said: Hope you don't actually have to wait until "the next business day", because that would be next Tuesday. It's Golden Week in Japan now. Good luck!

This was indeed the case :) Only now I got a reply from them. They asked for my drivers license or other ID, and a scan of the credit card's front and back. Dunno if that's because I am from Russia ("high risk"?) or maybe because I forgot to disable my German VPN/proxy while ordering, so there was a mismatch between the IP and other details. Sent both, and it was provisioned quickly afterwards.

• samjksamjk Member

Well if Japan then south Korea is OK too from connectivity point of view but price it depends

edited October 2013

Ablenet have "Englificated" their panel a bit; without doing a full-blown language selection, just added English labels to everything: http://s.lowendshare.com/9/1381139607.470.2013-10-07T095157Z-ablenet.png
    looks subtle, understated and very cute, reminds how on road signs in a foreign country you would see some native language labels duplicated in English in small print below.
    Also shows they do actually care about their foreign clients :3

• The Sakura VPS is rather good in Japan, but most VPS providers in Japan seems unlikely to deal with foreigners...

• there's setup fee of 9.8 dorrars =-(

• they are great! I have just signed one month for the 1,5Gb RAM /100 Gb disk.
    I used a virtual CC (with Entropay) in case there's problem with cancellation.
    Setup was instant, I got mailed the server's details right after the payment was done.
    The control panel has the minimum english needed and is very easy to use. Many install iso are available.