Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rage4 DNS Counts Inflated Queries - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Rage4 DNS Counts Inflated Queries

Comments

• BunnySpeedBunnySpeed Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

I think this concludes the story lol :D

Thanked by 2netomx Nyr
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

Was pretty much expected that nothing happens.

• tommytommy Member

BunnySpeed said: I think this concludes the story lol :D

Have fun :D

Thanked by 1netomx
  • mik997mik997 Member

lemme guess .. your Rage4 account got disabled ;P

which provider are you using for geo DNS now out of curiosity?

edited May 2016

@mik997 said:
    lemme guess .. your Rage4 account got disabled ;P

which provider are you using for geo DNS now out of curiosity?

It was, I think. The API suddenly stopped working and I can't log in anymore... Fun. Thankfully nothing was running on it anymore so it doesn't really matter.

For personal stuff I use Amazon Route 53 just because it's pay as you go and my stuff is already there, otherwise I'd go with DNS Made Easy. I might switch there in the future actually. For the CDN we're using a custom solution now.

Thanked by 1mik997
  • ZappieZappie Member, Host Rep, LIR

mik997 said: which provider are you using for geo DNS now out of curiosity?

I would highly recommend a self hosted solution with gDNSd. It can pretty much do the same (and more actually) in terms of failover, geodns and loadbalancing as what rage4 can do.

Downside is you will have to maintain it yourself on your servers (which I assume wont be on an anycast network)

Thanked by 2mik997 geekalot
    edited May 2016

@Zappie said:

mik997 said: which provider are you using for geo DNS now out of curiosity?

I would highly recommend a self hosted solution with gDNSd. It can pretty much do the same (and more actually) in terms of failover, geodns and loadbalancing as what rage4 can do.

Downside is you will have to maintain it yourself on your servers (which I assume wont be on an anycast network)

We're currently running 6 VMs on BuyVM, 3x OpenVZ and 3x KVM. It's not ideal but not that bad actually. I did some tests a few days ago and strangely it seems faster than CDN77 DNS o_O. But we're looking to upgrade to add Singapore in the near future.

We also run custom software that allows great smart balancing / routing :)

• ButtersButters Member

Rule #1

Never use any service where william is involved like Rage4, Airvpn or ...

Thanked by 1boernd
  • These guys have know about the issue since day one.
    The time to have corrected it would have been early on.

If they admit to an error in the calculations at this point in time, they would have to reimburse all their clients.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member
    edited May 2016

What was that newcomer-alternative that was mentioned somewhere which is free right now?

Nevermind, already found: https://zilore.com/en

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • vldvld Member

@Butters said:
    Rule #1

Never use any service where william is involved like Rage4, Airvpn or ...

Ugh, what?

• filefile Member

Is anyone actively using Zilore who can comment on them and their service?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@file said:
    Is anyone actively using Zilore who can comment on them and their service?

I created an account today, but the lowest TTLs you can set are 60 seconds, that's too much for my failover stuff.

Also seems like they do not support CNAME failover or wildcard failover, so I'm out.

• gbshousegbshouse Member, Host Rep

@BunnySpeed Hmmm what's not working?

@Butters William is not involved in Rage4, just minor shareholder

• He is unable to login

@tr1cky - we are waiting for final audit results but as far as I know everything is ok.

From the news - we plan to move from pay-as-you-go to flat fee only packages, also we will no longer offer free accounts.

• @BunnySpeed said:
    I think this concludes the story lol :D

Tried resetting the password ? or username not valid even ?

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

gbshouse said: also we will no longer offer free accounts.

You mean prometeus accounts?

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@gbshouse said:
    @tr1cky - we are waiting for final audit results but as far as I know everything is ok.

From the news - we plan to move from pay-as-you-go to flat fee only packages, also we will no longer offer free accounts.

...... So you will also remove the Prometheus Acccount offer?

• The MICRO plan offers 500k q/m for $0/m.
    Hope that's the Free plan alluded to.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

Anyways, will probably switch to Route 53 if they cancel the prometeus account. Will probably cost me less than 1$/m while I'd pay 10x the amount at rage4.

We plan to offer non-free-but-cheap yearly accounts (~ 12€/y) instead. Other packages will be far from LET pricing. We are switching to our own DNS server software soon and plan to add new functionality.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

@gbshouse said:
    We plan to offer non-free-but-cheap yearly accounts (~ 12€/y) instead. Other packages will be far from LET pricing. We are switching to our own DNS server software soon and plan to add new functionality.

Also affecting these Sponsored Accounts aka "Free" ?

@Neoon - nope, if we sponsor you nothing will change. We will probably create special offer for open source and NGO

• dailydaily Member

So let me just ask @gbshouse.. You have not disabled or restricted access to @BunnySpeed's account, correct?

@dailymc correct

edited May 2016

@dailymc said:
    So let me just ask @gbshouse.. You have not disabled or restricted access to @BunnySpeed's account, correct?

@gbshouse @dailymc
    My bad, sorry. What happened was the password stopped working + the API stopped working returning errors all of a sudden without me changing anything so I assumed... things... Feels awkward, sorry! :/

Thanked by 1netomx
  • tr1ckytr1cky Member

@gbshouse said:
    @Neoon - nope, if we sponsor you nothing will change. We will probably create special offer for open source and NGO

Just to make this extra-clear: Will such an account stay free?

@tr1cky - on this stage cannot confirm nor deny