Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Tutorial][Virtkick] Windows install on Virtkick
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

[Tutorial][Virtkick] Windows install on Virtkick

pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

Hello, this is a quick tutorial on how I installed windows on a Virtkick based platform.

1. You will need to upload both your Windows.iso and virtio.iso to a webserver so Virtkick can access them.

2. In the Virtkick admin panel, select "Distributions" on the left hand menu.

3. Add a new OS and give it a name, I used "Windows"

4. Add a version and give it a useful name, I used "Server 2012 R2 64Bit"

5. Provide the URL of the ISO you uploaded, and a lowercase checksum of that ISO (Checksum tools can be found in google)

6. Repeat steps 3-5 with the Virtio ISO

7. Create a new VM and select the Windows OS you created in setp 3-4 (You may need to Shift+F5 to refresh available distributions)

8. Go through the windows install until you get to the step to choose a disk (There will be nothing to choose anyway)

9. In the Distribution dropdown, located bottom left of the console window, choose the VirtIO Distribution you added earlier.

10. Choose "Load Driver" from the Windows Setup, and brows to the Virtio CDROM. This disk contains a bunch of folders, you will need to navigate to \viostor\2k12r2\amd64 and click ok.

11. It will find a driver and allow you to click next, at this point a green progress bar will appear, and you need to change the Distribution back to the windows ISO.

12. The disk should appear within a few minutes, any more then 5 and you'll have to start again.

13. Complete the install.

14. Ctrl+alt+del wont pass through for me so i cant access the login, but I'm sure its fine :)

Comments

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

People use Virtkick?

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep

@EVM_Mike said:
    People use Virtkick?

It's not that bad of a system, once they fix some of the little bugs and add features to make things better. Its the perfect summer host panel XD

• pbgbenpbgben Member, Host Rep
    edited May 2016

Looks like the Ctrl+Alt+Del is due for next release.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

@pbgben said:

@EVM_Mike said:
    People use Virtkick?

It's not that bad of a system, once they fix some of the little bugs and add features to make things better. Its the perfect summer host panel XD

>

Yeah, but are they still taking 15% of profit? If so it'll still be more expensive than most commercial KVM/OVZ/Xen panels out there.

• RIYADRIYAD Member, Patron Provider

@EVM_Mike , they are offering flat fees though or 15% rev share . You can chose either one of them

Thanked by 1pbgben
  • cassacassa Member

@RIYAD said:
    @EVM_Mike , they are offering flat fees though or 15% rev share . You can chose either one of them

The last sentence isn't true:

$19/month
    Or 15% of revenue
    (whichever is greater)

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

EVM_Mike said: People use Virtkick?

That was exactly what I thought and the only reason I clicked on this thread haha.

• wozmirwozmir Member

Virtkick is $19/$49 or 15% of revenue, whichever is greater, with unlimited servers and payment gateway fees covered by us. We've also got a special no-rev share promo, with per-HV pricing and you handling the gateway fees - PM me if you're interested :)

• NowakerNowaker Member

Hey @pbgben, thanks for this tutorial. We can actually turn off virtio to make the whole process way easier. We'll add an on/off checkbox for virtio for each image in two weeks from now.

Thanked by 1wozmir
  • jimaekjimaek Member
    edited May 2016

"$19/$49 or 15% of revenue, whichever is greater"

So basically always 15% of revenue. Assuming that everybody will be able to have income above $50/month (which I think they will)

• teamaccteamacc Member

@jimaek said:
    "$19/$49 or 15% of revenue, whichever is greater"

So basically always 15% of revenue. Assuming that everybody will be able to have income above $50/month (which I think they will)

Your math is off. Everyone with an income above 49/0.15=327 dollars will be paying 15%, all below that pay 49. For the 19 dollar mark its 127 dollars.

• jimaekjimaek Member

I didnt do any math for it to be off. I said that that pricing is pointless because everybody will be paying 19% of their income since everybody will be able to get a $50/month income.
    It would be much easier to just say "19% from your income" instead of adding plans and stuff that wont do anything to anyone.

• wozmirwozmir Member

The income grows when you grow, no price hikes. As @teamacc mentioned, once you hit 327 in the Frigate ($49) plan, you start to pay 15%. Which, at that point, starts at $49.50.

@jimaek we've also got a May-only per-HV promo with no revenue share.