Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ITT: Delimiter pisses off /r/Sysadmin - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ITT: Delimiter pisses off /r/Sysadmin

13»

Comments

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

@mtwiscool said:

@hawc said:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say ColoCrossing and Online are better than Delimiter

I would say OVH or Online.net for high uptime,

If you want Delimiter uptime then use cloudatcost (thinking about that it might making cloudatcost look worse than it really is).

I think you're jumping the gun slightly here, be fair.

Thanked by 1DeletedUser
  • @Clouvider said:

@mtwiscool said:

@hawc said:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say ColoCrossing and Online are better than Delimiter

I would say OVH or Online.net for high uptime,

If you want Delimiter uptime then use cloudatcost (thinking about that it might making cloudatcost look worse than it really is).

I think you're jumping the gun slightly here, be fair.

50/50

I do take advantage of drama as it is fun but with a provider who is unprofessional and has no back up plans if anything goes wrong.

• @hawc said:

No matter what people say, ColoCrossing is one of the best for stability and support imo, from my experience. Cant speak for delimiter though, as i never was a customer, and will never signup with them.

• sinsin Member

@black said:

sin said: Wow look at those downvotes on the Delimiter rep -436 points and over 1100 comments in that thread now

The reddit mob is scary.

Yeah it's nuts! I didn't expect it to get that big.

• zafouharzafouhar Veteran

@sin said:

@black said:

sin said: Wow look at those downvotes on the Delimiter rep -436 points and over 1100 comments in that thread now

The reddit mob is scary.

Yeah it's nuts! I didn't expect it to get that big.

The reddit mob is more scary than the LET mob lol.

Thanked by 1sin
  • MattKCMattKC Member

@dragon2611 said:

@rdes said:
    If service is cheap, and Delimiter admits that they have so many customers, that they can't even put drive into slot hosting within a week I don't understand why refund is such big problem. They can refund and pass this server to another customer moment later..

200k of PPS is a lot, but on the other side, OVH for example will not even notice this traffic even on cheap Kimsufi ;).

Am I the Only one who considers 200K PPS to be high but not necessarily abusive if they are small packets (which voip/gaming would likely be).

Sorry but if your carrier routers can't handle that you need to stop using such ancient or underspecced kit.

Considering they claimed to be unaware their entire setup was powered through a decades old fuse (that caused the three day outage), and then couldn't power back up quickly as their hvac could not handle more than a rack or two at a time being turned on....doesn't surprise me in the least that thier routers can't handle something like this. Nor does their attitude elicit surprise. They are quick to attack their competitors posting refugee offers or slamming equipment based on the fact THEY THEMSELVES couldn't get it to work, and quick to blame customers for every problem (like in the thread that got Mark a temporary vacation). Pop tarts saved them in certain peoples eyes after the colossal outage, but people are finally realizing the true nature and attitude of delimeter (and subsequently the parent company....not too long ago Mark was constantly distancing himself from the delimeter brand). Delimeter already had a bad reputation in several communities prior to all this. Goes to show how easily people are swayed soley on price, not quality these days.

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited May 2016

I'm guessing most of the people on that forum have never had an IP nulled from a DDoS attack, or know how hard it is for small dedi providers with a low capacity and budget network to mitigate attacks without upstream help.

It looks like a case of bad luck for the customer, and the delimiter rep choose the wrong guy to piss off. I don't think the customer actually knew what he was paying for, or was with a provider such as OVH (or OVH reseller/VPS) where he wouldn't notice such attacks in the past...

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@linuxthefish said:
    I'm guessing most of the people on that forum have never had an IP nulled from a DDoS attack, or know how hard it is for small dedi providers with a low capacity and budget network to mitigate attacks without upstream help.

While Delimiter is not OVH, they proudly state they own their own DC so I don't think they qualify as a "small dedi provider".

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran
    edited May 2016

mtwiscool said: 198K PPS legitimate traffic (Proxy website

Idk but that is weird in my book

Thanked by 1Kris
  • iNapiNap Member

Yeah, the problem is iirc, the IPs delimiter provided were carrier grade NAT for a residential ISP
    . It was literally 2 IP addresses.

Calling this a DDoS is hilarious.

• @iNap said:
    Yeah, the problem is iirc, the IPs delimiter provided were carrier grade NAT for a residential ISP
    . It was literally 2 IP addresses.

I'll start by saying I know very little about network related stuff, so perhaps I'm reading this incorrectly but delimiter mentioned they provided 2 'flows' among 20-30 others. Would that not mean that there is actually 20-30 sources for the flood, not just two?

The individual was provided the following two flows, among 20-30 others that had caused the null routing:

• @netomx said:

mtwiscool said: 198K PPS legitimate traffic (Proxy website

Idk but that is weird in my book

Basically a surge of people come on at once.

• wwabbitwwabbit Member

iNap said: Yeah, the problem is iirc, the IPs delimiter provided were carrier grade NAT for a residential ISP . It was literally 2 IP addresses.

Delimiter didn't call it a DDoS, they called it a 'flood attack'.
    http://pastebin.com/jBaYPxRq

• edanedan Member

Only for $20 boxes and he create such drama???? LOL. if this is for $2k than its worth to do such things.

Thanked by 2netomx loyd
  • linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited May 2016

raindog308 said: While Delimiter is not OVH, they proudly state they own their own DC so I don't think they qualify as a "small dedi provider".

More like renting space/racks in existing building, "55 Marietta Street, Suite 1720" i think.

http://bgp.he.net/AS7363

Thanked by 1netomx
  • iNapiNap Member

@wwabbit said:

iNap said: Yeah, the problem is iirc, the IPs delimiter provided were carrier grade NAT for a residential ISP . It was literally 2 IP addresses.

Delimiter didn't call it a DDoS, they called it a 'flood attack'.
    http://pastebin.com/jBaYPxRq

I was responding to the idea that called it a DDoS:

linuxthefish said: I'm guessing most of the people on that forum have never had an IP nulled from a DDoS attack, or know how hard it is for small dedi providers with a low capacity and budget network to mitigate attacks without upstream help.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

So 1 ISP produces 200,000 pps to a server? What's the average pps per user?

Even if that IP was a residential NAT IP, I doubt all the users would use the same ISP.

There probably was someone sending a flood through his home connection to the server.

Thanked by 3Lee jar lazyt
  • YmpkerYmpker Member
    edited May 2016

Reddit be like

@linuxthefish said:

It looks like a case of bad luck for the customer, and the delimiter rep choose the wrong guy to piss off. I don't think the customer actually knew what he was paying for, or was with a provider such as OVH (or OVH reseller/VPS) where he wouldn't notice such attacks in the past...

You do certainly have a point there, however one can't expect the customer to worry about these things. Since when do you have to "agree I am fully aware of my hosts financial situation and how the server I am going to rent will affect the hosting companies performance. Furthermore I am a certified sysadmin and experienced in the occurance of DDoS attacks.." ? While people who are coming from LET or WHT might atleast have a thought about all this when choosing a budget for their server in accordance with the respective provider, one certainly can't expect the average consumer to do so. There is waaaay too many people who don't. In such situations communication between the host and customer is crucial and it should be the host trying to help the customer findint a solution to get their service back up and running or issue a prorated refund.

Thanked by 4K4Y5 ricardo Lee Pwner
  • You can't expect much more from such a cheap host, that network/company is probably so saturated i'm sure they lose their temper rather quickly with the amounts of people they have to deal with (most of which who are probably kids with parents credit cards hosting their minecraft server) don't get me wrong pissing off sysadmin is not that hard but snapping at customers whilst remaining calm is a skill that is very difficult to master.

• dailydaily Member

@TropiHost said:

I never understood this mentality. If you can't handle the load, why accept orders?

• TropiHostTropiHost Member
    edited May 2016

People are too greedy for their own good, at that volume its not hard to scale accordingly i dont get it. EDIT: Still working out how to use quote so bare with me xD

@dailymc said:

@TropiHost said:

I never understood this mentality. If you can't handle the load, why accept orders?

• edited May 2016

@TropiHost

You had to be new to this forum to defend these guys.

Search for Delimiter posts so you can get a better idea of how they operate.

Thanked by 1theroyalstudent
  • I have no idea about this

• @onecloudyNET said:
    I have no idea about this

What is up with the ridiculous, nonsensical posts.

• @globalRegisters said:

I think we all know and it has very little to do with the content of the thread

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@globalRegisters said:

The best part about having a quota for making offers.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

200k pps is not light for a cheap server. When you sell those you know that 100k might clog the NIC to some point, going at 200 is probably breaking most cheap nics out there. As such, you calculate your routers and switches to cope to an average, say, of 10k pps per server, say 50k at most.
    I am considering abuse something over 40k, enough to raise a flag and to investigate. Recommendation for our customers is to keep below 10k. This makes easier to identify "snowshoe" ddosers, and misconfigured DNS/NTP/TS etc servers out there. What goes over is investigated, if the customer is consistently over 40k, even if legit, we ask to change provider, it is not for a regular VPS to run such services (most are oscam and the like which are infringing anyway).

Thanked by 1Junkless