Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ITT: Delimiter pisses off /r/Sysadmin - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

ITT: Delimiter pisses off /r/Sysadmin

Comments

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member

jarland said: problem solving instead of moving on.

/r/sysadmin is full of windows users, problem solving is calling the fastest vendor then move on

• lazytlazyt Member

What server was the OP using I wonder.

Also ran across this while scanning the comments.

"we actually moved to delimiter cause we were routinely dosing ourselves just from normal use (try piling 700 people into a murmur server and having every last one of those idiots trying to talk at once. it doesn't work well), so i completely understand the first, second, and even maybe third time things went down hard. the seventh?"

Thanked by 1netomx
  • dailydaily Member

@raindog308 said:

I think it is implied that it was his guild mates, not him.

Thanked by 2raindog308 Dylan
  • ricardoricardo Member
    edited May 2016

Car crash stuff. They should have refunded, honest customer mistake I'd think. Seems Delimiter have had to deal with too many LowEndBawBags and now use the shitty stick to deal with everyone :)

The PPS issue is more the forte of you guys who have posted. From an agreement POV, I'd expect some kind of stated or at least hinted at limitation based on their ability to route that many packets.

I've never bought a "dedicated but you can't do XYZ server", for anything legal and within the ToS.

Added Summary:

Delimiter, good value hardware and terrible customer service. works fine if you don't need (or cross paths with) a Delimiter meatbot.

Customer: Needs to spend 5x-10x(?) more to get what they need. Needs to drop the 'me and my army' kid act, lock themselves in a cupboard for 10 years with a bunch of networking manuals.... or just pay more.

Thanked by 2zafouhar Junkless
  • wwabbitwwabbit Member

I saw a mention of $20/month paid up for 3 months, so it's the dual E5420s

• blackblack Member

In the service industry:

20% of the lowest paying customers cause 80% of issues 

It's especially true for LE market.

Looking at the thread and reading the response from delimiter, it really doesn't seem that bad. People just like to complain about things, for example: having to cancel before the 20th or online will bill you for another month.

• MikePTMikePT Moderator, Patron Provider, Veteran
    edited May 2016

Granted that Delimiter replies werent proper but they didnt deserve all this flame wars and threats.
    Note that I used to argue against them, even got banned for too much derailing but nowadays I am a client with a xxxUSD server with them. I admit their hardware and network is great but they do have a lot to improve. I see many people here flaming them, most used to protect them no matter what. Funny how people change their minds. I have too, had my reasons to and decided to give them a try. Its just sad to see such people following each other's tendencies, just like monkeys.

Thanked by 2david_W netomx
  • I remember a time when I didn't understand high pps vs regular traffic.

That said, empathy is a powerful customer service tool when catering to low-end.
    Not everyone knows their brand new marbles can break, if one smashes them together hard enough.

Thanked by 2jar srvrpro
  • rdesrdes Member
    edited May 2016

If service is cheap, and Delimiter admits that they have so many customers, that they can't even put drive into slot hosting within a week I don't understand why refund is such big problem. They can refund and pass this server to another customer moment later..

200k of PPS is a lot, but on the other side, OVH for example will not even notice this traffic even on cheap Kimsufi ;).

• Delimiter can be a bit iffy with their handling of network "issues" but in this case the customer is just retarded and got what he asked for.

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • MunMun Member

The real question is why a bunch of nerds thought it would be a good idea to put that much usage on a small dedi...

Thanked by 2vimalware netomx
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Mun said: The real question is why a bunch of nerds thought it would be a good idea to put that much usage on a small dedi...

...but they weren't complaining about performance, were they?

• EobbleEobble Member

I ran into a similar issue with Delimiter a few months ago. I had a OpenVPN server, I believe 1 or 2 users on at that point and the server was nullrouted due to a "DDOS" attack (which was BS). I wasn't able to troubleshoot it with their support and ended up moving to a different host in Atlanta and reprovisioning the server for something else.

Delimiter is alright but their policies and post sales support is meh.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • dragon2611dragon2611 Member
    edited May 2016

@rdes said:
    If service is cheap, and Delimiter admits that they have so many customers, that they can't even put drive into slot hosting within a week I don't understand why refund is such big problem. They can refund and pass this server to another customer moment later..

200k of PPS is a lot, but on the other side, OVH for example will not even notice this traffic even on cheap Kimsufi ;).

Am I the Only one who considers 200K PPS to be high but not necessarily abusive if they are small packets (which voip/gaming would likely be).

Sorry but if your carrier routers can't handle that you need to stop using such ancient or underspecced kit.

• MunMun Member

@raindog308 said:

Mun said: The real question is why a bunch of nerds thought it would be a good idea to put that much usage on a small dedi...

...but they weren't complaining about performance, were they?

Network performance!

• bohdansbohdans Member

If you read through, it seems that support mentioned there where 2 IP's causing the high load.
    The 100's of little connections didn't seem to be the issue.

• @Eobble said:
    I ran into a similar issue with Delimiter a few months ago. I had a OpenVPN server, I believe 1 or 2 users on at that point and the server was nullrouted due to a "DDOS" attack (which was BS). I wasn't able to troubleshoot it with their support and ended up moving to a different host in Atlanta and reprovisioning the server for something else.

Delimiter is alright but their policies and post sales support is meh.

This happened to me too. I ended up switching the OpenVPN to TCP and then eventually moved elsewhere. They really don't like UDP traffic.

• sinsin Member
    edited May 2016

Wow look at those downvotes on the Delimiter rep -436 points and over 1100 comments in that thread now

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

From popcorn and poptarts to HVAC engineering and reddit wars, Delimiter is having quite the year.

• blackblack Member

sin said: Wow look at those downvotes on the Delimiter rep -436 points and over 1100 comments in that thread now

The reddit mob is scary.

Thanked by 3zafouhar sin doghouch
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member
    edited May 2016

@black said:

sin said: Wow look at those downvotes on the Delimiter rep -436 points and over 1100 comments in that thread now

The reddit mob is scary.

Sounds like a bunch of juvenile angry video game nerds with the collective experience and patience of a 12 y/o preteen used to getting things done his/her way, else he/she throws a hissy fit.

OTOH, Delimiter could have handled this properly by refraining from poking the hornet's nest publicly on Twitter.

Anyway, it looks like things escalated way too quickly, and Delimiter was left with a crappy week replete with LowEnd Drama and bouts of nightmare inducing PR fiascos across the internwebs.

I am sure there is a lesson to be learnt from somewhere within this madness.

• K4Y5 said: I am sure there is a lesson to be learnt from somewhere within this madness.

Yeah, it's that companies shouldn't limit their budget to $7 for public relations advice

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • JonchunJonchun Member

@K4Y5 said:
    OTOH, Delimiter could have handled this properly by refraining from poking the hornet's nest publicly on Twitter.

Except that's the stuff that defines Delimiter.

• cociucociu Member

MrGeneral said: Granted that Delimiter replies werent proper but they didnt deserve all this flame wars and threats

i am agree too.

• @raindog308 said:
    From popcorn and poptarts to HVAC engineering and reddit wars, Delimiter is having quite the year.

You missed slot hosting saga. ;)

Thanked by 2zafouhar Ympker
  • @iNap said:

@jarland said:
    That's rough. Just thinking about the original problem. Not sure where I stand on 200k PPS on a Dedi. Given that it was probably a cheap one I can probably understand it.

Yeah, its mainly just a datapoint/warning so other people don't make the same mistake since 200k PPS doesn't seem high enough to trigger a null route to me and pretty much any decent sized guild would hit that, particularly with many users behind CGN. Then again its LET so I can't say I'm too surprised. :p

I have had websites with 198K PPS legitimate traffic (Proxy website that was listed high up on popular website) so nulling at 200k is pretty big joke that Johnny would pull off.

Thanked by 1kkrajk
  • @raindog308 said:

Just be happy he did not lie about it, It appers they system is shit.

Lets list providers better than Delimiter.

• hawchawc Moderator, LIR

I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say ColoCrossing and Online are better than Delimiter

• @hawc said:
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here, and say ColoCrossing and Online are better than Delimiter

I would say OVH or Online.net for high uptime,

If you want Delimiter uptime then use cloudatcost (thinking about that it might making cloudatcost look worse than it really is).

• @KuJoe said:
    200k PPS can easily be 2Gbps which is more than most dedicated servers provide. Also it's worth noting that 150k PPS would wreck most software routers (i.e. Vyatta). 200k PPS is a lot for a single client and can easily take down a network if a handful of clients tried to push that at the same time.

90k stand packets will flood a single 1Gbps uplink. Something to think about.

Iv'e had 196K PPS incoming to a website due to it getting seen on a few popular websites and it was using about 300Mbps at the time.