Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Any interest for pure SSD shared hosting?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Any interest for pure SSD shared hosting?

RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep
edited November 2012 in General

I've been tossing around the idea of doing some SSD web hosting, the middle-line between general web hosting, and VPS hosting. The SSDs in my new box just hold up so well for websites with demand for SQL, and other such things. Would anyone want to see anything like this?

Comments

• I'm not sure if many here are fans of shared hosting in general.

• Nope. I see no reason to have full SSD shared hosting.

• @RobertJFClarke said: Would anyone want to see anything like this?

Offer a MySQL cluster on SSD instead like BuyVM and others as an additional service

• @bamn said: Offer a MySQL cluster on SSD instead like BuyVM and others as an additional service

Yes. I already bought into this for buyVM

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

Mhmm, thanks for the advice @bamn, still deciding on what to do about this.

• t0p3at0p3a Member
    edited December 2012

I think a cheap cloud vps with anycast or shared cloud hosting etc... offers that would be great to keep users sites up

Personally i am interested in something like that

• We host our shared clients on our cloud based ssd cached setup as it is cost effective, fast and stable. Plus with auto-failover normally no issues.

• If you want to get SSD for marketing sake, go ahead but the demand for SSD is related to SQL. Would hate for you to maintain unnecessary overhead for something that could be added on as additional.

I have considered using RamNode's SSD offering since it's a low ping time between 2 of my server locations in the Southeast US as an additional option for customers if they wanted SSD MySQL databases.

@bamn it's easier to market it as 100% SSD web hosting, rather than manage another server as well

• jhjh Member

I sell pure SSD shared hosting and although I have sold some, it's not that much. Also I have a feeling most of the buyers bought because it was shared hosting, not because it was SSD based.

@jhadley good insight, I'm sure there must be a market for it, just need a median to reach the audience

• The market for shared hosting is shrinking. SSD Master Resellers might be the way to go. As people who are using master resellers will probably jump at that.

@24khost I don't think so by any means, the internet is only expanding, and not everyone knows how to manage a Linux server.

• @24khost said: SSD Master Resellers might be the way to go.

Agreed.

Let the reseller take your product, as he clearly shows interest in it, and pitch it to his market. You wipe your hands clean and the reseller does all the work.

@24khost @bamn Running cPanel on this node, so it wouldn't be hard at all. It's just up to finding one (a reseller)

• 24khost24khost Member
    edited December 2012

@RobertJFClarke I am not sure your understanding

Market the product as SSD based master reseller hosting.

• @Jack off........

Well basically the only thing they have to go on is that he is telling them that.

@24khost @jack That's a lot of hosting in general TBH.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

Everything I've heard is that it's a nonexistent market.

• somebody has to be the first there.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@24khost said: somebody has to be the first there.

Did StormVZ try it and decide to stop because of lack of interest?

@Nick_A I wouldn't be doing it so much as for the profits, just to cover server costs. If I get interest, I can always expand later on.

• @Nick_A said: Everything I've heard is that it's a nonexistent market.

It's a nonexistent market in the low-end, not the high-end. MediaLayer, for example, offers purely SSD shared hosting.

• So you have an SSD VPS with CPanel and want to rent out your unused space? Is this what I am understanding now? Or do you have a dedicated server with raid ssd?

@24khost Currently looking to fill up my RAID 10 SSD dedicated server.

• SSD is just fast becoming the new 'norm'

Since about 4 months ago, we've only been deploying SSD disk trays for our clouds, having dropped entirely spinning metal for all except backups.

@dediserve They're the future for sure, it really improves the performance of my hosting.

• How about SSD cache.