Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RamNode 4 hours downtime yesterday evening - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RamNode 4 hours downtime yesterday evening

Comments

• @FredQc said:
    No refugee offers yet ?

Just waiting for delimiter to do their thing...

• linuxthefishlinuxthefish Member
    edited April 2016

Would be interesting to know what kind of switches RamNode uses, and why this one failed.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @AnthonySmith said:
    @stab just out of curiosity what do/did you think was an acceptable amount of time to replace a failed switch?

Well a host the size of RamNode could of had it set up in about 30 minutes as long as they keep a spare switch with up to date configs.

• @david_W said:
    My 15/y big drive plan always go offline for <10mins daily around 2am. It's a backup drive so yea I am still happy with it.

Proof please?

• AnthonySmithAnthonySmith Member, Patron Provider

@mtwiscool said:

@AnthonySmith said:
    @stab just out of curiosity what do/did you think was an acceptable amount of time to replace a failed switch?

Well a host the size of RamNode could of had it set up in about 30 minutes as long as they keep a spare switch with up to date configs.

Lol, well if you say so then it must be true.

• so,ramnode don't have redundant switchs?

• SpartanHostSpartanHost Member, Host Rep

@maoyipeng said:
    so,ramnode don't have redundant switchs?

Most hosts don't at the cabinet level, redundancy often only starts at the distribution layer.

• maoyipeng said: so,ramnode don't have redundant switchs?

I think you are in the wrong forum if you have to ask this. Please go check http://aws.amazon.com
    However even they have downtime sometimes.

Thanked by 2maoyipeng lazyt
  • Fwiw 4 hours for a fix is fast! Impressive.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • trvztrvz Member

Ramnode goes down for 4 hours because they can't fit a failover switch into their quarter rack and all hell breaks loose, but Vultr goes down in their second most important international location for a weekend and nobody bats an eye.

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@trvz said:
    Ramnode goes down for 4 hours because they can't fit a failover switch into their quarter rack and all hell breaks loose, but Vultr goes down in their second most important international location for a weekend and nobody bats an eye.

Probably because there aren't a whole lot of butthurt cheapskates over a Vultr who feel the need to post an passive-aggressive rant about it.

• @trvz was it down over IPv4 too? Most people don't use ipv6 and wouldn't know if it was down.

• FuslFusl Member

rds100 said: I think you are in the wrong forum if you have to ask this. Please go check http://aws.amazon.com

However even they have downtime sometimes.

You don't even want to know...

• david_Wdavid_W Member
    edited April 2016

@mtwiscool said:

@david_W said:
    My 15/y big drive plan always go offline for <10mins daily around 2am. It's a backup drive so yea I am still happy with it.

Proof please?

@mtwiscool

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@david_W - Have you opened a ticket yet? I'd like to take a look for you.

Jack said: No one cares about vultr anymore, ramnode are clearly bigger than a 1/4 cabinet for all of their locations now.

We've been in full racks since 2012 - trvz is well aware and simply doing his usual trolling bit. Poor guy just can't help himself.

Thanked by 1zafouhar
  • sinsin Member
    edited April 2016

@david_W said:

I believe you, same thing has happened to my Ramnode 128mb box twice in the past week around that same time. I woke up to connection error emails send from my servers trying to backup to the 128mb box and when I go into the Ramnode client area it shows the VPS as "offline", boot it back up and it's fine.

Like you I use it as a backup box and I have 3 other servers at different providers that I backup to every night so it's not a big deal to me unless it happens more and more.

Love my 128mb Ramnode server though and plan on keeping it for a long time :)

I wonder if you are running out of RAM perhaps. None of our servers are going down like you're describing. Please open a ticket for assistance.

• stabstab Member

Don't get me wrong; RamNode is my favorite provider and I've gone through quite a few. I was just surprised that no one talked about this anywhere that I saw.

Anyone have a good tutorial on setting up an automatic failover for websites? I have everything backed up so I could do it manually pretty quickly if I had to, but I'm not really sure how to do it automatically (DNS records, etc)

• @Nick_A will PM you the node name.

Just don't wanna spent your team's time to debug this issue. It will cost more man power than the plan itself ;)

My other SSD plan with you has been rock solid since day one.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

david_W said: Just don't wanna spent your team's time to debug this issue. It will cost more man power than the plan itself ;)

This is plain wrong.
    If there is a problem the provider must know about it, it could be something easily fixable or the warning sign of an impending failure, hacking, abuse, etc.

• MunMun Member

@stab said:
    I've been a huge fan of RamNode for a while and host many important servers with them. Last night, they had a failed switch in their ATL datacenter and my servers were down for over 4 hours. I couldn't even log into the control panel.

One of my servers has an uptime of 350+ days and this is the first time it went down for any amount of time, but it's still pretty troubling to have a very important server go down for over 4 hours.

I guess it's a lesson learned and a good time to figure out how to setup a failover. I obviously have full backups but nothing setup to automatically switch over in the case of hardware failure.

Is there not real way they can monitor for these kinds of failing hardware before it happens? And is it even normal to take 4 hours to fix a switch?

First off, /shit/ happens. You had 350+ days of uptime and you freak out because 4 hours it was down? I am saying you /freaked/ out because you are here posting a thread to bash a company you pay < 10$ a month for and they gave you some amazing uptime with it.

350 x 24 = 8400 hours of total time up possible.

4 / 8400 = ~.0005

That means you have had 99.9995% uptime with your server.... and yet you complain and make a post to bash your provider? Shame on you. I really hope you learn better manners and to be thankful for the great service that you /are/ getting.

In any case, you can monitor for hardware failures but sometimes /shit/ happens and due Ramnode being a budget provider I doubt that they have redundant switching in place.

• Mun said: I am saying you /freaked/ out because you are here posting a thread to bash a company you pay < 10$ a month for and they gave you some amazing uptime with it.

His post seems perfectly reasonable.

Do share your formula of whether it's OK or not to start a thread about downtime.

Thanked by 2Ole_Juul srvrpro
  • MunMun Member

@ricardo said:

Mun said: I am saying you /freaked/ out because you are here posting a thread to bash a company you pay < 10$ a month for and they gave you some amazing uptime with it.

His post seems perfectly reasonable.

Do share your formula of whether it's OK or not to start a thread about downtime.

So what you are making this into is that a host has to be perfect and any downtime should result in a thread on LET.

You are simply ridiculous, he didn't even take the time to post a ticket to his provider.

All he wanted was drama, just like you.

Thanked by 3MikeA zafouhar Pwner
  • Settle down son. Soemone posted their Ramnode container was down for 4 hours, no more, no less.

Thanked by 1Kris
  • @Mun said:
    First off, /shit/ happens. You had 350+ days of uptime and you freak out because 4 hours it was down? I am saying you /freaked/ out because you are here posting a thread to bash a company you pay

Er, where did he "freak out" or "bash" Ramnode? He made factual statements and asked questions . . .

• MunMun Member

@ricardo said:
    Settle down son. Soemone posted their Ramnode container was down for 4 hours, no more, no less.

Yes, but the reason for posting such is absolute ridiculous. This is a budget provider, and downtime happens. Sometimes you have to order out for a part, sometimes you need a full replacement. Not everything is instant.

Posting about only getting 99.9995% uptime is frankly insane at best.

Maybe the OP should go get some chicagovps.

@Microlinux said:

@Mun said:
    First off, /shit/ happens. You had 350+ days of uptime and you freak out because 4 hours it was down? I am saying you /freaked/ out because you are here posting a thread to bash a company you pay

Er, where did he "freak out" or "bash" Ramnode? He made factual statements and asked questions . . .

"Is there not real way they can monitor for these kinds of failing hardware before it happens? And is it even normal to take 4 hours to fix a switch?"

That right there is complaining that he thinks the host didn't do enough. I guess he thinks he is buying a supped up managed service. Frankly it is insane to expect perfection from these kinds of hosts.

• @Mun
    That right there is complaining that he thinks the host didn't do enough.

Are you serious? Those are questions, people frequently have them when something goes wrong that they don't understand. You're the one freaking out? Am I missing something here?

Thanked by 1ricardo
  • It seems you have the assumption that the OP already had the answers to his questions, or already knows what you know, and your scepticism says this is just really a form of negative feedback.

So maybe he did 'learn a lesson' for having a failover, and perhaps he doesn't know how long it takes to fix a switch. I certainly don't, and I'd safely bet 90% of customers of hosting providers don't either.

• @Maounique said:

david_W said: Just don't wanna spent your team's time to debug this issue. It will cost more man power than the plan itself ;)

This is plain wrong.
    If there is a problem the provider must know about it, it could be something easily fixable or the warning sign of an impending failure, hacking, abuse, etc.

Okay I am just lazy..

If any of my critical service is unstable, i will ticket for sure. No matter how affordable they are.

I didn't take this thread as bashing although there isn't much positive to be gained from it. The event was already documented for those who cared before this thread was posted. Not sure what its value is at this point other than providing drama for those who need some.