Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

iwsea (Prometeus)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

iwsea (Prometeus)

Anyone else get the email?

Essentially it's their hosted seafile "cloud", prices seem quite attractive but the email/page seem to be light on details about how they'll actually look after the data e.g backups.etc

iwSea
Cloud Storage
April 25, 2016
We are pleased to announce the availability of iwSea Cloud Storage service.
What is iwSea? iwSea is a cloud storage and data synchronization service based upon the Seafile platform. iwSea lets you store your files and data on our central servers and synchronize them with laptops, desktops, smartphones, and tablets.
• The Seafile client application is available for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, and iOS. In addition to using Seafile clients, you can also use the web interface and any webdav client to access your files and data stored in iwSea servers.
• iwSea lets you create indipendent libraries where you can upload, organize, sync and share your files.
• iwSea comes with an advanced encryption feature to protect your files and privacy. All data is transferred using SSL encrypted channels, in addition iwSea lets you create passwords for your libraries and all the files and data are encrypted on the desktop client or browser before they are uploaded to the server.
Subscription Plans. There are 3 plans with different storage size: Small with 200GB, Medium with 400GB and Large with 900GB. Each plan include unmetered transfer bandwidth.
Annual subscription prices. Small is €29/yr, Medium is €49/yr and Large is €99/yr.

Discounted introductory recurring rates! The prices for the next 30 days will be:
Small (200GB) €24/year, Medium (400GB) €39/year and Large (900GB) €69/year.

Order your iwSea account at discounted recurring price here !

Thank you!

— Prometeus Team

Comments

• Here-where? :)

• bersybersy Member
    edited April 2016

I wonder why exactly Seafile. Prometeus also have a good tendency to made a short-term discount in honor of launching their new products, but not in this time as far as I can see.

• IshaqIshaq Member

@bersy said:
    I wonder why exactly Seafile.

Any reason why not? I have my own install and it seems pretty decent.

I'm interested in what the setup is like. Massive SAN with Seafile accounts or an isolated container for each customer with a Seafile template.

• bersybersy Member

Ishaq said: Any reason why not? I have my own install and it seems pretty decent.

Not exactly, it's just for the sake of curiosity.

• @bersy said:
    I wonder why exactly Seafile

A good reason is because Seafile offers client side encryption

Thanked by 1bersy
  • Oh right so this DID post... (LET was having problems when I tried to post it last night)

@bersy there was a discount says so right there in the email I pasted...

Still be nice to know what kind of features it has in more detail, e.g how they keep the data safe, does it allow multiple users or is it per user pricing.etc

Thanked by 1bersy
  • prometeusprometeus Member, Host Rep

I was asked to give some details on this service, so here we go :)

These are individual accounts of a single (and large) seafile instance configured with the "cloud" settings (i.e. there is no organization features enabled).

Storage is on our ZFS san with several raidz2 vdevs.

A daily off site backup is performed for disaster recovery purpose.

If somebody (with an active service with us) want to try the service I've setup a sample plans (with only 10G of space) with a coupon code ( tryiwsea ) which allow you to try the service for one year. Please use the following url:

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=191&promocode=tryiwsea

This will not work without an active service, the coupon code is limited to 100 usage

• laticlatic Member, Host Rep

Prometeus, would this be targetting the onedrives / dropboxes out there?

• NekkiNekki Veteran

@bersy said:
    I wonder why exactly Seafile. Prometeus also have a good tendency to made a short-term discount in honor of launching their new products, but not in this time as far as I can see.

You can't have made much effort to check.

http://www.prometeus.net/site/iwsea.php

Thanked by 1bersy
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited April 2016

latic said: Prometeus, would this be targetting the onedrives / dropboxes out there?

No, we are committed to privacy, please use the encryption available so that nobody will be able to read the files.
    The software is open source, there are no backdoors, but you can, of course, make encrypted containers prior to using this software to upload them for better protection.

• Hmm I've used seafile before although that was the free version, other than some pain if the server crashed during an upload and updates sometimes being a bit of an annoyance it was a pretty nice bet of software.

I believe it can do some form of de-duplication as well since it uses a storage subsystem not dis-simular to GIT.

edited April 2016

This is also the free open source version. We only sell the storage, not the software, it like setting up a ftp server, of course, it has more features and stuff, but for single accounts it should be good enough.
    We are also thinking and even preparing other storage solutions for the people which take steps to protect their constitutional and human rights to privacy and don't just hope nobody will sift through their data.

Thanked by 1linuxglobe
  • If you are using the Free version @Maounique you may run into a problem with disk usage as I don't believe it has online GC meaning you'll have to shut it down to run GC.

If you don't run GC nothing will get deleted... Ever!

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • I like the mention of a disaster-recovery provider backup.

I have no experience with seafile beyond seeing it's from a legit-looking Chinese tech company.

Open source SyncThing also has client-side encryption I believe, but minus the nice gui.

Looking forward to more of these semi-managed essential services (for today's Internet user)

It is open source... Nuff said.

Thanked by 1vimalware
  • @vimalware said:
    legit-looking Chinese tech company.

Those are words you never expect to hear in the same sentence.

Thanked by 1ehab
    edited April 2016

There is a lot of bias against chinese people due to their government actions, however, there are many people which do not agree with those policies, proof is the hard and illegal crackdown on people based in hong-kong and even kidnappings abroad. Not all chinese are taking goose-steps preparing to invade south asia, some deeply resent the direction the country is going. The same is valid for Russia, US, educated people understand what those policies mean, what religion and hate propaganda will eventually do.
    That being said, this is not just a "chinese company", it is a multinational effort.

Thanked by 1vimalware

@dragon2611 said:
    If you don't run GC nothing will get deleted... Ever!

of course I know (we use seafile ourself and for some managed services since long time) :-)
    we will perform periodic gc in occasion of upgrade and other maintenances.

• @prometeus said:

A daily off site backup is performed for disaster recovery purpose.

I'm curious; Is file versioning / rollbacking à la Dropbox included in the service as well?

Seafile itself has version control, but I wonder if those 200GB/400GB/900GB is used for the files and their previous versions or the mentioned spaces are exclusive used space for file versioning.

Thanked by 1vimalware

We > @RoestVrijStaal said:

I'm curious; Is file versioning / rollbacking à la Dropbox included in the service as well?

Seafile itself has version control, but I wonder if those 200GB/400GB/900GB is used for the files and their previous versions or the mentioned spaces are exclusive used space for file versioning.

we keep 30 days of history at present which is not counted against quota.

• jcalebjcaleb Member
    edited April 2016

Great offer

Thanked by 1prometeus
  • vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited April 2016

Took it for a quick spin.

Real happy to see Mandrill email headers in the 'Share file via email' emails.

The sharing features are important for typical consumer.
    (QUICK : put in rate limits before some LET 'genius' abuses that somehow)

Edit: just saw WebDAV is mentioned in the iwSea announce email. :D
    Can we expect support for read-only seafile FUSE support for access from linux servers?

If that was automate-able on your end, I think it would be a killer feature to have.

I'm not familiar enough with seafile to comment further.

Feedback 2: Tested photo uploads; Thumbnails are sorely NEEDed.

Relevant config perhaps: https://github.com/haiwen/seahub/blob/master/seahub/settings.py#L474

Limiting THUMBNAIL_IMAGE_ORIGINAL_SIZE_LIMIT = 3 would be fine by me.

• vimalwarevimalware Member
    edited May 2016

@vimalware said:
    Feedback 2: Tested photo uploads; Thumbnails are sorely NEEDedworking on non-encrypted libraries .

Tagging @prometeus @maounique instead of raising a ticket. (A ticket didn't feel 'right' on a free trial)

Thumbnails are enabled, I just did a quick check:

Anyway please open a ticket if it doesn't works for you :)

Thanked by 2yomero vimalware
  • NyrNyr Community Contributor, Veteran

Looks good and pricing is very nice.

If only there was some smaller offer...

• @prometeus said:
    Thumbnails are enabled, I just did a quick check:

D'oh. It works in regular libraries.

I just didn't realize I was operating with a so-called 'encrypted' library at the time.
    My bad. :)

• Sorry for reviving this old thread....

@prometeus said:
    If somebody (with an active service with us) want to try the service I've setup a sample plans (with only 10G of space) with a coupon code ( tryiwsea ) which allow you to try the service for one year. Please use the following url:

https://www.prometeus.net/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=191&promocode=tryiwsea

This will not work without an active service, the coupon code is limited to 100 usage

The renewal time has come, just wondering if there is any renewal deals on these stuff?

• spammy said: The renewal time has come, just wondering if there is any renewal deals on these stuff?

Owner was banned, because the offer was expired.. )

• jenkki said: Owner was banned

What?? Who was banned? Uncle Sal??