Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPS Giveaway = Abusers' paradise?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPS Giveaway = Abusers' paradise?

DannyAlexDannyAlex Member
edited November 2012 in General

It's 9:00 A.M here, so good morning everyone.
2 weeks ago I have given away 8 VPS in LET, I got countless PM in my inbox, so the first come 8 lucky got the free VPS.
While 4 of the 8 lucky abused or getting attacked for over 3 times in the past 2 weeks.
I am confused, free VPS = place to abuse?

Comments

• Yup

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Yes, it seems that way, as long as ppl are not held to offer any identification and have nothing to lose if get suspended, they will try the crazyest things they wouldnt in the their "production" VPSes.

• If you read around, yes that's usually the case - there was an open topic about why people shouldn't give out free trials to random people.

Personally, I tend to only give it out to respected reviewers and others to try for specific reasons.

• @Maounique said: Yes, it seems that way, as long as ppl are not held to offer any identification and have nothing to lose if get suspended, they will try the crazyest things they wouldnt in the their "production" VPSes.

+1 :)

Yes, I am also running a beta now and only accepted ppl which were already customers.
    Since 1/4 at least of the usuals here are already customers seemed like logical to announce it here :)
    BTW the server seems stable and load is below 1 all the time.

• Normally if there's no money treading hands, the user tends to feel their identity/obligations are nil, and as such are more likely to abuse them simply because you didn't take a form of payment or identity check.

I think that if you did such a contest again, like VPS for only 2$ or something, you may see that % drop down pretty good, since some kind of identity is attached to a payment.

• I gave out free VPSes before I launched OneAsiaHost, only to LET members with some post count/history. Giving to random people basically puts yourself up for abuse.

Though on the flip side, abuse/attacks are still going to be there even if it's a paid service.

• I've got one of your free VPSes. I've yet to really use it, adding cPanel DNS-only to for a test cluster.

But yeah, it does seem that free or extremely low cost servers attract some shady people.

• PaulVPS...hmmmm..nice company name...

• @Paul said: PaulVPS...hmmmm..nice company name...

Kind of defeats the "I don't see your name on it" claim :D

• Am I in that list?

• you think?lots of ppl from hf or had been wih hf visits this site

• it's 4 including me ?

• @arieonline said: it's 4 including me ?

Yes, you are included in the rest 4.
    No, you are a good client Arie.

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

Free VPSs to random strangers without doing research is a one-way ticket to Abuseville.

• Usually, since they didn't pay for it and don't lose anything if they get suspended.

• @DannyAlex said: No, you are a good client Arie.

what about me : |

• @DannyAlex said: I am confused, free VPS = place to abuse?

depend, not all abuser :P

• you didn't gave me though i had valid reason, better know them before giving free bcoz any body can just grab it, as its free..

• Block outgoing UDP and 25/tcp? ;-)

• what ya could have done was that they pay atleast 1 cent trough paypal or somethign so ya have their info

• Even paid VPSes are most of the time abusers ... so I can imagine the free ones.

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

@qhoster said: Even paid VPSes are most of the time abusers

Depends what type of customers you sell to, if most of your customers are abusers.. you're targetting the wrong market.

@Infinity said: Depends what type of customers you sell to, if most of your customers are abusers.. you're targetting the wrong market.

Not really wrong market, but there is something wrong some place.
    If the customers dont really care if they get suspended or think they will not be even if they abuse, then you are wrong in enforcing the ToS or your VPS cant really be used for anything else.

• PaulVPS is down?

• @John_R said: PaulVPS is down?

Yes, the main node is down for the disk error. we are checking on it.

• PatrickPatrick Member
    edited December 2012

We had similar experiences in the beta before we opened and I know at least 2 "active" members from here who either used it to send malicious attack and/or use it to mass mail unsolicited email. All well to common and learn from it so we refuse to do any more "free" giveaways even with beta or introduction of new services in the future.

@DannyAlex said: Yes, the main node is down for the disk error. we are checking on it.

Hosting your main site on the main node? Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Well, my beta went well, but was only for existing customers, which i guess you cant have before you launch the main business :P
    Uncle also had some horror stories about the 90% off first month he had.
    It is hard to start, that is for sure.

• We also had a lot of bad orders, especially in the beginning. This is the main reason you don't see us advertising on LEB - too much trouble makers lurk there.

• We've noticed when we release a new offer we get lots of abusers (inevitable, right?). So I can imagine giving a VPS away for free will only increase the amount of abusers too.

Perhaps just keep an extra close eye on those clients and suspend them if they breach your usage policy/terms of service. Like a user above said, perhaps have them send you a small amount ($0.01) so that you have their payment records in your records and if they abuse their VPS simply blacklist them from potentially purchasing or requesting another for free in the future.