Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Website Ripped, What to do?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Website Ripped, What to do?

JacobJacob Member
edited December 2011 in General

http://scriptmafia.org/clones/75643-easevps-full-html-site-rip.html

I am having lots of visits from the link: http://adf.ly/49zz4

Should I contact scriptmafia, Adfly, or the file hoster directly?

Comments

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

do you own the full, complete, rights to the design? It looks like a template monster to me.

If that's the case, you have no grounds for anything, learn2design.

Francisco

• @Francisco
    That comment was inappropriate and not needed, The website is a template originally from which I hired a designer to modify to my exact requirements.

We have many versions of the EaseVPS website, Halloween, Christmas and other designs available. So in a way yes it is my design as you can not tell it from the original.

http://themeforest.net/item/artemis-simple-and-fresh-template/129358

Suck it up alas. If you check all of the 'clones' on there, they're all templates. Sending a DMCA won't help anyone because you don't own the rights to the work, themeforest does.

Francisco

• scriptmafia is a warez site oriented on the niche of CMS, scripts, site clones, etc...
    So even if it is your own template and it is licensed, it doesn't matter.

• @Francisco
    http://scriptmafia.org/user/xprip/news/
    He is specificly targetting hosts by the looks of it, VMPort, YourVZ, VPS4Less and more.

What if i just contact adf.ly and ask them to remove the redirected link, I have done PPC business with them in the past so maybe they will be reasonable.

And every single one of them is using a template minus softsys.

Francisco

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

Unless you bought the extended license you don't have the rights to it. You don't own the theme. I'm 100% with Fran here.

• I'm guessing by "Christmas version" you mean you switch to the red version of the template around Christmas? And Halloween = orange version of the template?

Thanked by 1Infinity
  • @Francisco
    I'll give it a try and contact Adf.ly but I don't have much faith in this at the momment.

You can see my point though, I have different holiday designs of my website to promote offers and events.

I spend money getting the colours changed and things added to the holiday & event designs so I'd rather not just sit back and watch all of them get ripped.

• @NickM
    That is correct, Colour changes of all images including WHMCS Images and additional holiday / event items added that are relevant.

• @EaseVPS Try coding your website in .asp/aspx
    Because that takes longer to decode to HTML and it's not easy (i Know someone that ripped WP Blogs themes)

• @xprotocept
    I'm not a coder and I have a feeling that would cost a pretty penny.

@xprotocept said: Try coding your website in .asp/aspx

Eww.. Don't go with .asp.

• Ouch...
    Well i don't know more things

• on top of that its hosted in russia, you have no chance..

• @Infinity said: Eww.. Don't go with .asp.

i use asp :P

• @To the noob

learn to design you're own site, and them dmca em (or in russia hosting case ddos them)

• Could also follow the link and see where the download site is. Probably megaupload or the like.

Not that I know of such things of course.

• gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
    edited December 2011

@EaseVPS said: I'll give it a try and contact Adf.ly but I don't have much faith in this at the momment.

adf.ly is mostly used to make money with warez, you don't have a chance with them.

Just an idea: Include some php in your website that puts the visitor's IP in a HTML comment. Then when someone publishes the HTML rip you just look at the files and see the IP of the ripper.

• Speaking from experience here, when we got out ThemeForest template ripped i contcacted them and they said i actually had more rights over the design than they do.

As for scriptmafia removing something because its illegal, are you m@d?

Thanked by 2xprotocept Infinity

@VMPort said: As for scriptmafia removing something because its illegal, are you m@d?

Exactly.

• @VMPort
    I think we established that on the first few comments of this thread.
    I'll send off a email to adf.ly and the file host later and see what the responses are.

• Go59954Go59954 Member
    edited December 2011

At least that website (which I'm aware of) is honest! :p

If you really hate it to be shared then your best bet is reporting every download URL to it's file hosting site, usually it will be deleted and within a short period of time.

But beware that sometimes it's not friendly when you do so for the publisher hence he might insist on it and upload it back on abundant mirrors, or put you in his head if you are a script designer, and has some other projects :p But I guess, in most cases it's safe to report it.

• I checked that scriptmafia post, and he/she added a new link to multiupload
    Alot of filehosting sites have that rip now -.-

• @xprotocept said: Try coding your website in .asp/aspx

Because that takes longer to decode to HTML and it's not easy (i Know someone that ripped WP Blogs themes)

I'm not sure how that "takes longer to decode" as the browser is presented with HTML, not raw php code. So regardless of the backend, asp or php, the actual code outputted to the browser will be almost identical in terms of HTML/CSS.

• @Joel

Didn't know that
    Learned a new thing here again lolz

• @EaseVPS said: I'm not a coder and I have a feeling that would cost a pretty penny.

Yes, I know this particular comment refers to ASP. But it's still something I see from quite a few providers, and it bugs the hell out of me.

Even if you don't have a decent designer on staff, spend the money to have a competent design created for you. Yes, it's "expensive", but so is hardware, ARIN fees, and a slew of other charges a long-time host will be looking at. Quite personally, any company that shies away from spending a few hundred on something that's pretty damn necessary is a company I wouldn't trust to have long term plans about remaining in this industry.

Thanked by 2kylix jh
  • @Aldryic
    We use our Upstream providers not ARIN or RIPE Directly, What is wrong with our current website design? Many providers use templates, Your website is not 100% Coded from scratch. Bits and Pieces will be ripped from other websites or tutorials perhaps.

You cannot just say somthing like that without evidence to back this theory up.
    ("I wouldn't trust to have long term plans about remaining in this industry.") We have grown rapidly over the past 2 months we have been open, We have longterm plans to remain in the hosting industry.

• @EaseVPS said: Your website is not 100% Coded from scratch

You'd best do some more research before making that claim. Francisco coded frantech.ca, buyvm.net, and buyshared.net from the ground up. The -only- content not originally ours would be a handful of product images (logos of companies whose hardware we use, etc).

@EaseVPS said: We have grown rapidly over the past 2 months we have been open, We have longterm plans to remain in the hosting industry.

Quite a few of the deadpool listings made it more than two months. I'm not saying you're a guaranteed candidate, I'm stating that your actions and attitude (including the little pissing match with that other provider in another thread) tell me I shouldn't use your services for any project I need to be around in the long term.

To put it simply, using a free template for your website tells me that you don't have an operational budget behind your company. Even if you simply used a template for the first month to get off the ground, since you "have grown rapidly" finding a unique look and presentation should've been paramount.

• JacobJacob Member
    edited December 2011

@Aldryic
    So your telling me every single piece of the code on "frantech.ca, buyvm.net, and buyshared.net" have not been copied from another website and he just got down and did all the CSS,HTML etc.. without looking at websites like W3?

That could be said for any company, Many companys find it hard to hire staff etc.. not much is profitable anymore but we have a solid base and a Investor who co-operates and get's involved.

I should not be considered the "main" picture of EaseVPS which is a Division of EzyByte Limited.

It seems as if you want to humilate me or even get a strong reaction from me, Why is this so?