Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Raided for running a Tor exit - Accepting donations for legal expenses - Page 9
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Raided for running a Tor exit - Accepting donations for legal expenses

Comments

• @24khost said: Provide a good example! Please cause nobody has provided a good example of what you would need to hide in the United States

There is a growing militia movement in the United States currently, law enforcement deems them terrorist groups, I view them as a protected class under our 2nd Amendment

• @W1V_Lee said: Why would I need access to a TOR node here in the UK, my freedom of speech is fine as far as I can see.

So you'd have a network that's only used by people in countries that lack freedom of speech?

That reduces the anonymity a hell of a lot.

• @24khost
    "I have no use for it so why would anyone else need it"
    Fuck logic.
    Judging by your posts you don't even know how TOR works, or haven't visited TOR network. Maybe you shouldn't express your thoughts in area you lack knowledge of.

I am getting angry here, some guys really can be shortsighted.

• joepie91joepie91 Member, Patron Provider
    edited November 2012

@24khost said: Provide a good example! Please cause nobody has provided a good example of what you would need to hide in the United States

If you begin invalidating certain reasons based on your personal beliefs, then indeed, noone can provide a good example. That's not because their examples aren't valid, but because you believe they do not apply.

@W1V_Lee said: No actually I understand it perfectley well, and my point is proven with all the replies, you work it out.

Oh look, the "I planned all this in advance" excuse routine.

• @joepie91 in a sense. What protections I have based on the US constitution. Other than for your personal fetishes and cheating on your spouse. Nobody has given any example other than being anonymous. I want a good use identified so I can see it from your point of view. Cause right now all I see is a Haven for criminals. I just want something I can logically look at and see why it is really needed in the US. What is it protecting you from except your wife and what goes on behind your closed doors.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Removed.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

@joepie91 said: If you begin invalidating certain reasons based on your personal beliefs

That is the root of the problem, many ppl are supporting the restrictions put to their freedoms because it doesnt affect them or they think it doesnt affect them.
    They believe this is for the "greater good" and anything goes for that, only criminals will object to be spied upon.
    Being on the majority side attacking the minorities is a risky business, you may never know when you will find yourself on the other side of the fence, or when others will think you are on the other side of the fence.

@jarland said: I have to assume that Prometeus is not a safe place to host religious content.

Good job there, same as bamn sending his squad of lynching jews because of a century old joke. Should I expect your bunch of rolling preachers too ?
    Besides, unlike you I fight for the right of everyone to express their beliefs. I may not agree with official religions and their hate messages and wars, attack on civil liberties and the like, but they have the right to express their views and this is a cause worth dying for, not only it is not unsafe, but we do host any religion and belief, heck, I would host even the "illegal" ones, but that is not my call as I do not hold any view on the "editorial policy" either. If you want something taken down, you will need to send a DDoS because we do not offer protection for that and your target will have to move elsewhere.

@24khost said: @joepie91 in a sense. What protections I have based on the US constitution. Other than for your personal fetishes and cheating on your spouse. Nobody has given any example other than being anonymous. I want a good use identified so I can see it from your point of view. Cause right now all I see is a Haven for criminals. I just want something I can logically look at and see why it is really needed in the US. What is it protecting you from except your wife and what goes on behind your closed doors.

You are responding to someone who doesn't use TOR (me) because he personally does not care what people know about him. You'll have to ask someone else - and I suggest that to do so, you approach someone on TOR itself, because someone on here - as I mentioned before - is very unlikely to tell you what they want to hide. After all, if they could just tell you, there would be no point in hiding it.

• eLohkCalbeLohkCalb Member
    edited November 2012

@24khost. I remember there's something call anonymous donation.

• @joepie91 just looking for an example, doesn't have to be their personal life. I just want an example that really needs to be protected because it could really effect law biding citizens. Anybody please. Anybody who can give me a real example in the US what you woudl need it for.

• if guns kill people
    then spoons make people fat
    and pencils make spelling mistakes.

Dude, you're so deep, I can't even see you anymore.

• @24khost said: Anybody please. Anybody who can give me a real example in the US what you woudl need it for.

see

@miTgiB said: There is a growing militia movement in the United States currently, law enforcement deems them terrorist groups, I view them as a protected class under our 2nd Amendment

@24khost said: @joepie91 just looking for an example, doesn't have to be their personal life. I just want an example that really needs to be protected because it could really effect law biding citizens. Anybody please. Anybody who can give me a real example in the US what you woudl need it for.

I already told you you are asking the wrong people.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Removed.

• @jarland said: "The cest pit" is the perfect place for your religious discussion.

ftfy

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited November 2012

Since religion/culture decide what is legal and what is not, the need for "illegal" religions and beliefs to hide using Tor is a relevant discussion here.
    There are countless ways "undesirables" can be harassed. not only in china, russia, ukraine, etc, they make fake tax-evasion charges, the "public opinion" in the big sold-out media is worth hiding from in US, for example, and you can be searched and spied upon untill something is found that might LOOK suspicious/immoral and be blackmailed with.
    The ppl in the land of the free didnt experience this in a long time, this is why they are so lax with their hard earned rights and liberties, I merely point out things that do happen, the constitution does not protect them now and it is eroded every day, it will be too late when they will find themselves on the other side of the fence, a troublemaking, undesirable minority. As things go, it is only a matter of time.

• @Maounique you confuse law with religion and awful lot.

• Receiving criminal complaint puts lots of psychological pressure on day by day basis, and a bit draining on energy. Must have a way to relax the mind and just treat the situation as part of routine.

• A guy here at work in the good ole USA presented a good argument for why we need tor here @24khost .... he said he is very likely to go live in a country where things he do/does/believes may be illegal in that country, so if he does go live in said country he doesn't need traces of everything he do/does/believes sitting out there on the internet.

• @Corey there is the problem with your argument. In the US he has no need for it, only if he goes to another country!

• KairusKairus Member
    edited November 2012

@24khost Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Do you drive over the speed limit? We should take cars away so people don't break the law, you criminal scum.

What if TOR is used in the hacking of someone's e-mail account who's running a huge ponzi scheme, or a CEO who's manipulating the company's stock prices with bad intentions, or doing other immoral/illegal things, and TOR keeps the groups anonymity. Is it so bad now?

Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it shouldn't be done. Every smoked weed or drank alcohol underage? We should cut your hands off so you can't do those things anymore, criminal.

Hell, look at half the countries in the world, they've had uprisings, civil wars, which were 'illegal', but that doesn't mean it shouldn't have been done.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@miTgiB said: There is a growing militia movement in the United States currently, law enforcement deems them terrorist groups, I view them as a protected class under our 2nd Amendment

Growing? I think the US "militia movement" has always been tiny and will always be so.

As someone who's haunted gun shows since the 80s, what I've seen is that there used to be a bunch of tables with militia literature and now they're all but extinct.

I don't think the 2nd amendment has any protected "classes" - its rights apply to all. SCOTUS has rightly ruled that for all practical intents, the first clause is just commentary. The operative point is the 'right to bear arms shall not be infringed". The first clause about militias could be removed for all practical purposes.

I think we agree on the 2A, btw...just nitpicking here while a database import runs :-)

• @Kairus your logic is dumb logic.

First if something is illegal your supposed to follow the law. If you choose to break that law we have innocent until proven guilty in the US.

This is exactly why I can't support TOR right now as here is exactly what I am talking about. The only logical use for the TOR network beside protecting freedom of speech is criminal activity. Nobody has given a "good", I will put it in quotes, use other than freedom of speech for protecting your identity through TOR in the US. The closest one was @Corey, but really my problem with that argument is that if your willing to post it online in the first place, you should be willing to stand behind it.

Your logic on cutting hands off while how ever old school it is, is how they handle things in some other countries. You steal in Iraq I believe it is and your caught, bye bye goes your hand. My make people think twice. Just like the death penalty.

@24khost said: @Kairus your logic is dumb logic.

So it's still logic and, as such, valid!

@24khost said: First if something is illegal your supposed to follow the law.

Okay, you go do that, while other people look out for their personal freedoms and do not assume that the people "at the top" are inherently incorruptible.

I have nothing more to say.

• @24khost said: your logic is dumb logic.

This is probably the stupidest thing I've read yet on LET!

• 10 EUR sent. Hope your paypal accepted it ;)

• @24khost said: @Corey, but really my problem with that argument is that if your willing to post it online in the first place, you should be willing to stand behind it.

and face jailtime for it... or worse? That's dumb..... that's like saying people in north korea shouldn't use the internet to communicate with the outside world if they don't want to be prosecuted.

• RobertClarkeRobertClarke Member, Host Rep

William is the guy that was hosting these guys for free: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/2641/we-colo-your-rpi-for-free

Good reason to donate more $$$

• Damn that sucks. Must have been a real shock when they raided your house! I wish you all the best and good luck with the trial!
    Sorry to say but I won't be donating. Judging from all the news articles and info provided here in the topic, you get along just fine. Hang in there.
    PS. Drugs are bad mmkay?

• @Freek said: Damn that sucks. Must have been a real shock when they raided your house! I wish you all the best and good luck with the trial!

Sorry to say but I won't be donating. Judging from all the news articles and info provided here in the topic, you get along just fine. Hang in there.
    PS. Drugs are bad mmkay?

Didn't he say he doesn't have the money to cover legal fees?

This discussion has been closed.