Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server setup dummies guide
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server setup dummies guide

StrictlyKashStrictlyKash Member
edited November 2012 in Help

Hey people,

So I'm basically after a dummies guide on how to setup 2 servers, one for a PHP application and the other for the Mysql database, I'm hoping that someone here will be kind enough to help me with this. I've got basic knowledge and I've setup servers in the past, but I'm sure they weren't optimized very well.

Brief
I've got 2 servers, I want to use them to run my PHP application, the main objective is to have a fast, stable and secure application. How do I make the most of these servers? what can be done to optimize them and allow them to handle the most requests per second as possible.

I've always used Apache in the past, so I would prefer to stick with that for now. I usually add on things like APC to help. I would be interested in trying out Varnish aswell, so it would be great if you can incorporate that into the guide.

Equipment
2 x Hetzner EX 4 servers, OS: ubuntu 12.04

Requirements:
- Step-by-step guide on how to setup/optimize a server to run a PHP website. Lets start right from the beginning (I mean right from adding new users, SSH config etc), I'm keen to learn about apache optimization and also how to make the server secure using IP tables etc.

• Step-by-step guide on how to setup/optimize a Mysql server. Again lets start from the beginning, plus I'm interested in how to limit access so only the application can connect to this server. Also what are the best Mysql optimizing tricks, things like how big should the innodb buffer pool be etc.

Reward
- There is a $20 reward for the person willing to help me with this.

Comments

• minstall? (I think minstall does that)

• @HalfEatenPie

He's wanting somebody to hand hold him through everything. :)

• Oh.

Yeah no go for me. (what you're asking for is a really easy thing to do).

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

Just learn .. people will always set you on a path to the right direction. If you are serious about the website and your project - learning is the way to go.

See if Hetzner provides internal IPs, install MySQL on one server, and install everything you require (webserver, etc.) except MySQL on the other.

In the database connection, instead of localhost put in the LAN IP of the other server.

This is just a small thing, read about this and you will get more knowledge.

Good luck!

• depending on RHEL based or Debian based...

yum/apt-get install php mysql-server, etc.

• He did ask about Varnish however.

• I'd be fine hand holding you through it all, but not for $20, sadly.

Best of luck though! :)

• @rsk @halfeatenpie thanks for the advice

I know what I'm asking for is a simple thing to those who do it on a daily basis.

Thats why I was after a guide, because that will probably include tips/tricks that someone has learnt over the years, which I can then use as a foundation to build upon.

@Wintereise I'm willing to increase the reward if you can promise to deliver something worthwhile.

• I would gladly setup everything for you for £25/server, but for a "step-by-step guide" that starts "right from adding new users, SSH config etc" and covers setting up a LAMP/LEMP stack, APC, Varnish and so forth, I'd say at least 10x that amount.

It's one thing to ask somebody to set things up for you and it's another thing to ask them to teach you how to do it.

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited November 2012

What he said ^

I can get that done for $30 a box no problem, but teaching you that won't happen at that price, sorry.

If you're interested in talking more, send over a PM.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@StrictlyKash

Install LAMP .. just dont install MySQL on the same box ...

http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2008/09/how-to-install-or-upgrade-lamp-apache-mysql-and-php-stack-on-linux-using-yum/

Then just install MySQL on the other box ...

Optimize Apache: http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-tuning-optimizing-apache-php.html

Optimize MySQL: http://bit.ly/TtjfNk

And if you need anything more .. Google is your best friend.

Good Luck

• Seems like it'd be a good thing for me to add to OptimizeVPS.com once I get around to getting the blog/wiki up and running.

• That's tough...$20 for an idea/intellectual property. Some of the people here learned and experimented probably for weeks, months or even years just to get their systems in place. Experience is expensive, and $20 won't just cover for it.

• @Paul

I spend $8 on a VPS for 2 months and just Googled EVERYTHING that I wanted to know.
    I did this in my spare time, using Google, no help from humans (except bloggers who write tutorials) and just spend attention to HOW I was doing everything.

$8 + 2 months of spare time is not a lot to get to know basic Linux from SSH only, is it? ;-)

• fresher_06fresher_06 Member
    edited November 2012

Once a huge ship engine stops working . then the ship captain called the mechanic.The mechanic had seen the engine and bring out the NUT from the bag and screwed it in the engine. Captain asked -- How much do I need to pay for this .. Mechanic replied : $ 2000 ... Captain said : $2000 just for a single nut .. Mechanic replied : its not that what I have added to this engine .. the cost is for "WHERE" I have added this .. and to know where to add the right stiff to make things works .. takes lots of exp and skills and tht costs money ..

• How about take a look at www.384mb.com
    You can copy paste from there :p

• kbeeziekbeezie Member
    edited November 2012

@StrictlyKash said: I know what I'm asking for is a simple thing to those who do it on a daily basis.

Thats why I was after a guide, because that will probably include tips/tricks that someone has learnt over the years, which I can then use as a foundation to build upon.

Should probably just google how to create a LAMP server (Linux + Apache + MySQL + PHP) and go from there, that will at the very least get domains showing up on one machine since all you have to do is use a free DNS service (your domain registrar or say dns.he.net) to point the domain name to the IP address of the server, the name-resolution will take care of the rest.

If the two machines at hetzner can have a internet network on the same switch (ie: usually have to be in the same rack) that will be a bonus as it will cut down the latency between apache/php and mysql.

• PaulPaul Member
    edited November 2012

@BronzeByte said: $8 + 2 months of spare time is not a lot to get to know basic Linux from SSH only, is it? ;-)

You misunderstood my point. The thought on your post is the same as mine. That's why I noted that he COULD NOT possibly find someone to help him setup or to feed him all the information in a guide book, for just $20. $30 per box probably, yes.

Or he can do the research himself, and people here could just feed bits and pieces of what needs to be done, and not give the whole picture in one book.

@BronzeByte and you probably didn't just spend $8 + 2 months on learning mate, even during your spare time. If you're in a real business, you'd have to account for the utilities (electricity), the effort, the meals, the brain power you'd have to churn up to know what to do and do it well.

I know a friend before who had a client ask him a lot of questions about programming mobile apps. The poor git shared everything he knew. The client eventually wrote an e-book and sold the idea for $30/ebook (sold like 2,000 copies of it too), without a quid going to my friend. That's why I'm often wary of people who wants to know things for a few bucks. Intellectual property in this day and age is golden, mate.

• @MannDude said: Seems like it'd be a good thing for me to add to OptimizeVPS.com once I get around to getting the blog/wiki up and running.

I've got vzguides.com... time for some competition!

• @Paul said: Intellectual property in this day and age is golden, mate.

I feel like it has more to do with time spent than intellectual property. Knowledge is learned not given, and while I don't mind actually teaching someone, I'd want to be paid for my time or something equally valuable in trade and frankly it's going to take more than a few hours to actually tell someone what to do, and even longer for them to do it enough ti become habit and knowledge, $20 won't even pay for an hour or two.

There's a mountain of resources out there, use it.

• Threse's also howtoforge.com :)

• well why not use cPanel? (you have to change from ubuntu to centos though)
    documentation is more or less complete, and it is compatible with most packages I'm sure you might be using. having a GUI will help you fix many issues.

• Because that's a continuous expense of $70 extra per month.

Getting a guide written will most likely be more economical.

• The path @StrictlyKash want to go is very risky , to start is fine but every problem will find later will bring him down (downtime or forced to pay someone else to solve ) and he will ask for another tutorial step by step here.
    So for for my point of view he have 2 option : find someone ho can manage the servers for a leb price or start to learn all about if time its not o problem

• Firstly thanks for all the replies, I've read them all and taken all of your advice on board.

I guess it was alittle cheeky to ask for someones server setup secrets for only $20.

I've got a VPS from Prometeus, so I'll be spending this week experimenting on that.

• @StrictlyKash:
    Your best bet would be using Minstall first if you're in a hurry.

• You have to choose on what you want and can focus
    Learning is always the best if you have time and from your query you want to optimize all software on server ( minstall ,tuxlite and other scripts give you the start but you have to optimize all to embrace your needs that are always different from server to server )
    So take a week and start to install all the software and do all the required from setup optimizing backup etc and do all the test to find the surprises now and not later.You choose a good provider to start so no overselling slow disk and other problem from a very cheap provider to worry about.

• @StrictlyKash said: I guess it was alittle cheeky to ask for someones server setup secrets for only $20.

-> Fiverr

Add to the economy of the developing world.