Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hetzner IPs to cost 1€/month
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hetzner IPs to cost 1€/month

gsrdgrdghdgsrdgrdghd Member
edited November 2012 in General

Contrary to their announcement last week, Hetzner has now officially released the price for IPs: 1€/month. This applies to existing services too!

[1], [2]

Comments

• So.... Following OVH?

• It's a realistic idea, IPv4 not being charged monthly would mean that you can have huge ipv4 pools without paying for it...

• That's really BAD NEWS
    We have not received any email about it tho.

• LeeLee Veteran

Seems pretty reasonable given what they were considering. Maybe the suggestion of up to €5 was just to soften the blow when they announced only €1.

• 1E / IP / month seems to be the norm nowadays.

• @rds100 said: 1E / IP / month seems to be the norm nowadays.

@rds100
    This won't affect anyone besides yearly VPS providers, but now everybody has at least a fair cut in the ipv4's

• Awmusic12635Awmusic12635 Member, Host Rep

Much better than the 5€ people were saying before

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@W1V_Lee said: Seems pretty reasonable given what they were considering. Maybe the suggestion of up to €5 was just to soften the blow when they announced only €1.

This is exactly what I thought to be honest :P

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Anything above that would have made ppl go to OVH. The IPs are running out for europe, but not like that yet.

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

So are we looking at a crisis for LEB providers in hetzner? Feel bad for any providers caught in these situations where low profit turns into a loss.

• rds100rds100 Member
    edited November 2012

More or less all providers who didn't get their own IPs from RIPE / ARIN / APNIC or didn't get any long term written contracts about fixed IP costs with their datacenters will be screwed sooner or later.

@rds100 said: More or less all providers who didn't get their own IPs from RIPE / ARIN / APNIC or didn't get any long term written contracts about fixed IP costs with their datacenters will be screwed sooner or later.

Indeed. Lets all push IPv6 more.

• rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@jarland said: So are we looking at a crisis for LEB providers in hetzner? Feel bad for any providers caught in these situations where low profit turns into a loss.

Even a crisis at OVH's Kimsufi line .. maximum IP allocation per dedi ..

Its pretty much everything in these two dc's.

@rds100 said: More or less all providers who didn't get their own IPs from RIPE / ARIN / APNIC or didn't get any long term written contracts about fixed IP costs with their datacenters will be screwed sooner or later.

I'm hoping this won't be the case in the US where IPv4 costs are already typically so high with rented equipment, which is what we do because the profits are smaller but more predictable starting out.

• @jarland said: I'm hoping this won't be the case in the US where IPv4 costs are already typically so high with rented equipment, which is what we do because the profits are smaller but more predictable starting out.

>

ARIN will run out of IPs sooner or later. The same that is happening in Europe now will happen in USA. If you aren't an ARIN member already, consider becoming one NOW before it's too late.

In Europe even if you decide to shell out the money now and become a LIR now the most you can get out of RIPE would be a /22 (1024 IPs) and that's all.

• ChrisKChrisK Member
    edited November 2012

US IPv4 is still cheap, there is a few companies who will give you a /16 at 0.25/ip monthly w/o justification.

edited November 2012

@rds100 said: If you aren't an ARIN member already, consider becoming one NOW before it's too late.

My problem is that the entire process and requirements confuse me to no end. Nothing about running a server prepares you for their website. I'm not scared to say it...I can make a CPU run smooth any day, but put me in front of the ARIN website and I'll cry like a baby.

• @ChrisK said: a /16 at 0.25/ip monthly

That's $16k / month or about $200k / year? Getting them directly from ARIN would be cheaper :)

• @jarland hey, at least you are a native English speaker :) Imagine my frustration when i am trying to read and interpret the ToS of big companies i have to work with (paypal, etc.)

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

There are still LIRs in EU which offer fairly cheap IPs... Hopefully I will get a contract signed at the begining of Dec.

• @rds100
    that's exactly why I said if you don't have justification you can get them for that price.
    Not everyone has justification for 65k ips.

• Nick_ANick_A Member, Top Host, Host Rep

@jarland said: My problem is that the entire process and requirements confuse me to no end. Nothing about running a server prepares you for their website. I'm not scared to say it...I can make a CPU run smooth any day, but put me in front of the ARIN website and I'll cry like a baby.

I know a guy who can help you if you want to start the process with ARIN.

@Nick_A said: I know a guy who can help you if you want to start the process with ARIN.

Definitely interested in it, hook me up brother :)

• @ChrisK for $200k you could find someone to invent very good justifications for you :)

• you can't just go to ARIN and apply for a /16 first allocation

• Can ARIN subnets be announced by European networks? Or are they only limited for use in the US?

• @George_Fusioned said: Can ARIN subnets be announced by European networks?

Can, however it is a little complicated due to many european ISPs filtering prefixes based on route objects from the RIPE database. But yes, it can and does work.
    The problem would be getting the subnets in the first place, i think you as an European can't just go to ARIN and tell them "give me IPs". You need to have a registered company somehwere in the region ARIN is serving probably.

• SpiritSpirit Member
    edited November 2012

@George_Fusioned said: Can ARIN subnets be announced by European networks? Or are they only limited for use in the US?

FDC use ARIN subnets in Czech (Zlin DC).

http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-50-7-192-0-1/pft

@rds100 said: You need to have a registered company somehwere in the region ARIN is serving probably.

I think it may become a way of doing business :) The higher the prices go, the more incentives, however, the prices can go just to a point, when will be 10 Euros a piece, many ppl will consider IPv6.

• @rds100 said: Can, however it is a little complicated due to many european ISPs filtering prefixes based on route objects from the RIPE database. But yes, it can and does work.

The problem would be getting the subnets in the first place, i think you as an European can't just go to ARIN and tell them "give me IPs". You need to have a registered company somehwere in the region ARIN is serving probably.

Well considering RIPE can give a LIR only a /22 now, maybe creating a US LLC to register with ARIN is a one way road... (or as @Maounique mentioned, the move to IPv6 would be another way)