Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hi guys. Please suggest VPS to use as VPN & Proxy, cheap but reliable - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hi guys. Please suggest VPS to use as VPN & Proxy, cheap but reliable

Comments

• http://securedragon.net/

i use this for a VPN. they have openVZ 32MB (more than enough for openvpn) 500GB bw per month and 2GB disk for about ~$10/y.

i think they have a 20% off promo code aswell

• WintereiseWintereise Member
    edited November 2012

There's no way those can be fastest, not ramnode anyway.

They're in the east, find something in the west coast since most SEA providers will be peering at Equinix LAX (55th Hope St.) or CoreSite San Jose.

WebNX/Quadranet (and basically anyone in the west coast) peer at both of these locations, so you should be fine.

Exceptions to this: PLDT from Philipines, someone needs to teach them how to do BGP. Telkom from Indonesia is equally as bad at times, moratel is better.

All other APAC backbones (Singtel/Pacnet/NTT/KDD/Kornet/GT/IIJ/WIDE and the co...) will dump your packet just fine on LAX/SJC.

Additionally, EU will be fine if your ISP has capacity on the SEA-ME-WE4 cable, and a contract with a Europe bound carrier (Seabone comes to mind for their excellent APAC -> EU coverage.)

It's basically, Asia -> Italy -> LINX/DEC-IX/AMS-IX -> EU Providers, rtt is well around 220 from most of SEA, while East Asia is obviously higher)

Russia is another option (due to the rostelecom cable from Tokyo -> Vladivostok, I think), excellent rtt on that too.

And now, I've blabbered on too much :(

• edited November 2012

@Wintereise said: Telkom from Indonesia is equally as bad at times

This. Hahahahaha
    Have you come to Indonesia? Maybe you will be pleased to enjoy the 1mbps for $100. And sometimes dedicated 256kbps for $300/month :))

Do you have another suggestion for me in Indonesia?
    Currently only those 3 are the one having good connection to my isp ( Telkom :p )
    Other than that, it's more than 300ms

• I've been to ID, Erawan.

Great country, terrible infrastructure. Pretty much.

• Hahaha... Correctly.
    Next visit, come to Bandung :)

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: Do you have another suggestion for me in Indonesia?

Currently only those 3 are the one having good connection to my isp ( Telkom :p )
    Other than that, it's more than 300ms

I'll PM you some test IP :)

• mangkook,
    bluevm is best for your need.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: This. Hahahahaha

Have you come to Indonesia? Maybe you will be pleased to enjoy the 1mbps for $100. And sometimes dedicated 256kbps for $300/month :))

Try using Telkomsel, speed is very good, and I never paid for it. :D
    just use SSH tunnel from SoftLayer :D

• Ah... using hacked trick :p
    Last time I'm using it ( KartuAS ), I can get 4mbps, but after that they eat my subscription Rp.100.000 for 24 hours without any connection can be made.

Do you still have the trick for it?
    OpenVPN or Tunnel ? And at what port? Please PM me :D

• BuyVM SJ for their $15/year. Ping for me is 150-170ms, also South East Asia. I use it just for hulu, etc.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: OpenVPN or Tunnel ? And at what port? Please PM me :D

@SayangAlif PM me too

• Dirty hackers :P

Just kidding, haha. Unprotected corporate proxies, huh?

Man, those were the days. Now, don't even need anything, haha.

• Hahahaha...
    That's when Your-Freedom makes us free. All billing system were bypassed.
    But now they have the knowledge to make their system secured.

• wow, I went to sleep and it's been this long already and no derailing ;) nice, especially comments about SEA connection speed.

@tinyray said: bluevm is best for your need.

does this mean they will allow seedbox? i might not need one but its good to know if they do. if I can install many thing it'll be good for my experience.

I'm between bluevm and buyvm. leaning towards bluevm ;) if all goes well in the future I might consider 1 EU vps too just to share and balance bandwidth amongst friend.

just a question, can buy all this using my visa debit card? I don't have CC and my paypal need separate bank account to top up, need to take 1-2 days. but if anything elese fails I can just use my friend paypal.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Debit card is just as good as credit card. I use it all the time.

• guys, I'm ready to test buy vps.

do I need to have own domain and dns info?

I haven't had any of my current domain available to use.

• @mangkook said: do I need to have own domain and dns info?

I haven't had any of my current domain available to use.

Or you can just use the IP address. Depends on what exactly you are running.

• i dont need domain. not hosting anything at the moment. but when I place my order it says need domain / nameserver.

• @mangkook said: i dont need domain. not hosting anything at the moment. but when I place my order it says need domain / nameserver.

Don't know what host you are going for, but there should be 3 options and there's one that says you have your own - which means you can just make anything up.

• # You must enter a hostname for your server # You must enter a prefix for both nameservers # You must enter your desired root password #

I'm buying bluevm, buyvm dont have stock ATM.

@concerto49 said: but there should be 3 options and there's one that says you have your own

can't find that. could be some kind of mistake?

• @mangkook said: can't find that. could be some kind of mistake?

Just put anything :) It'll work.

• concerto49 settled. tq

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@mangkook said: buyvm dont have stock ATM.

Stock reloads every day for whatever plan we got in hand :)

There should be some up right now assuming you aren't after an SJ 128MB.

Best of luck!

Francisco

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

You can get free subdomains.
    I personally like freedns.afraid.org with their mooo.com

• mangkookmangkook Member
    edited November 2012

@Francisco said: Stock reloads every day for whatever plan we got in hand :)

I can't have paypal ready yet. My fren paypal aren't available during stock reload. ;) I waited last morning here around 5am.

I'll be hunting buyvm around next time

@Maounique

thanks for the tips

• Get on IRC and get Delta to reserve one for you if it's that much hassle.

I know he doesn't mind doing it for me because I live in a fucked up timezone, I don't think he'll mind it for you either.

edited November 2012

I've been to the irc yesterday. Never knew he can do that. nice tips.

btw, I've been able to setup my socks5 connection like @Maounique suggested. it was pain free. Thanks. Does this mean I can just change my password once in a while for security?

BTW, bluevm have setup me debian 32 automatically, I have to select something on the cart..

ls /etc/rc2.d/S*

gave me this:

/etc/rc2.d/S01modules_dep.sh /etc/rc2.d/S17sendmail /etc/rc2.d/S19cron
    /etc/rc2.d/S16saslauthd /etc/rc2.d/S17ssh /etc/rc2.d/S20rc.local
    /etc/rc2.d/S16sudo /etc/rc2.d/S17xinetd /etc/rc2.d/S20rmnologin
    /etc/rc2.d/S16sysklogd /etc/rc2.d/S18apache2

can I just ditch this debian and start from zero. I wanna try minstall + nginx or something..

edit* vnm.. I googled.

edited November 2012

seems that I need udp support since a lot of tracker only support udp.

i just install dante and need help with config. anybody got good danted.conf?

TQ

edit*

i found a good and easy to understand tutorial here:
    http://tech.tiq.cc/index.php/2012/06/how-to-set-up-danted-dante-server-socks-proxy-on-linuxdebian-with-authentication/

now udp is working! ;)

• sigh.. bad move, or at least for me.

Dante using too much ram and almost lock my box, putty not responding.