Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BuyVM/Shared Review
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BuyVM/Shared Review

pandabbpandabb Member
edited April 2016 in Reviews

Hello, first of all English is not my mother tongue so forgive me for my grammar.

To Francicso i really couldn't think of any better way to express how thankful and appreciative I am for your unparalleled support considering I am not yet a customer at that time.

Without Francisco, I'm left with zero data and probably more stressful days. The incident that happened to my VPS caused me three stressful days and two sleepless nights. Googling searching for solution and asking around from different forums and worst of all downloading 11gig of file size at the rate of 90kbps and not even sure if it will work because they mentioned that my backup file could be corrupted as well because it won't extract.

I also learned the importance of carefully reading terms of service. With that said i have reviewed Hostmybyte (My Vps Provider) TOS and in my simple understanding i cannot hold them accountable for my backup.

To mention their support team.

Some of them in my humble opinion are not even reviewing or analyzing the situation before making a follow-up and due to that we've been going around into circles for extended days. Also this time i felt like a number and not a person BUT I'm still thankful to those who are concerned and given their best effort to solve the problem.

To Tyler the owner i have a big faith to him, before when he was around he's able to patch up things quickly unfortunately this time he's nowhere to be found eventhough i requested for him few times.

Also it would be good if they can hire even just one highly experienced tech support, this way when critical issues arise it can be dealt or solved easily like Franciso did.

For now, I have moved my personal data to another host and for Hostmybyte i still have my VPS with them but for the meantime i wouldn't use it for production until they improve their overall services.

To end this review if you're like me looking for real people (not saying HMB crew aren't real, I'm talking about relationship) it's my main personal criteria btw then experienced tech look no further try BuyVm/BuyShared they won't let you down.

edited post to rephrase and condense

Comments

• century1stopcentury1stop Member
    edited April 2016

what was the issue? corrupted backup? if the server's still online why can't you just do another backup? this is so confusing......
    anyways everyone's heard of buyvm :D

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@century1stop said:
    what was the issue? corrupted backup? if the server's still online why can't you just do another backup? this is so confusing......

His backup was fine, the problem is they simply gave him a disk image and said 'extract it'.

I ended up pulling the image to a server, loop mounting it, and extracting his files for him so he could get going :)

Francisco

• ah, now I get it. well, op will have to learn most backups are provided that way, but as you say, READ THE TOS :D

@Francisco said:

Thanked by 1netomx
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@Francisco said:His backup was fine, the problem is they simply gave him a disk image and said 'extract it'.

I ended up pulling the image to a server, loop mounting it, and extracting his files for him so he could get going :)

Francisco

• I love frantech too... this is awesome fast on support. really! i buy a reseller package buyshared too. after purchase i got a problem with my restore file, it was corrupt and error lol. and between 1 hour i ask to remake my account from original. that was awesome fast. but the some support department look angry with me lol.
    other amazing on frantech is "the owner as customer support too". I do this right now, but i'am just a person on my small hosting company >.<

@francisco you are great, thanks for all.

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • pandabbpandabb Member
    edited April 2016

il chat down the full story as i remember.

• robohostrobohost Member
    edited April 2016

@Francisco said:
    Francisco

Action like this is what provider need to gain respect, customer, and recomendation not drama or refugees deals.
    kudos for fransisco and buyvm/shared teams

• pandabbpandabb Member
    edited April 2016

Thought i edit my post here just to avoid making this thread long, overall i am happy now i got my data back.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

This thread feels weird without affiliate whoring.

• @raindog308 said:

Agreed. Check my signature! Feeling better?

• I'm not much of a fan of hostmybytes. Got a little sandbox running on their phoenix location but getting daily alerts from my monitor.

• @raindog308 said:

hi mod, I just feel satisfied only with their service. no more than that. I do not get paid, or even ask for a dime to write comments. I am not interested in affiliation.
    a very low price on BS makes me excited in this business.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • nepsneps Member

brionz said: Just starting my Hosting Business on Unpentium Web Hosting

Hehe gators.

brionz said: hi mod, I just feel satisfied only with their service. no more than that. I do not get paid, or even ask for a dime to write comments. I am not interested in affiliation. a very low price on BS makes me excited in this business.

Nice actually to see an honest review that is not affiliate whoring. I was just joking because many "reviews" are thinly-disguised "click here to make me rich" posts.

neps said: Hehe gators.

Yeah.

@brionz why is your web site festooned with HostGator logos?

I do like the mustached one though...

Thanked by 1Amitz
  • donbdonb Member

I have shared my experience with them as well. You may take a look here -
    https://lowendbox.com/blog/hostmybytes-pooled-openvz-vps-in-phoenix-or-montreal-starting-at-3-49month-for-1gb/

• AmitzAmitz Member

raindog308 said: I do like the mustached one though...

I also like the Trump-Gator on the left:

@Amitz said:

I want to correct you but I think that's hilarious :P

Thanked by 1Hxxx
  • AmitzAmitz Member

I know that it's a bicycle helmet. But it looks so trumpish! ;)

Thanked by 1Francisco
  • BuyVM is really good but their biggest issue in my opinion is their support and the way they do business. I was talking with them on live chat for a while and had a very good conversation with Francisco.

Decided to order and hit them up with a ticket asking about some specs, prices and told them about some issues last time that payment with paypal/credit card did not work and even said I could scan my driver license and credit card. All I got in reply was "BTC remains the payment option you would need to use."

Guess I'll never be able to use them again, but nice to see some reviews.

Thanked by 1desperand
  • @Wicked said:
    BuyVM is really good but their biggest issue in my opinion is their support and the way they do business. I was talking with them on live chat for a while and had a very good conversation with Francisco.

Decided to order and hit them up with a ticket asking about some specs, prices and told them about some issues last time that payment with paypal/credit card did not work and even said I could scan my driver license and credit card. All I got in reply was "BTC remains the payment option you would need to use."

Guess I'll never be able to use them again, but nice to see some reviews.

Well, they don't expect a 12 year old to order with their parents' credit card. I'd be fine sending ID, but again, I hope that they delete the picture off the server after verification is complete.

What issue did you have with> @doghouch said:

Well, they don't expect a 12 year old to order with their parents' credit card. I'd be fine sending ID, but again, I hope that they delete the picture off the server after verification is complete.

All ID is handled by Aldryic and Aldryic alone. They're also only ever handled over email and once verified the files are cleared out :)

Francisco

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • WickedWicked Member
    edited April 2016

@doghouch said:

Too bad they still weren't interested in my $50/month business :P I read some earlier tickets and the reason why I'm banned from ordering is because I used my partners PayPal account and it didn't match my name and email(ofc).

They refunded the money, but I even said I could verify the PayPal email and I could provide the credit cards connected to that paypal. Been using that same PayPal with OVH, HostHatch and a few other companies for 2 years now.

Only had issues with BuyVM. I understand they are concerned but they should not act like that, I would have no issues using other payment methods (but not BTC because I have never used it)

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2016

Well, all the providers know what I mean when we see "potential customers" who can't justify having a /29:

I'm not saying that you're trying to spam, but providers (especially low-end) cannot afford to risk a fraudulent transaction. The photo doesn't really relate to this, but I just want to emphasize that risk is something that we don't like.

Thanked by 1sin
  • @doghouch said:
    Well, all the providers know what I mean when we see "potential customers" like this:

I'm not saying that you're trying to spam, but providers (especially low-end) cannot afford to risk a fraudulent transaction. The photo doesn't really relate to this, but I just want to emphasize that risk is something that we don't like.

Good point and I do understand. But I was open to provide verification of both payment and personal ID and tried my best to explain. So I think BuyVM should have worked with me to find a solution.

• sinsin Member

doghouch said: Well, all the providers know what I mean when we see "potential customers" who can't justify having a /29:

Man it's like they don't even try, it's the same shitty template they use over and over to get a server at different providers. Love that last name, "Eggleston" lol.

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited April 2016

@sin said:

Accidentally left the last name. Whatever - it's a scammer anyway and "Rhonda Eggleston" probably won't use the privacy policy agreement against me :)

Thanked by 1sin