Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Openvpn ipv4 ipv6 dual stack
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Openvpn ipv4 ipv6 dual stack

I set up openvpn on an ipv4, ipv6 dual stack server. I have a ipv4 only home computer and I would like to connect to a ipv6 only server on internet (like web browsing). While ipv4 work, I'm not able to connect to ipv6 only server. I have the following setup: 1. In Openvpn server conf, I changed "udp" to "udp6". 2. I have "net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1". Is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to change POSTROUING in ip6table? Thanks for your help.

Comments

• You need to set up IPv6 on your home computer.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    You need to set up IPv6 on your home computer.

@stormeye, to check if you have IPv6 connectivity on your home computer, go to this website... http://ip6.me

If the IP address returned is a IPv4 address, it means you don't have IPv6 connectivity, or your computer is avoiding from using it (bad DNS servers, or any other issues)...

• Ole_JuulOle_Juul Member
    edited April 2016

stormeye said: I have a ipv4 only home computer

That would be an early version of Windows XP since all Windows versions since then, and all other operating systems, are dual stack. I'm guessing it is your router that's not passing it. You can fix that in several ways. 6to4 Anycast Relay is about the simplest.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    That would be an early version of Windows XP

Sorry I wasn't clear, I'm using Linux Arch and Windows 10 on home computers. My issue is: My ISP does not give me ipv6 address, so I want to connect my home computers to my server(it has both ipv4 and ipv6) to browse ipv6 websites.

• @Ole_Juul said:
    You need to set up IPv6 on your home computer.

What you are saying is that my openvpn server should give ipv6 ip address to my openvpn client? Instead of only giving 10.8.0.0/24?
    Thanks for your help.

• My ISP doesn't support IPv6 either. It doesn't matter, just use 6to4 anycast on your router and you'll have the support you need.

• pat07pat07 Member
    edited April 2016

If you already have native IPv6 on the server and the IP's aren't being used, then you should just need to setup OpenVPN to route the IP's. If some of them are already in use, then you might have to split the block if you have a /64.

server-ipv6 2001:xxxx:xxxx:xxxx::/64

push "route-ipv6 2000::/3"

You also may have to setup some IP6Tables rules and IPv6 forwarding.

echo "net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding = 1" >> /etc/sysctl.conf

sysctl -p

Edit: Sorry, you can ignore that last bit, I missed that you had already done that.

• @pat07 said:
    If you already have native IPv6 on the server and the IP's aren't being used, then you should just need to setup OpenVPN to route the IP's. If some of them are already in use, then you might have to split the block if you have a /64.

Edit: Sorry, you can ignore that last bit, I missed that you had already done that.

Thank you. I will try later.

• @stormeye said:
    I set up openvpn on an ipv4, ipv6 dual stack server. I have a ipv4 only home computer and I would like to connect to a ipv6 only server on internet (like web browsing). While ipv4 work, I'm not able to connect to ipv6 only server. I have the following setup: 1. In Openvpn server conf, I changed "udp" to "udp6". 2. I have "net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding=1". Is there anything else I need to do? Do I need to change POSTROUING in ip6table? Thanks for your help.

UDP6 makes openvpn listen for VPN connections on the IPv6 address rather than providing IPv6 within the tunnel which is actually what you are trying to do, openVPN is however capable of transporting IPv6 in the tunnel even when you are connecting on IPv4.

Thanked by 1Ole_Juul