Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hi guys. Please suggest VPS to use as VPN & Proxy, cheap but reliable
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hi guys. Please suggest VPS to use as VPN & Proxy, cheap but reliable

mangkookmangkook Member
edited November 2012 in Help

Hi guys

I've been reading LET for a few day nows, and I think I'm ready to ask for some help & suggestion.

I need a really cheap VPS for my personal VPN or proxy tunnel. I'm going to use this vpn or proxy to bypass my isp. They're not bad but they only allow me to use torrent for 4 hours a day during dawn. I just need to use this proxy at daytime for the sake of convenience. I only download anime and japan drama mostly. I had use vpn service offered before but while it's cheap - less than $2 a month - they're inflexible.

I was hoping to find:

1. Fast access from SouthEast Asia
2. Cheap. around 2-3 dollar max a month
3. Specs; 300GB bandwidth or more, 128 Ram or more, Tun/Tap

4. but for my first month, any reliable host will do, just so I can have a taste of vps ;)

bigger space or US server are a plus, if I decided to host owncloud or access hulu. If they allow torrent it'll be a huge bonus. I've read some of the offer on LEB but need some suggestion based on your experience. If theres some fellow SEA or Malaysian user here, I'd really appreciate your help.

I have no experience managing vps before but had my share on few linux distros on my spare times. I also manage a few websites and shared hosting before. I'm willing to learn and experiment.

Please help, and Thank You very much in advance

Comments

• PacketVMPacketVM Member, Host Rep

@mangkook said: Cheap. around 2-3 dollar max a month

If you can pay yearly, I believe somebody can offer that.

• Hello and welcome @mangkook :)

I'd suggest you have a look at OneAsiaHost.com (Singapore) and Edis.at (Hong Kong) if you'd like something low-latency. Do bare in mind, SEA bandwidth is expensive, so you most likely won't be able to pick up a VPS with your requirements with a $3 budget.

On the other hand, West Coast USA may be acceptable.
    AFAIK, BuyVM is torrent friendly on their Canadian IPs (but hosted in San Jose, CA). A VPS with your requirements there will only cost $15/year.

Good luck with your search!

• thank you for the fast reply. I notice that too, committing 14 dollar is not really a problem but since I'm really new and inexperience, I just hate to stuck with unreliable or inflexible host

• @ElliotJ said: if you'd like something low-latency

acceptable high latency not really a problem. Can I use BuyVM canadian IP to access hulu or netflix?

• @mangkook said: I just hate to stuck with unreliable or inflexible host

The LEB/LET community is pretty helpful in that respect; I'm sure if you search around you'll find plenty of reviews for most well known providers.

BuyVM has a pretty decent reputation. I personally have a 128MB VPS in San Jose with them, and have no complains with their service at all.

• BuyVM are far from unreliable, and although you can't upgrade their $15 a year plan, but it doesn't sound like you'd need to.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Your best bet is west coast USA. You will probably need someone tot ake DMCA notices lightly.

• @mangkook said: acceptable high latency not really a problem. Can I use BuyVM canadian IP to access hulu or netflix?

Sure, if it has Canadian geolocation you can just use their VPN to get around it.

Haven't used it personally, but it's nice to know it's there :)

• We have VPS in Los Angeles California for $1.99 per month (paid monthly) which meet all of your requirements. Let me know if your interested or have any questions.

• Really what I would do is get a half way decent box with a desktop and than you can pretty much do what you need. and than just download your house via sftp and download the files you have downloaded. To me this is easier and less likly to get you booted by your vps provider as running what could be determined as a public proxy.

• if your proxy info gets out.

• @BlueVM, thanks. I'll look up to you later.

@24khost said: To me this is easier and less likly to get you booted by your vps provider as running what could be determined as a public proxy

I'm lost.. but can I create private proxy with VPS right? or not? I use to buy socks5 only access with authentication for utorrent. <-- this is my main concern. I might be confuse about something else though..

• Well you can do it that way with a private proxy. But they for me seem to get hacked quite a bit. So my suggestion is to not do a proxy. Get a big enough vps to run a desktop linux distro with your utorrent, then download your files you have download via sftp to your home computer. That way you don't even look like a proxy.

• Run squid behind the VPN of your choice. Secure and easy

• I guess i am just old school. Make yourself less noticable.

• Thanks guys. I'm still comprehending all this sudden burst of info. I'm still learning and trying to keep up. =)

• I use a $3.50/month BuyVM for my VPN. I'm in the UK and the speeds are great.

• zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

Hi,

I've just made a howto for my stable fork of Minstall. Use this to make a fully functional and fast Debian 6 based system. It would work on any 64-mb VPS perfectly:

https://bitbucket.org/zsero/minstall-stable/

After that, just follow any VPN guide from here:
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewforum.php?f=8&sid=d67de01901ddfc1f35a69fa787616f45

Or install Polipo, a fast and small HTTP proxy what you can secure using the following ways:
    change default port

• limit by IP range
    • ask for username and password

I think the combination of the following 3 is perfectly enough to secure a proxy. The most important is the IP range restriction.

Here is my secured Polipo config:

proxyAddress = "123.123.123.123" # your IP address

proxyPort = 12345 # a random port
    allowedClients = 127.0.0.1, 11.22.0.0/16, 33.44.0.0/16, 55.66.0.0/16
    authCredentials = username:xxxx
    proxyName = "localhost"
    diskCacheRoot = ""
    localDocumentRoot = ""
    disableLocalInterface = true
    disableConfiguration = true
    dnsQueryIPv6 = no

Update: Polipo is not a SOCKS5 proxy, so it's not gonna work for torrents / UDP connections.

Thanks zsero !
    There is also another way, to use just SSH, no need to install anything. tunellier has a socks 5 proxy you can use:
    http://board.prometeus.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=828&sid=24aa12a4651df2f29ea4b16806123da9
    That tutorial does not require you to install anything on the VPS, but update the packages can never hurt as well as having a strong password.
    In time you may change the SSH port as well/allow logins only from your IP, etc.
    I do not recommend running torrents on provider's disks, they will not be happy and it can quickly spiral out of control if you have many ppl dling from you.

• mangkookmangkook Member
    edited November 2012

@gubbyte
    where are you located? you're using vps for the same purpose as mine? do they tolerate torrent or light usage of seedbox?

@zsero
    thanks. I really appreciate it. your guide fits my to do list. LET=awesome community!

@Maounique
    also thanks for the idea. this is my original intentions., - just use the server to as tunnel and not waste the bandwidth.

• The fastest connection from Indonesia :

• Stylexnetwork
    • RamNode
    • FrontRangeHosting
  • zserozsero Member
    edited November 2012

Also, here is an image from BTGuard how to configure uTorrent for SOCKS5 proxy:
    https://btguard.com/utorrent.php

@Maounique, feel free to use the minimal Minstall from my stable fork in any of your guides! For tunnelier, why is it better than Putty's built-in dynamic tunnel? And why port 80? For going through super-crazy firewalls?

edited November 2012

@mangkook said: waste the bandwidth.

Actually, you will use more BW if you use it a VPN to proxy your torrent traffic.
    if you only store there the dl file and then you retriefe it when it is full, you will only use the VPS bw to seed, if you do that from home, you will use both your BW and the one on VPS, it will take a longer trip and have bigger latency and will need to keep the computer up so use some electricity too.
    There is a fine line between torrenting through VPN and from the VPS directly, when it is feasible and when it is not, it depends a lot on your usage.

@zsero said: why is it better than Putty's built-in dynamic tunnel? And why port 80? For going through super-crazy firewalls?

It is better because it is simpler and can be used by ppl used to dl something and just work. I found out that putty is kinda intimidating for windows ppl. Dunno why.
    Yes, the super crazy firewalls are the reason I added the port 80 part. It happens quite often...

• mangkookmangkook Member
    edited November 2012

@Maounique said: There is a fine line between torrenting through VPN and from the VPS directly, when it is feasible and when it is not, it depends a lot on your usage.

it's true. I guess I'll have to order my vps and test for myself.

@Maounique said: Yes, the super crazy firewalls are the reason I added the port 80 part. It happens quite often

BTW my isp does block many common port according to my fellow subscriber. It's a valid argument.

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: The fastest connection from Indonesia :

• Stylexnetwork
    • RamNode
    • FrontRangeHosting

I also use FrontRange Hosting as hosting my website, maybe i will buy again for ssh tunnel.

You dont need to buy another, you can use the existing one, remember, for the ssh tunnel you do not need to install anything, so it wont disturb the installation of whatever you have there, will only use BW mostly and a very little cpu.

• SayangAlif, yes as Maounique wrote, we can just enable the socks in ssh for tunnel :)

• I've been trying to make a 3proxy configuration script, as it would be perfect for a SOCKS 5 UDP supporting proxy, but I've given up. I've started a thread here: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/6257/3proxy-install-and-config#Item_1

• @ErawanArifNugroho said: The fastest connection from Indonesia :

• Stylexnetwork
    • RamNode
    • FrontRangeHosting

What locations are these? What data center?

We're just doing testing on our new location and would like to see how it compares.

• I forget about the dc, but this is the IP

Stylexnetworks : 108.166.200.135
    RamNode Atlanta : 199.241.31.150
    FrontRangeHosting Colorado : 198.147.23.113