Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Cloud (CloudWays) Vs DigitalOcean (ServerPilot) Vs SiteGround
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Cloud (CloudWays) Vs DigitalOcean (ServerPilot) Vs SiteGround

Hi All,

I do own a eCommerce store and we are in progress of moving from PrestaShop to WooCommerce. And right now we have built the testing website and it is 80% done. It is having around 62 modules installed to get full functionality of what we need. Right now I am confused to use which service for my hosting.

Right now I have tested these instances.

1) Digital Ocean with ServerPilot

I am hosting my test site in it. And I bough their 40 USD plan which comes with 4GB of Ram and 2 CPU Core

It is loading in 10 seconds

2) Google Cloud Small with CloudWays

I have been told that CloudWays have their own software which is highly optimized. So I gave trial with them with Google Cloud Small. Which has 1.75GB of Ram and 1 vCPU Core.

Site is loading in 6 seconds and all the operations are faster than DigitalOcean with ServerPilot

3) SiteGround

I had a talk with their rep and they told they also have special service for wordpress hosting in their cloud with their unique system my site will be able to load in less than 1 seconds.

Their recommended setup is 6 cores of CPU and 5GB of Ram.

Question ?

Can you please guide me which service I have to go with and from whom I am able to get my server fully optimized for aggressive performance ?

Comments

• Did you try wpengine?

• @imgmoney said:
    Hi All,

Which serverpilot setup? Nginx+php7 with php-fpm, cache and everything?

How big is your database and how many pageviews/s do you have?

And, above all, where are located your clients?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

imgmoney said: Can you please guide me which service I have to go with and from whom I am able to get my server fully optimized for aggressive performance ?

Go for a developer who knows what he is doing and doesn't have to rely on 62 modules to get an e-commerce site going. It will save you some money in the long run and cause less headaches as a bonus.

• exception0x876exception0x876 Member, Host Rep, LIR

go with option 3 to test it if the rep did not lie.

Thanked by 1ehab
  • @K4Y5 said:
    Go for a developer who knows what he is doing and doesn't have to rely on 62 modules to get an e-commerce site going. It will save you some money in the long run and cause less headaches as a bonus.

62 plugins seems like a lot - do you really need them all? First, I'd disable all plugins, including woocommece to get a baseline time. Next I'd start bringing plugins back in 4-5 at a time until I saw a noticeable drop-off in performance. You may find there's just 1 or 2 resource hogs for which you can find a lighter replacement.

Trust me - it will cost a bomb to hire a developer to write functionality for even 10 plugins, if they're anything other than a wrapper for a basic filter, and then there's the after sales support to consider.

• darknessendsdarknessends Member
    edited April 2016

Your site speed will depend on the following things :

1. Your core server performance - a dedicated server will give you better performance.
    2. Your network speed to server - also the location of your primary visitors. As near, as better, not to mention routes matter a lot. You need to be sure the place you are hosting is good enough.
    3. Your webserver/operating system/php - You can find a lot of things which can tune your setup.
    4. Your website itsself - A lot of tuning can happen when you tune the wordpress or magento install, change design, compress images, modify JS, a lot of small tweaks, Cache etc

Above points shall help you run a site. I am sure if you know what you are doing you can simply run it off a dedicated machine and you will end up having better response time than anything else.

Also to mention - the measuring time from different sites like GTmetrix and SiteSpeed etc are highly related to their server's routes and locations to your server as well.

Thanked by 1imgmoney
  • K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@imgmoney Spending time over optimizing your stack, using some caching mechanism along with minifying CSS, JS and further compressing images and then serving static assets from a cookieless domain for starters will help you a lot more than just mindlessly scaling your hardware.

/$0.02

• IshaqIshaq Member

@exception0x876 said:
    go with option 3 to test it if the rep did not lie.

I have a feeling it's just a sales rep telling him anything to get a sale ;)

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

@Ishaq said:
    I have a feeling it's just a sales rep telling him anything to get a sale ;)

I dunno, SiteGround is definitely in the upper tier of shared hosting quality.

Thanked by 1TheKiller
  • @jarland said:
    I dunno, SiteGround is definitely in the upper tier of shared hosting quality.

+1, They're one of the best service provider in market.

• I have used DigitalOcean for years and used affiliate of site ground but it seems both are good in cloud services

• @Junkless said:
    Did you try wpengine?

nope , going to do that. Its on my list now.

Geekoine said: Which serverpilot setup? Nginx+php7 with php-fpm, cache and everything?

I am using the same setup as you mentioned. And also I am having WP-Rocket installed. I think I need to get my site optimized through experts too or make my server optimized for it.

And even our demo site is too slow. Clients are Indian based and NRI.

K4Y5 said: @imgmoney Spending time over optimizing your stack, using some caching mechanism along with minifying CSS, JS and further compressing images and then serving static assets from a cookieless domain for starters will help you a lot more than just mindlessly scaling your hardware.

Yes , I think I have to get server and web expert to do that.

As of now , I have planned to with Google Cloud "n1-standard-4" . Do you guys think Amazon with same spec can do better than google ?

Thanks to all people for all their inputs. Correct me if I am wrong in anything.

• Knowing folks from SiteGround, they run a good company and provide a great service. AFAIK they implemented quite a lot of custom tweaks to their shared hosting services.

• I have tried different solution now.

HHVM , I am seeing slight difference in speed when comparing with website installed in serverpilot. Still the server is not optimized properly ( nginx config )

I am now going to give a try with easyengine.

Can someone shed some light ?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited April 2016

imgmoney said: Can someone shed some light ?

At some point, you have to consider that server configuration cannot override application performance. WooCommerce is not well known for it's speedy page response time. Nor is Wordpress at all with 50+ plugins.

The best e-commerce sites that perform well are not built on Wordpress. You might want to consider something like Magento Enterprise or building your own application from the ground up to fit your needs.

Thanked by 1BeardyUnixGuy
  • jarland said: At some point, you have to consider that server configuration cannot override application performance. WooCommerce is not well known for it's speedy page response time. Nor is Wordpress at all with 50+ plugins.

I can see 90% of CPU and 75% of RAM are still free to consume. So proper tweak can load the website faster right ? And I am looking for application which will adjust the settings on its own.

jarland said: The best e-commerce sites that perform well are not built on Wordpress. You might want to consider something like Magento Enterprise or building your own application from the ground up to fit your needs.

I understand Magento is better than WooCoomerce but as per our current situation we cannot afford for Magento development. But we do have plan to migrate later on.

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@imgmoney said:
    I have tried different solution now.

HHVM , I am seeing slight difference in speed when comparing with website installed in serverpilot. Still the server is not optimized properly ( nginx config )

I am now going to give a try with easyengine.

Can someone shed some light ?

I have sent you a message.

• hiphiphip0hiphiphip0 Member
    edited April 2016

I have a client running woocommerce site on linode 4G plan.

30+ plugin installed

1500-2500 IP/day

PHP 5.6 + Memcache + W3 Total Cache + CDN