Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help please
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Help please

IxapeIxape Member
edited December 2011 in General

Can some guys setup a cron to download this file at 06:15 AM UK time tomorrow morning (the next time it comes around) please. Thanks.

http://d.ixape.com/100mb.test

Comments

• Why?

• Yes, why?

• 15 6 7 12 3 wget (url)> /dev/null

Should work

• KuJoeKuJoe Member, Host Rep

What timezone is that exactly? I'm assuming the UK has multiple timezones like the US right? Do you observe DST?

• @KuJoe said: What timezone is that exactly? I'm assuming the UK has multiple timezones like the US right?

No, there are only one time zone in UK.

• The name of that time zone or the difference from gmt would be helpful.

• ... GMT would be it, sir. Greenwich Mean Time, as in Greenwich, UK.

Thanked by 1kylix
  • exussum gave you what you wanted. Just put that line in your crontab file and you are good. Job runs as per the system timezone. If you are using UTC/GMT it's alright, else make adjustments accordingly.

However, it would be helpful for you to have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cron to understand what he wrote.

Like the others, I also don't see a purpose in just downloading the file!

• Really? Nobody's made the guess yet that he's wanting to test network attributes?

• Offtopic though, sarcasm seems to be passionately practised nowadays!

• AldryicAldryic Member
    edited December 2011

Not at all. Sarcasm would require the long awaited <sarcasm></sarcasm> tags for easy reference. This must have been an honest inquiry as to how such proactive, intelligent, and insightful people could've overlooked an obvious option!

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

@aldryic Didn't I warn you about unzipping in public? Now roll it back up and get back to work.

:3

Francisco

• Dammit boss, you ruin all my fun :(

• divyadivya Member
    edited December 2011

@Aldryic said: This must have been an honest inquiry as to how such proactive, intelligent, and insightful people could've overlooked an obvious option!

@Aldryic you seem to have problem even with community members helping each other. But it is your personal problem/preference. (I've seen you flaming people requesting for help elsewhere)

What I am really concerned about is, when I raise a support ticket at BuyVM.net, there is every chance that this same aldryic might attend to my ticket.(I use BuyVM services and loved the services and admired Frans attitude towards clients and people in general. It is unfortunate that the support team might be much different)

You would do good for BuyVM if you remove the link from your signature!

And have fun your own way!

*Hope you are mature enough not to start searching the BuyVM client database for my account.

EST (GMT -5) is 1:15AM BTW

Damn, didn't realize my test VPS wasn't set to EST, sorry I missed the test. :(

• @Ixape said: Can some guys setup a cron to download

Hi, try and be a bit more descriptive in your subject line. I looked over your topic twice just because I thought "I don't want to have to open it to find out." A description is usually helpful when it's more than just 2 words, and will pay dividends in the amount of people that will then pay attention to the thread.

I'll set a Cron for you.

@divya said: *Hope you are mature enough not to start searching the BuyVM client database for my account.

And what if he was to remove your account? Would that make him "immature?" Obviously you aren't happy with him, so perhaps if he did remove your account it would be in both yours and his best interests.

As for being "mature," if you really were this holy shining light of maturity you would have discussed this in private with him. Instead of trying to big-shoe yourself in public giving him a backhander. That would be the "mature" thing to do, and clearly well above your level of "maturity" and as illustrated, mine as well.

• People are all laughs until the joke points their way :P

On a more serious note, @divya, it's not my concern if you 'like' me or not. You're making a judgement call about people you know very little about; if you had any support tickets, you would notice that Anthony and myself are strictly professional. A stark contrast to how we might interact with peers on common ground. Did you completely miss the next few posts between Fran and I that made the joke obvious, even for folks that don't know me that well?

Think of the merit behind your claims. If we were truly such horrible people, BuyVM would not be the success that it is now. The only difference between Francisco and myself, is that he uses much more lube :P

@divya said: (I've seen you flaming people requesting for help elsewhere)

Really? And where would that be? If I owe someone an apology for unwarranted irritation, I would greatly appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

Bottom line is.. lighten up.

• miTgiBmiTgiB Member
    edited December 2011

@divya said: *Hope you are mature enough not to start searching the BuyVM client database for my account.

I've seen lots of people that would irritate me but never enough to cancel their account, and would put Aldryic in the same boat, he wouldn't let personal differences in public affect his actions at BuyVM.

Clients on the other hand seem to take the exact opposite stance, and leave over the most trivial things, hell I've even done it, argued with someone in public and left their service, so human nature is indeed strange at times.

Thanked by 2drmike Mon5t3r
  • Oy @miTgiB, you're quoting the wrong person!

....that's it i'm cancelling my hostigation account!!!!

cough oh, maybe it applies to me as well ;)

• @Joel said: you're quoting the wrong person!

Yeah, looks like I quoted a quote.

• @miTgiB said: I've seen lots of people that would irritate me but never enough to cancel their account,

On the other hand, abuse of staff is against many company's ToS/AUP.

• @drmike said: On the other hand, abuse of staff is against many company's ToS/AUP.

It's an unofficial policy with us. We understand that folks get frustrated (especially with a language barrier when we don't have someone fluent), but repeated belligerence is a pretty quick way to get the "Our apologies, but we will not be able to continue hosting you past your current billing cycles, here's our recommendations on where else you can go since you're not happy with us" reply :P

• Back on topic ... If you wanted to log the results of that change > /dev/null to a file where you want the output

• So is this like tomorrow like tomorrow or tomorrow like today?

• Its tomorrow as in today, So its a little late ...

• @drmike said: So is this like tomorrow like tomorrow or tomorrow like today?

Tomorrow is today, yesterday.

• I honestly don't expect anyone to terminate my account for a public row, and it wouldn't actually matter even if it happens. Neither would I cancel my service over things like this. However, I doubt if personalities/attitudes would change drastically between personal and professional life.

@Joel it's good that you know yourself very well. And believe me, there is hardly anything between me and aldryic that needs to be discussed in private.

@Aldryic I don't really take things to heart. But you know exactly what you were doing when you started this. And ... there is a difference between using lube and being polite. There is also a difference between not using lube and being arrogant. All personal preferences though.

And finally, I prefer having fun along with others!

• So just chuckle while saying "oh, you asshole" so that we can just move on :P