Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mail server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Mail server

GCatGCat Member

I need to setup a multi-domain mail server for a client, the box is used to send 10-20 emails a day maximum.

Specs:

128 MB RAM

20 GB HDD

1 IPv4

Any tutorial for making it? I've got the domain configured, just need to get the Mail server up and running. I've never setup a Mail server on this low specifications before.

Comments

• rmlhhdrmlhhd Member
    edited April 2016

Where do you want it to be located?

• GCatGCat Member

@rmlhhd said:
    Where do you want it to be located?

Sorry it I wasn't clear, we have the box just need to install it for mail server

• info_hashinfo_hash Member
    edited April 2016

You'll need more than 128MB RAM, at least 256MB ram (without ClamAV) but mailcow is pretty cool, and easy to setup...

Thanked by 1ninaprasetyo
  • Why not just use a 3rd party service for such low volume?

• K4Y5K4Y5 Member

@jarland / mxroute for sending mails without hassle and disappointment.

Thanked by 1jar
  • GCatGCat Member

I've looked at mailinabox/mailcow, but they all have a UI - we have our own server for the UI, so a management panel is useless. Looking just for raw instructions on it.

• elgselgs Member
    edited April 2016

@GCat, I have the expertise to do that. I can help you to setup a virtual machine. All domain, mail account, alias are in 3 mysql tables. You add record in these tables to manage your domains, email addresses and alias. Please pm me if you need help.

You need to have a domain name for the mail, pointing MX to this server. An SSL certificate for the mail domain. You will get encrypted SMTP and IMAP client interfaces.

• @GCat said:
    I've looked at mailinabox/mailcow, but they all have a UI - we have our own server for the UI, so a management panel is useless.

It's not the panel that's important, it's reliability. Maintaining high delivery rates is not a set it and forget it operation. What does the UI have to do with anything in this context anyway?

• GCatGCat Member

Solved.

• GCat said: I've looked at mailinabox/mailcow, but they all have a UI

They also have all the config files you need to set up something backed by a database and code your own ui if you want to :)

GCat said: Solved.

:-)

• IshaqIshaq Member

Requested.

This discussion has been closed.