Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HostUs network issues in Atlanta?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HostUs network issues in Atlanta?

I use HostUs in Atlanta, and I woke up to see lots of alerts about my service being offline from my monitoring tools. Does anyone know what's going on? There were a ton of issues 2 hours ago or so.

Comments

• Did you open a ticket and wait for a reply or check announcement areas before opening a thread?

Thanked by 1doghouch
  • They're experiencing issues with their network. Like @AutoSnipe said, there is a "search function..." (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/79148/hostus-london-packet-loss#latest)

• fireswapfireswap Member
    edited March 2016

@doghouch said:
    They're experiencing issues with their network. Like AutoSnipe said, there is a "search function..." (https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/79148/hostus-london-packet-loss#latest)

I saw that but it says London, and I am in Atlanta

• It's bouncing around, <1 min blips. I'm seeing the same on my monitoring.

• doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited March 2016

@fireswap said:

Well, this isn't LowEndHelpDesk regardless. Did you ask @AlexanderM?

• dailydaily Member

Lets get this straight. There is nothing wrong with asking if other people are having issues with a provider. Kinda the point of the forum.

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep

We have been getting DDOS attacks in all locations against all our IP ranges, Atlanta has been resolved

Alexander

• nepsneps Member

AlexanderM said: We have been getting DDOS attacks in all locations against all our IP ranges, Atlanta has been resolved

All locations? Haven't noticed any issues with my HostUS services in Hong Kong and LA. (Hope it stays that way.)

• better keep your fingers crossed, they are DDoSing almost everybody

@neps said:
    All locations? Haven't noticed any issues with my HostUS services in Hong Kong and LA. (Hope it stays that way.)

• dailymc said: Lets get this straight. There is nothing wrong with asking if other people are having issues with a provider. Kinda the point of the forum.

It exactly isn't the point of this forum.

• dailydaily Member

@JoeMerit said:
    It exactly isn't the point of this forum.

It's to discuss providers. If you have a problem with a post, have you tried flagging it?

• @AlexanderM said:
    We have been getting DDOS attacks in all locations against all our IP ranges, Atlanta has been resolved

Alexander

How do we know it won't happen again?

• fireswap said: How do we know it won't happen again?

are you trolling?

• @fireswap said: How do we know it won't happen again?

No one can honestly answer this question. Can you predict the future?

• nepsneps Member

fireswap said: How do we know it won't happen again?

You could move your data to a private, offline network. No one can DDoS you at 127.0.0.1!

Thanked by 1doghouch
    edited March 2016

@JoeMerit said:

@Kobian said:
    No one can honestly answer this question. Can you predict the future?

Well he mentioned the problem was resolved in Atlanta. I'm asking about if it will happen again in the context of current attacks. I suppose I'll rephrase it - what steps have you taken that will try to block this kind of attack in the future? What did you do differently that you weren't already doing?

• DDOS can overwhelm any network no matter what steps they take. Does that answer your question?

• @JoeMerit said:
    DDOS can overwhelm any network no matter what steps they take. Does that answer your question?

Yes, but I want to know what they are doing differently now so that the same issue that was occurring for the past 3 days won't happen again. I understand that there's an upper limit to blocking attacks - there's also an upper limit to sending attacks.

So no, that does not answer my question. I asked what steps they took that were different from what they already did, and you just came in here going full retard.

• ClouviderClouvider Member, Patron Provider

fireswap said: there's also an upper limit to sending attacks.

Uhm. That depends. Botnet can be of an infinite size?

edited March 2016

@Clouvider said:
    Uhm. That depends. Botnet can be of an infinite size?

There is a finite limit to the number of internet connected devices. Just as attackers can increase the number of bots, defenders can increase their transit capacity. Realistically, if you have enough money you can block any attack.

• Makes me wonder though if hostus.us lacks mitigation capacity.
    They advertise 20gbps ddos protection, what if 5 people receive 20gbps at the same time, are they then down?

• AlexanderMAlexanderM Member, Top Host, Host Rep
    edited March 2016

@tr1cky said:
    Makes me wonder though if hostus.us lacks mitigation capacity.
    They advertise 20gbps ddos protection, what if 5 people receive 20gbps at the same time, are they then down?

Our lowest capacity is 20Gbps some locations have more than double that with some 500Gbps - unfortunately attacks have been much larger and most locations not effected. A full RFO will be sent - at the time of writing we are mitigating a 30Gbps DDoS in London.

A DDoS against 5 people is different from 2K IP's being attacked,

• AlexanderM said: unfortunately attacks have been much larger and most locations not effected

How large were the attacks in Atlanta and what is the mitigation capacity in Atlanta now?

• @AlexanderM said:
    A DDoS against 5 people is different from 2K IP's being attacked,

Why don't you switch to voxility in London?

• @AlexanderM: are you claiming that your Psychz based locations can mitigate 500Gbps ?

• Psychz advertises 500gbps protection

• @neps said:
    You could move your data to a private, offline network. No one can DDoS you at 127.0.0.1!

@marioco's brother can ddos you locally

• @fireswap said:
    Psychz advertises 500gbps protection

Probably still singlehomed.

• LA is down now? :/