Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No way to figure out which one is for me this time
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

No way to figure out which one is for me this time

FerohirFerohir Member

Hi everyone,

I am a long time reader of this web-site and I was dedicated to stay as a reader until have an issue which I am not able to find a proper answer, so here I am as a member. I purchased VPS services after reading your reviews here (one from Pielayer and one from needassistant). Both of them are offering me decent services by the way.

This time, I am working on a project which I really need a better VPS.
I setup my VPS pretty much same all the time.

Centos 6 32bit - gives way better response time with nginx but I have no idea why. (maybe low ram and 64bit dont play well)
php7(opcache), nginx & mariadb - needed for wordpress
monit (for restarting failed services)

So what do you expect, you can ask?

Need low response times and fast network. 100mbit shared connections are not ok due to abusers slow down things.

What resources do you need?

Even 1.0gb ram(1.5 would be great), 3 gb real ssd drive with 100gb bandwith more than enough for me.

My average cpu usage is around 0.03 monthly. But I want my visitors not to wait.

2 virtual cpu

Location can be Germany, France or Austria.

I am currently considering one of these: Vultr (has good reviews), online.net (so cheap seems nothing to lose) and OVH (seems good but offer one core only)

Should I get VPS from one of them?

Comments

• Online vps real good.
    But without raid

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

Ferohir said: I am a long time reader of this web-site and I was dedicated to stay as a reader until have an issue which I am not able to find a proper answer, so here I am as a member.

Welcome!

Ferohir said: Location can be Germany, France or Austria.

Digital Ocean is in Frankfurt, Germany. They're Vultr++.

In between France and Germany is BuyVM in Luxembourg.

Either one of those would provide a good balance of performance, service, and price.

Thanked by 2Junkless Ferohir
  • IkoulaIkoula Member, Host Rep

Hello and welcome,

Are you open to any other provider or your choice is limited to online, ovh and vultr ?

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • TheOnlyDKTheOnlyDK Member
    edited March 2016

Get 2 or more arubacloud, setup HAProxy on it and call it a day.

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • TionTion Member

Is it necessary to run the the stack yourself?
    From what I see you simply want to run web applications without any hicups not matter what.
    Going for a good shared hoster provider seems like a better solution for you.

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • bersybersy Member

Take a look at LeaseWeb and their Frankfurt location.

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • HeKazHeKaz Member

@Tion said:
    Is it necessary to run the the stack yourself?
    From what I see you simply want to run web applications without any hicups not matter what.
    Going for a good shared hoster provider seems like a better solution for you.

Which shared hosting provider provide any kind of good performance? In my experience, all I've seen is fairly low performance. My father's genealogy site is still at a shared hosting provider and he hits all kind of limit at a few thousands unique visitors per month...

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • @HeKaz said:
    Which shared hosting provider provide any kind of good performance? In my experience, all I've seen is fairly low performance. My father's genealogy site is still at a shared hosting provider and he hits all kind of limit at a few thousands unique visitors per month...

Stay away from the big EIG "unlimited" hosts, find somewhere with limits that actually advertised.

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • TionTion Member

@HeKaz said:
    Which shared hosting provider provide any kind of good performance? In my experience, all I've seen is fairly low performance.

I can agree with you and have to admit that I dont know a single american, british or international focused company that can provide reliable services.
    In regards to german companies all-inkl and netcup are pretty well known for quality service. netcup is still a little small though and the support might not be top grade.
    Leaseweb also offers webhosting. While I only used their VPS line in the past I had no complains about their support.

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • HeKazHeKaz Member

@linuxthefish said:
    Stay away from the big EIG "unlimited" hosts, find somewhere with limits that actually advertised.

He is not in an unlimited place at the moment and I still find it pretty much average.

Any suggestions for a good, not unlimited shared hosting in USA or Canada?

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

HeKaz said: Any suggestions for a good, not unlimited shared hosting in USA or Canada?

Dreamhost or BuyShared.

Thanked by 1Ferohir
  • Thank you very much for helping.