Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone tried BoxBilling?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone tried BoxBilling?

FritzFritz Veteran
edited November 2012 in Reviews

I just found the link to the website
Looks promising and free :p
do you think it can be an alternative to WHMCS?

Comments

• Seen it and used it before. Never for a business however.

• @gsrdgrdghd That it? Feels like there's a new thread on this every month..

• I did a search for boxbilling beforehand and found nothing.
    This topic can be closed I guess :)

• jhjh Member

@Fritz said: do you think it can be an alternative to WHMCS?

No, not now, not ever.

• The free version has limitations , they offer a pro version which costs like $5/mo with all features/.

• @jhadley said: No, not now, not ever.

Open Source can be handful I believe.

@gameon said: The free version has limitations , they offer a pro version which costs like $5/mo with all features/.

Free version is suitable for starter hoster. After we have enough clients it's better to move to a better one.

• @Fritz said: After we have enough clients it's better to move to a better one.

Be careful with migrations , these can always be a PITA ;) all the best though cheers

• @Fritz said: Free version is suitable for starter hoster. After we have enough clients it's better to move to a better one.

Good luck with that. In this business if you can't spare an additional 12/month (for WHMCS license) it's going to be a lot more difficult.

• SimpleNodeSimpleNode Member
    edited November 2012

We're moving from BB to HostBill, and we've already written a migration script (migrates SolusVM too!). It's not actually that difficult, however if I knew it's shortcomings orignally, I would not have used BoxBilling in the first place.

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

BoxBilling doesn't look too bad, and it's cheap. I currently use WHMCS though. Can anyone tell me whats wrong with BoxBilling? Pros/Cons in comparison to WHMCS?

• Cons:-
    It's new
    Less believed
    Bugs (But as I know you can ask for refund)
    Less Integration
    Some said is slightly tough to configure or so (not sure).

Pros:-
    Clean interface
    cheap

*Note:- Never used it (As heard or looks to me), nor used any other as well as I am not a webhost provider.

@SimpleNode is using BB see their BB page here:- https://simpleno.de/billing/index.php/

• @Hassan_Reverse @MikeIn Seriously, if you are looking at using BoxBilling for the long run, I'd look at WHMCS or HostBill. It may cost more, but definitely worth the effort. Things can get easily out of control with BoxBilling.

• @gameon said: Be careful with migrations , these can always be a PITA ;) all the best though cheers

That's why I want to discuss it here. I don't want those PITA things. :)

@HalfEatenPie said: Good luck with that. In this business if you can't spare an additional 12/month (for WHMCS license) it's going to be a lot more difficult.

I know that, I just think that BoxBilling has a bright future. All Open Source has that isn't?

@SimpleNode said: @Hassan_Reverse @MikeIn Seriously, if you are looking at using BoxBilling for the long run, I'd look at WHMCS or HostBill. It may cost more, but definitely worth the effort. Things can get easily out of control with BoxBilling.

How about AWBS? (Out of topic btw)

• HassanHassan Member, Patron Provider

@Fritz said: How about AWBS? (Out of topic btw)

AWBS looks soooo outdated

• In boxbilling it is hard to tell if people have paid their invoice.

• WHMCS quoted us $250 to move from boxbilling to whmcs.....

• @Fritz said: I know that, I just think that BoxBilling has a bright future. All Open Source has that isn't?

Just because its open source doesn't mean it automatically has a bright future.

Personally, from my experience with BoxBilling, I just don't see it working out and even considering it for a start-up company I think is a bad idea.

In the long run, (in my opinion) if you want to have a solid business you should start with WHMCS or HostBill (or your own solution). WHMCS/HostBill because there's already a giant community out there to help you with what you need (BoxBilling lacks in this, especially since its the Community aspect that helps out with the Open-Source projects the most) and your own solution should be able to work perfect for what you need (but why reinvent the wheel?)

• @HalfEatenPie said: In this business if you can't spare an additional 12/month (for WHMCS license) it's going to be a lot more difficult.

Worth emphasizing again.

Cutting corners on stuff like a reliable billing/support platform and how are you going to explain if/when you migrate from BB to ______ to your customers?

• We just migrated from BB to a HB License. Migration was fairly easy (we wrote our own migration script, HB wanted $xxxx for "custom development"), some things had to be done manually, but that only took around 15mins.

HostBill is a far better system, without some stupid limitations.

Our orignal plan to save a few $$$ hasn't really worked (BB is less than $4/m afaik, HB is owned only @$199).

• NodeDeploy can afford WHMCS and we do utilise the WHMCS software however we've contemplated moving to an alternative a few times. If we can switch to (what could be) an equally as good piece of software while cutting costs... surely it would be stupid not to change over?

Just my opinion on the matter.

• @PhilND said: If we can switch to (what could be) an equally as good piece of software while cutting costs... surely it would be stupid not to change over?

This was my logic. It didn't really turn out well.