Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

XEN Cheap VPS + Update
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

XEN Cheap VPS + Update

edited December 2011 in General

Hey, guys I have been experiencing around with linux for about 1 day, now I know how to official configure a Server, with lighty and mysql (optimized to my needs) php5.... The problem is I bought a 1.25$/month openVZ and I couldn't get mysql to run because of the 80mb ram limit Lol, I even tried the optimizing it like crazy, but kept getting fork load or some allocate memory when I try to start the service, but I got to play around with this vps and know how to install my stuff to get everything working!

So you're prob wondering what's next?

I was reading online and I heard xen is better then openvz (if it's not oversold) so I really want to find a good 3-5$/month host, with a minimum of 386mb ram, I am not sure if I can do 256, probably could though. Would mysql/lighty/php run on a 256mb right (Hell if I optimize mysql some more) it could run most definitely? I am looking for a long term relationship host, so only offer host's that you've been with for years or over 6+months, I really need to find a good and cheap one, with the ability to expand and grow!

Btw I just want to say thanks to everyone for your help, Linux is a awesome once I got done reading all the tutorials and actually figuring everything out! I love my debian 5 32bit too, I tried arch but ran into to many problems :(

-Nick

Comments

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited December 2011

@monkuar said: The problem is I bought a 1.25$/month openVZ and I couldn't get mysql to run because of the 80mb ram limit

No, you haven't read enough. Disable innodb. And run just one php process.

And $5 isn't enough for a 384MB. Even for a 256MB with a decent provider maybe.

• @monkuar said: Hey, guys I have been experiencing around with linux for about 1 day, now I know how to official configure a Server

Well I knew college was a waste but I didn't know it was that big of one. :)

Someone please kindly point out the difference between linux and debian. I'm out of time and have to go ring my bell.

• The simplest way to put it is, Debian is Linux. BSD is not linux.

Here's an article you can just skim through for basic differences between BSD and Nix: http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/10things/10-differences-between-linux-and-bsd/1709

• Aaaand, if you're interested, UNIX/Linux/Posix explained: http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/what-is-the-difference-between-linux-and-unix/

• @yomero said: No, you haven't read enough. Disable innodb. And run just one php process.

And $5 isn't enough for a 384MB. Even for a 256MB with a decent provider maybe.

Lol? urpad.net has a 512mb 5$plan?

Yeah I know I don't know differences that much, idc if it's linux or debian, I just know how to get everything working now, using debian 32 bit lol

And I do disable innob in my my.cnf file actually here it is:

Main MySQL server options

[mysqld]
    port = 3306
    socket = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock

No locking at all!

skip-locking

Set internal buffers, caches and stacks very low

key_buffer = 2M
    max_allowed_packet = 16K
    table_cache = 1
    sort_buffer_size = 16K
    read_buffer_size = 16K
    read_rnd_buffer_size = 1K
    net_buffer_length = 1K
    thread_stack = 16K

Don't listen on a TCP/IP port at all.

Will still work provided all access is done via localhost

skip-networking
    server-id = 1

Skip Berkley and Inno DB types

skip-bdb
    skip-innodb

Set the query cache low

query_cache_limit = 1048576
    query_cache_size = 1048576
    query_cache_type = 1

Set various memory limits very low, disable memory-hogging extras

[mysqldump]
    quick
    max_allowed_packet = 16K
    [mysql]
    no-auto-rehash
    [isamchk]
    key_buffer = 16K
    sort_buffer_size = 16K
    [myisamchk]
    key_buffer = 16K
    sort_buffer_size = 16K
    [mysqlhotcopy]
    interactive-timeout

Very lightweight and optimized pretty good, still doesn't work on my 128mb ram (1.25$host), but your "running 1 php process" I dont understand, because I do see like 5 of them in the services windows, how do I go about just getting to get 1 running? I am using virtualization cp panel I guess,

Thanks guys

• yomeroyomero Member
    edited December 2011

If you will put code, use a 'pre' tag. That big black font is ugly.

Btw, setting that buffers and table caches so low, well, if your site isn't having lots of traffic is ok. Otherwise you will trash the I/O on that server.

And 512 MB for $5 in OPENVZ, not Xen. Isn't the same.

Show an htop capture

• dmmcintyre3dmmcintyre3 Member
    edited December 2011

365mb ram KVM VPS for $36.50/year (with $2.99 setup fee)
    https://kiloserve.com/billing/cart.php?a=add&pid=28&carttpl=modern

It's KVM not Xen (their Xen is out of stock), performance is great, and KVM is full hardware virtualization so it will act just like a real server.

• @dmmcintyre3 said: 365mb ram KVM VPS for $36.50/year (with $2.99 setup fee)

Yeah, that is a good offer n_n

Just is yearly, if you want to pay :P

• InfinityInfinity Member, Host Rep

KiloServe's KVMs are awesome. :)