Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can I kill a specific firefox profile?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How can I kill a specific firefox profile?

oldburyoldbury Member

I created a new firefox profile in centos. I want to know how to close one firefox profile without closing the others.

I tried this command : kill firefox -P prfile2 didn't work.

Comments

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2016

If there are arguments in the firefox process that show the profile, try pkill

e.g. pkill -f "firefox other-identifiable-unique-to-profile-arguments"

Thanked by 1oldbury
  • @ricardo said:
    If there are arguments in the firefox process that show the profile, try pkill

e.g. pkill -f "firefox other-identifiable-unique-to-profile-arguments"

How can I see the arguments in the firefox process?

• ps wwwaux | grep firefox

• @ricardo said:
    ps wwwaux | grep firefox

It give me the number of two process profiles but that change with every restart.

Also the location of the profile that i tried with pkill -f didn't work

• ricardoricardo Member
    edited March 2016

I think your definition of profile is different from mine then. If you load up a specific firefox profile with the -P flag, it should be there in the command line.

I have a setup using lots of profiles and the command I enter is :

DISPLAY=:10 firefox -no-remote -profile /path/to/profile/123 -height 600 -width 100 "about:blank" &> /dev/null & echo $!

If I want to kill a specific profile, the "profile" argument is there to be matched on, or with this command, the PID is returned.

Failing that, you can use xdotool to manage your windows and close them, but you'd probably get a warning from firefox if you have multiple tabs/windows open for that profile.

It's probably easiest to use something like pkill.

Thanked by 1oldbury
  • @ricardo said:
    I think your definition of profile is different from mine then. If you load up a specific firefox profile with the -P flag, it should be there in the command line.

I have a setup using lots of profiles and the command I enter is :

DISPLAY=:10 firefox -no-remote -profile /path/to/profile/123 -height 600 -width 100 "about:blank" &> /dev/null & echo $!

If I want to kill a specific profile, the "profile" argument is there to be matched on, or with this command, the PID is returned.

Failing that, you can use xdotool to manage your windows and close them, but you'd probably get a warning from firefox if you have multiple tabs/windows open for that profile.

It's probably easiest to use something like pkill.

Can you give an example of kill you profile "123" ?

• Sure
    pkill -f "/path/to/profile/123 "

Thanked by 1oldbury
  • tommytommy Member
    edited March 2016

He want complete and working command. Didnt care about everything else.

Welcome to leb fiver but for free